Create your own cache--What would you do?

That's so cool! I'm going to have to wait until I have something valuable (or at least interesting!), but that would be a really neat thing to do.

That is COOL!!!

I did about 10 years ago. After having so much fun finding stuff I decided I'd give some back. I took some of my best finds from over the years and buried it. The box contains more than $2,000 just in old coins. Quite a few local people know about it and have been looking for it. I put two clues to the treasure in two books in our public library.

Now that is really cool. I've got to do something like that. Hi all, new memeber here. Been MDing off and on for years and still have most of my finds, although nothing of real value. Some silver coins and wheaties, minor jewlery a few bullets, toys and "junk" items , but mostly clads and pennys. Anyway, I'm really enjoying your forum.

New Sport (hobby)

Ever think about starting a section in the forum for GeoDetecting. Bury (hide) a cache, post the coordinates, let people find it with a combination of a GPS and Metal Detector, sign a log ect. or is that being done already.

I would put a cache in an old metal ammo box (bought at Army/Navy stores) that was sprayed with several coats of Rust Oleum (to prevent it from rusting very quickly). Dig a hole and put it in. I would engrave the top of it with my name and the date it was buried. I would put in the following: clad coin of every denomination, current map of the town, Newspaper of the day, Map of the property that it was on, List of the governmental leaders of the day, and some other odds & ends. Hope it helps.

we made more of a time capsule but when my daughter turned 5 and was ready for school we put some of her baby things in a large 1 gal mason jar,we put her baby ring, one of her first shoes one of them mint proof sets from the year she was born had a $1 coin down to a penny in it and i took a photo of when she was born and laminated it and put that in there along with some things that belonged to my wife and I. we buried it on my parents property since that property wont ever leave the family. but after reading this post a may just bury a cache in a park somewhere and put all my junk rings and several old coins in it,probably use a piece of PVC with end caps.

But back to the question of "where to bury the cache?"
I think the only really safe place (if such a place exists) would be at the base of a statue or some type of commerative tree. Something that the locals hold in high regard and wouldn't think of moving or REmoving.
Of course this would mean you would have to skulk around in the dark of nite doing some sneaky activity but heck....that is why taverns are open 'till two in the morning...

I did create a cache about 15 years ago and buried it my backyard where I am currently living. We had just moved here and my daughter and son wanted to MD in the, they loved digging for when they were younger. Made a wooden box filled it with coins couple of five dollar bills and a handful of ones. Buried that thing in the yard and made a map, spilled coffe on some paper and burned the edges to make it look old and put it in the rafters in the basement. One day while working in the basement with my 2 little helpers we discovered the map and the search began. Haven't seen a smile so big since they dug up that treasure.

I did about 10 years ago. After having so much fun finding stuff I decided I'd give some back. I took some of my best finds from over the years and buried it. The box contains more than $2,000 just in old coins. Quite a few local people know about it and have been looking for it. I put two clues to the treasure in two books in our public library.

What a great idea! To expand upon that,it would be a really neet "right of passage" for us detectors, when we get so old that it's getting hard to get out there to, as a last dig, to hide a cache of coins and things that he/she dug up over the years. What a way of guaranteeing the future interest in our fine hobby. Steve

A plastic container (pill bottle) put the state quarter of the state you live and new nickels in it with a note telling the finder thanks for continuing our hobby. :yes: Cladius.

Do that, but also make a treasure map saying that there is more to be found! Yah just gotta find it.

Cool idea

It sounds like a cool idea. I like the 'state quarter' thing. I know I collect/save some of the current "funny money" (state quarters, new nickels, president dollars, saqagwean (never could spell that name) dollars. As far as places to hide a time capsule that might be found someday, I might suggest a "Post Hole Bank". This term was used in suggesting unusual places to hunt. In the past as many people know, some used to hide their money caches at the base of post holes that were in or along fence rows. Alot of these post hole banks weren't even attached to the fencing. Another suggestion was at the base of big old trees. Remember the scene in the movie Shaw Shank Redemption?. (sp?) "there's an old oak tree that stands out in the middle of the field..along the field there's a stone fence, directly south(direction I forgot) at the base of the stone fence there's a rock that has no earthly reason to be there..Under that stone...." Get the idea?
Ideas around your house?? Garden?? How about under a piece of garden art or bird bath? Inside one of the walls of your house.. Imagine a remodeling project years from now??? And not to mention, pipe safes. Old days they would have been iron, I suppose.. which leads me to one question regarding the earlier suggestions...
Would a metal detector, detect a small cache/time capsule through PVC pipe?

Dusty Eagle

When I was little, I buried a baggie with a few Kennedy halves, some Wheaties, and a few mercs in my yard. I cannot remember exactly where I buried it. I have not been able to find it yet! ;-)

What were the clues? I'd like to find that!:lol::lol::lol:

I dont know if this is the same but when I was rehabbing and building homes I always stuck all my pocket change and dollar bills in hidden spots for someone in the future to find.I did this because I thought it would be good luck.Well just a thought to add to this.Not a real cache.

Kansas. The 2 books are A Century in Kansas(Adams-Kimbrel Family) and Memories of West Hopewell(History of a Community). Both are books written about my families history in Kansas. They settled just south of Dodge City in 1885 and helped build the Hopewell Township.

The coppies in the library are not the only ones with the clues *wink*

Back
Top Bottom