A Sterling Ring And A Sterling Turquoise Earring

diggin4clad

Elite Member
On Sunday, Sue and I once again hunted an old high school site that dates back to the late 1800's. We spent just over two hours and came up with 104 clad coins worth $13.43 and I dug a sterling ring with teddy bears on it and a sterling turquoise ear ring which I believe is of Native American origin because of the buffalo shaped hallmark on the back of it.

Attachments

• DSCN2070.jpg
    DSCN2070.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN2074.jpg
    DSCN2074.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Image (11).jpg
    Image (11).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Nice silver finds. I like finding Turquoise jewelry. Congrats on a successful hunt..

Nice silver finds. I like finding Turquoise jewelry. Congrats on a successful hunt..
I found out that the earring is NOT genuine Native American but a commercially made item intended for sale to tourists. Thanks for your reply.

Killer finds!! That school must be a virgin site with that many coins found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It may have been hunted years ago because we've only taken two silver coins and some sterling out of here but with the amount of clad there, I'd say no one's hunted it in quite awhile. Thanks for replying

Nice hunt there! I believe those are actually the grateful dead bears on that ring... Congrats!
A brief excerpt from the article I got the picture from:
"Dancing Bears"
A series of stylized dancing bears was drawn by Bob Thomas as part of the back cover for the album History of the Grateful Dead, Volume One (Bear’s Choice) (1973). Thomas reported that he based the bears on a lead sort from an unknown font.[104] The bear is a reference to Owsley “Bear” Stanley, who recorded and produced the album. Bear himself wrote, “the bears on the album cover are not really ‘dancing’. I don’t know why people think they are; their positions are quite obviously those of a high-stepping march.”

Attachments

• GDDancingBears.jpg
    GDDancingBears.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 102
Nice hunt there! I believe those are actually the grateful dead bears on that ring... Congrats!
A brief excerpt from the article I got the picture from:
"Dancing Bears"
A series of stylized dancing bears was drawn by Bob Thomas as part of the back cover for the album History of the Grateful Dead, Volume One (Bear’s Choice) (1973). Thomas reported that he based the bears on a lead sort from an unknown font.[104] The bear is a reference to Owsley “Bear” Stanley, who recorded and produced the album. Bear himself wrote, “the bears on the album cover are not really ‘dancing’. I don’t know why people think they are; their positions are quite obviously those of a high-stepping march.”
Thanks for the info. The images definitely look similar but the ring was made in Mexico so does that lower the chances of it being the Grateful Dead bears? There are a total of NINE bears on the ring. The ring weighs in at a hefty 8.8 grams.

Nice finds! From the back, that earring almost looks like a fishing weight! (except fishing weights aren't sterling, wish they were though :lol:)

Back
Top Bottom