TRX, Pro-Pointer, X-Pointer, Fisher, Cen-Tech detection fields

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
I currently use a Cen-Tech pinpointer, but am ready to move on. Was leaning towards the major depth of the TRX until I started reading it had "no side detection." That is NOT true. It definitely has a unique detection field shape--still deciding if it's better, worse, or just as usable as the others with practice. I'm sure it would be confusing if you are used to sweeping with the side of the blade, not the tip.

So I did some research and cobbled together this graphic of tip and side detection ranges of a penny, some based on others' air-testing and some of my own. It's all air-testing, so take it as such. I had the least info on the X-Pointer, the curve is estimated based on a few depth tests and one side test. The Cen-Tech can be adjusted where it is pretty reliable, just on the verge of falsing, or anywhere in-between. Pretty reliable means even a fair amount of side pressure on the blade won't cause a false. Just on the verge -- any side pressure WILL cause a false. I usually run somewhere between the two unless I'm really rooting around in a hole.

Obviously there are other features to consider, but I think getting a handle on the TRX detection pattern vs. the others might help folks decide if it's going to work for them.

TRX (Orange)
Depth 3", Side 3+"

X-Pointer (Dotted Green)
Depth 2", Side 1.25"

Pro-Pointer (Black)
Depth 1.5", Side ~1.5"

Fisher (Red)
Depth 0.75", Side 0.5"

Cen-Tech (Yellow/Dotted Yellow)
No False Depth 0.5", Side 0.625"
Edge-of-Falsing Depth 1.6", Side 1.25"

Attachments

• pointer-airtests-penny.JPG
    pointer-airtests-penny.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,098
Side detection is only something you need if you dig ditches.. Coming from the HF and going with the TRX you won't miss Side Detection as you will no longer need to dig bathtub size holes to find things.

I had the HF and waited for the TRX to be released before buying anything.. it was one of the best purchases I have made.

With the TRX you do not need to put tape on the speaker hole, worry about dropping on concrete, worry about dropping it in the creek, worry about wearing out the case as it is user replaceable, worry about shimming the battery, worry about it falsing if you are in the habit of shoving it in the dirt.. not sure why people need to do this... Oh and then there is the arms length list of technical features and the 2 year warranty with nationwide repair facilities and the best customer service in the buisness

Yes the led is not bright so the the batteries last a long time.. and yes it is not as obnoxiously loud as other units but that is so you can use it in the water with the sealed opening.

Here are some photos of the guts, LED on the end of the board, Piezo driver at the bottom of the sound direction cylinder, inside of the case showing 1/8 sound hole behind the sealed diaphragm, below that the button seal and at the bottom the LED lens, battery adapters for 9v and AA

Attachments

• TRX.jpg
    TRX.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 776
  • Guts.jpg
    Guts.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 908
  • Sound_hole_button_back.jpg
    Sound_hole_button_back.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 881
  • Batter_holder.jpg
    Batter_holder.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 896
You get a pile of dirt outta the hole with the the target in there somewhere and i will do the final location of it in a third the time by using the overall side detection of the Garretts, compared to the TRX. That gap of no detection in the TRX is a lacking ability IMPO. You are forced to use that narrow flashlight beam in the loose dirt and that is a nusance in time. The Propointer lets you wave the entire wand over the dirt pile, and wallah! With the TRX I find that it's fastest to stand up and refind the new PP with the machine, and then it is fast.

martin...miss the side detection

Lemme be totally clear and say that I will always use the TRX and have the Garrett as backup. The depth it gives is such a saver for physical work when deep, plus it's ability to PPoint pre-dig down to 3-4 inches is absolutely wonderfull. If all I gotta do is stand up one extra time and PP with the V3i over a pile of dirt...I will. Besides, silvers catch the eye in loose dirt anyway ;-) m

Hey Martin, in that respect I can see the value. Guess it does come down to where you are hunting and how much dirt you are excavating.

TRX shoots down in the ground like a cone. I can say I mastered using one. It's not going in the ground like a thin laser beam that is for sure. You want to learn how to appreciate what a TRX does? Leave your detector at the house and just bring a TRX. Guy saw me using mine pinpointing a truck load of sinkers. He couldn't wait to get home to order one:lol:

I only have experience with the "Accu-find" (haha...I get the joke) and the TRX. Needless to say, I find the TRX to be amazing. It makes recovering targets sooo much easier. I think I'm going to start bringing it on beach hunts as well, just to speed things up a bit.

For depth the Whites TRX Pin Pointer is by far the king.

For price and value the Deteknix X-Pointer wins.

For the best all round pointer out my pick is the Garrett Pro Pointer.

Hope that helps some. Holler for questions.

Can't believe it but........... I disagree!:shock:
I used the GPP for a couple years and loved it. I got the trx a couple of months ago and wasn't to impressed and hated the detection field but stuck with it. Used a GPP the other day and felt like I was back in the cen-tech days. Had no idea that I would miss the trx as much as I did or that the GPP would feel so weak now. I love the TRX and won't be changing any time soon. With the sens settings I think it is the best all around PP.

I used the GPP for a couple years and loved it. I got the trx a couple of months ago and wasn't to impressed and hated the detection field but stuck with it. Used a GPP the other day and felt like I was back in the cen-tech days. Had no idea that I would miss the trx as much as I did or that the GPP would feel so weak now. I love the TRX and won't be changing any time soon. With the sens settings I think it is the best all around PP.

