• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab Equinox 600 Vs DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater detector

nmarsh

Which would be better for lake,beach and Ocean water and beach hunting? I'd also be hunting old trails and foundations. Which one would give more depth and target separation from iron and junk? Let me know tonight if possible as I could get a great deal on a DetectorPro underwarter machine tomorrow. Thanks Norm Marsh

Isn't the DP machine a PI? (Pulse Induction) PI machines have NO discrimination although some manufacturers say they do. The amount of discrimination in PIs is minimal. They will have you digging bobby pins and bottle caps like crazy. PIs are also VERY deep and are not affected by black sand or saltwater and many use them for beach detecting, but if you want discrimination capabilities the Nox is the better machine.

The detector pro machines are all single frequency machines that will work well in fresh water, but don't work at salt water beaches, or in heavy minerals. The nox is a multifrequency detector, so it works well in salt water and in heavy minerals. Also, look at how many people are using the equiox on this forum, so if you have questions on It's use, there will be a lot of people that can help you. Almost nobody is posting detector pro questions or finds.

Get the Equinox!
The new detector pro underwater is vlf.
The old discontinued one with monocoil is pulse induction. You would have to dig everything. Pulse is deeper but a pain to dig iron.

The detector pro machines are all single frequency machines that will work well in fresh water, but don't work at salt water beaches, or in heavy minerals.

INCORRECT.
DP made a variety of models. The DP-Pulse is a pulse induction model that works exceptionally well in salt water. The UW, UW-12, Diver, and Wader are all single-frequency VLF machines based on the Fisher 1280. They are analog and interestingly enough, they can be "tuned" like the Fisher CZ5, 6, and 3d. :D

H/H -David

Which would be better for lake,beach and Ocean water and beach hunting? I'd also be hunting old trails and foundations. Which one would give more depth and target separation from iron and junk? Let me know tonight if possible as I could get a great deal on a DetectorPro underwarter machine tomorrow. Thanks Norm Marsh

I've owned the DP Diver, Wader, and UW and Pulse. They are great freshwater machines, but in salt water, only the PULSE will work without false signals and chatter. This is because all DP machines, with the exception of the Pulse, are single-frequency VLF. Additionally, they are one tone machines. You get a beep, but that's it. There are no tonal differences in targets. Bleh.

DP has great ergonomics but the tech is old. Its based on Fisher's 1280 analog machines that were designed about 25-30 years ago.

DaviD
I didn't mention the detector pro pi machines because they haven't been made in several years, and if something goes bad on a used one, especially the coil, I don't think they have replacement parts.

DaviD
I didn't mention the detector pro pi machines because they haven't been made in several years, and if something goes bad on a used one, especially the coil, I don't think they have replacement parts.

Yeah, I hear you. I had one restored. The guy that made the coils passed away. Consequently, when DP was bought out by Ron, they elected to pull the plug on the pulse and sold all of the remaining machines / coils. I have a guy that can swap coil wires but if the coil is damaged, its a pickle to get the detector up and going again. Nonetheless, the machine is / was exceptional. Light weight, adjustable pulse delay, and deep.

Yeah, I hear you. I had one restored. The guy that made the coils passed away. Consequently, when DP was bought out by Ron, they elected to pull the plug on the pulse and sold all of the remaining machines / coils. I have a guy that can swap coil wires but if the coil is damaged, its a pickle to get the detector up and going again. Nonetheless, the machine is / was exceptional. Light weight, adjustable pulse delay, and deep.

Well..that pretty much settles it huh Poindexter? You answered your own dispute! Why didja bust the guys balls with a megafont on a technicality that has no modern application?? :laughing: I know, its fun, and historically accurate, but still! Its like you are talking smoothbore flintlocks when we are clearly discussing Douglas Barrel percussions!....:laughing:

Well..that pretty much settles it huh Poindexter? You answered your own dispute! Why didja bust the guys balls with a megafont on a technicality that has no modern application?? :laughing: I know, its fun, and historically accurate, but still! Its like you are talking smoothbore flintlocks when we are clearly discussing Douglas Barrel percussions!....:laughing:

Inform. Educate. Bring awareness. Create drama. Add memes. It's all in a days work.

Seriously though, there is a cult-like following for the DP-Pulse. Some claim it performs as well as a White's TDI, but 1/10th the size and waterproof. So when they appear on the classifieds, and they do, all of a sudden folks are in a bidding frenzy and/or asking questions. Whats the difference between the models. Did, in fact, DP ever made a PI? What is an adjustable pulse delay? Can it still be serviced? etc, etc, etc.

Congratulations-on-your-ability-to-create-drama-out-of-absolutely-nothing-meme-19891.jpg
0-days-drama-free.jpg
57136816.jpg

I had a HH PI. A real nice unit. I loved the 8 inch coil. I had the 11 inch too. Really deep, but pinpointing with it was a nightmare. The thing sucked up the batteries. If I knew they were going to discontinue it I would have held on to it. But then again if I knew how pretty the neighbor girl was going to turn out when we were 10 I would have told her I loved her back in 72.

Back
Top Bottom