1800s Cemetery

1800s grave yard

From Paster Bob is needed on this one :shock:, as i always deemed them off limit's as the buried -REST IN PIECE, what would you say to a woman , saying something of -why are you digging around my husband's grave site ? , beside's even if you were to seek permission, some places are just OFF limit's for a reason, back to the woman, there is nothing you could say, you are disturbing her husband's grave site, in my :imo:, now have we all wondered what could be found Yes, but NO is the final answer .

Not likely to be any living relatives any where near in a 1800s grave yard, but any finds might be of importance to the local historic society. Most historic societies are on a tight budget and new contributions could be a big boot for them and local history. Searching the area for the right reason would be a great opportunity .

Dlh63366

Don't think you will get permission from them to detect a C , CMON :roll:, and i don't believe your story of turning the find's in to them, tell that one to the cop's, when they- put the hand cuff's on you :dingding::realitycheck::crazy::twisted: :yes::D:my2cents: Idea's like this will lead to NO METAL DETECTING sign's in all place's beside's private property, think about it , and it's not just ME , Best Regard's , :jail: :police:

Allow me to post an alternative thought concerning ransacking the resting places of the dead...Not all that have died are worthy of any kind of respect at all..Sure, Mother Teresa's tomb, Mr. Rogers, Michael Jackson, and Elvis are off limits, but all the rest?

Casual observation?: Based upon the Living I know, myself included, a guy can extrapolate that easily half the people that have ever died are some real B'tards not worthy of paying any kind of respect at all, not in Life, and certainly not in death?

Just saying, What is it about dying and being buried in an established boneyard all of a sudden makes a guy Holy?....On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everybody drops to zero...Good and Bad alike..

Just something to consider, History shows us its OK to ransack tombs...Howard Carter style...

I'd sure like to be the one to pop the coffin lid on Liberace's casket!...You know that damn guy was dirt napping heavy gold loaded!

Eureka! Happy Dance! I wish my Brother George was here!:laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
No way in hell would i do that. Extremely disrespectful. Why dont you try on one of your own loved ones that has passed.

Don't think you will get permission from them to detect a C , CMON :roll:, and i don't believe your story of turning the find's in to them, tell that one to the cop's, when they- put the hand cuff's on you :dingding::realitycheck::crazy::twisted: :yes::D:my2cents: Idea's like this will lead to NO METAL DETECTING sign's in all place's beside's private property, think about it , and it's not just ME , Best Regard's , :jail: :police:
Earl, he already has permission to hunt the C, he came to us looking for our opinions on whether or not he should go ahead with it. I agree though, there's so many hunting grounds in some towns, you could even do the land around the cemetery and find stuff im sure of it. I would stay out of the actually cemetery though. I've donated quite a few relics to local historical societies myself, and there's ZERO need to dig up a graveyard to find local relics...

Crw

Permission, Wright from wrong, I am sure if the new's media would see that, he would make the 6:00 new's, than the entire country would have a different out look on Metal Detecting, my opinion here, ITS NO GOOD, even if he got permission. Forbidden Zone. Rest in Piece. :worms::yoda::twisted::snapoutofit::imo::my2cents: PS The real reason is , he asked here for a reason, if he already has permission , and deep down inside he know's something is wrong with it, that's why this thread was created .:roll: Enjoy hunting Other Place's , Earl

Permission, Wright from wrong, I am sure if the new's media would see that, he would make the 6:00 new's, than the entire country would have a different out look on Metal Detecting, my opinion here, ITS NO GOOD, even if he got permission. Forbidden Zone. Rest in Piece. :worms::yoda::twisted::snapoutofit::imo::my2cents: PS The real reason is , he asked here for a reason, if he already has permission , and deep down inside he know's something is wrong with it, that's why this thread was created .:roll: Enjoy hunting Other Place's , Earl

Who cares what the Country thinks about us?? Some old b'tard hunting a graveyard with a metal detector making the 6 oclock local news? Page 3 tops! And thats if He's hunting bare ast naked, singing the Star Bangle Banner at the top of his lungs, waving a machete around, and maybe has a cute little rescue dog assistant?!... (Ask me how I know)

There aint nothing to be found of any value dinking around in a boneyard anyhow...unless you are an undertaker of course..those damn guys make the real money!.....

Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago, I went to the local library to do some research on my town in hopes of finding good places to metal detect. While there, I befriended an older lady that was there doing research as well. She is a member of the county historical commission and is also on the museum board of directors.

She told me she would try and get me permission to detect on a few places in the town. Just got a phone call from her and she said that I have permission to metal detect an old cemetery here in town from the 1800s where many confederate veterans are buried.

She got the approval of the City Manager, the Director of the Parks and Rec Dept. and the County Historical Commission.

Everything found would be presented to the County Historic Commission

Normally I would not seek out a cemetery to detect and I really didn't try to seek this one out, it just sort of came to me.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever detected a cemetery? And if so, do you have any tips or advice?

OP, I think by now you're gleaned from the replies, the majority feel as Cemeteries are off-limits, period (myself included).

That being said, there was usually a Church (sometimes doubled as a School) within a stones throw of a Cemetery. Search that out, and hunt outside the perimeter of the Cemetery.

Back
Top Bottom