I'm the same way. When I bought my third propointer I couldn't get rid of it quick enough. I won't be buying a 4th one;)

Choices

It is nice to finally have some good choices in Pinpointers. We each find the one that is best for our hunting techniques and budget. I hope for a wireless pinpointer that will connect up with my main detector. Like a Sunray without the wires or weight.

Xpointer

In the past I would also have said the propointer rocked! Heck I have 2 and have had good luck... One is a backup or loaner.... No probs with mine. Never used the trx so can't comment... But.... This xpointer.... Wow! For me... Perfect! It's my goto out of the three I have..... Hands down so far. More useful features... Greater depth etc etc.... If it were the same price as my propointer... Have to say... I'd get it over the propointer... No doubt whatsoever.

They are all good I reckon.... But it beats out my Garretts.

So... I now have 2 propointers as backups and loaners. I'm pretty impressed with this xpointer. Lol.

Have fun folks. Happy hunting. Just my 2 cents worth. Lol

. Ron

The TRX Pointer is without a doubt the deepest.

Bart, I'm curious to know why you still find the Garrett PP the best all-around. Looks like the Xpointer has it beat in every category, and you've got my interest piqued!

Bart, I'm curious to know why you still find the Garrett PP the best all-around. Looks like the Xpointer has it beat in every category, and you've got my interest piqued!

Because the Pro pointer has many many hunts behind it on my belt. I have had one since they came out and trust its build quality and performance. If we get a year or two down the road and the others keep up I may change that opinion. ;)

Because the Pro pointer has many many hunts behind it on my belt. I have had one since they came out and trust its build quality and performance. If we get a year or two down the road and the others keep up I may change that opinion. ;)

Fair enough!

I'm very much considering being a test case, myself. Lost one of my Garrett ProPointers, and am toying with replacing (beach detector takes priority, right now, though)...

Fair enough!

I'm very much considering being a test case, myself. Lost one of my Garrett ProPointers, and am toying with replacing (beach detector takes priority, right now, though)...
No worries, TRX is waterproof and right at home at the beach, in the creek or in the dirt!.. and if you drop in the water, it floats! And after a year or 2 the TRX is still %100 covered under warranty should it not hold up. Sure that china copy is $40 less, but you want to support the people hack into our hospitals and steal our personal info??
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/26311062/hospital-data-breach
Be an American, buy American if it is available, and considering it is the better product, it is money well spent.

TRX is not waterproof. No guarantee for water damage without the declaration from Whites saying "waterproof." martin

TRX is not waterproof. No guarantee for water damage without the declaration from Whites saying "waterproof." martin

That is true, but it also true that it is waterproof to a certain depth, or maybe I just got lucky? All I know is I can submerge mine and since it does not leak, it floats.. Not sure, but I seriously doubt you can drop a Pro Pointer or Xpointer in the water and keep using it without interruption.. I am not talking about water hunting, I am talking about @&*! I dropped it or Sticking it in a hole full of water to find a target. There is a very large value to this aspect of the product. Never mind it isn't made in CHINA.

Well, I considered the X pointer but decided to go for the gusto and order a TRX. Bart at BigBoys hooked me up and got it here fast. Ordered thursday night, and it was in Monday's mail. Thanks Bart!

Haven't had time for serious hunts with it but some short testing sessions revealed the following...

It is quick on and quick off. I thought that might not be the case but a tap on gets you a confirmation beep followed by two quick beeps and it's ready to go, in one second at most. Hold it down to shut off and within half a second it starts a quick two-tone confirmation and it's off. I can totally live with that.

Solid construction. Loud enough and and vibey enough for me.

Air testing detection pattern is very much like the graphic in the first post in this thread. I got less to the sides than that orange line, but still plenty. Out of the box on default (level 3) sensitivity, I got just shy of 3" on a copper penny to the front and about 2 1/2" on the sides. Adding in the width of the shaft, and it's just shy of 3" from the centerline of the shaft. The front detection lobe has no detection behind the tip except for maybe the first 1/4". The detection area is very hemispherical in shape -- imagine a 6" nerf ball cut in half and stuck to the tip, and that's pretty close.

Tried "supertuning" by sliding a dime laid on the side of the handle, just forward of the button, and got another 3/4" to 1" out the front. No real increase on the sides. Not sure it needs it, but the option is there if you think you do.

Another thread explained how to change the starting sensitivity. That works. Also was able to swap main menus so the sensitivity is easier to access than beep/vibe/beep+vibe menu. Useful? Meh. Did not succeed in finding a menu option for audio frequency adjustment. Did succeed in getting the "master reset" menu option to work.

On level 4, I tried to locate coins in my fresh coin garden, penny through half, all at 4", and it did not sniff any of them. Actually I just tried the half and gave up. I need to run the test again, I was sure it'd see at least the half.

On level 4 it is pretty falsey, and even when I "ground balance" it, after a bit of time it seems to drift off and starts chirping again. I was turning it off and on between uses, maybe left on it reaches a happy place and settles down. No biggie, though, a quick tap of the button while holding it near the ground rebalances it and shuts it up for a while again. I need to test it more on levels 3, 2, or 1 and see if it misbehaves as much. Not a deal breaker if it does, but a minor annoyance. If it's gonna drift, better towards more sensitive than less sensitive, especially if you plan to leave it on.

Looking forward to more real world testing...

Does anyone know what TRX stands for? Totally Rules the X-pointer? lol

Back
Top Bottom