• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

CZ 21 Vs Excal 1000 air test

CanSlaw

Elite Member
I found out it's harder to do a good air test video than finding a gold ring, but here goes.

I made four different videos before posting one, user error on the camera. On each air test one detector would be 1/2 inch higher than the other, then the other one, on the next test. Overall both detectors in a simple air test had the same depth on three different targets, +or- a 1/2 inch.

A couple of likes on the CZ 21 was a little crisper sounds and the boost feature for deep targets. Those of us that our hearing is not what it use to be, that is a nice feature.

The camera angle may show a different depth than what I could see trying to look at eye level of the camera. In this case the camera doesn't lie, it's right on.
CZ 21 Excalibur 1000
5.4 gram mans 8 in 8.5 in
2.3 gram ladies ring 5.5 in 6. in
clad dime 7 in 7 in

I did the best I could with the test of the two machines. I do not have any brand loyalty and hunt with what ever works for my type of hunting. From the test I did today, the CZ 21 is a keeper and right up there with the Excal. $400. less in price and a 2 year warranty make the CZ 21 an attractive machine in my opinion.

I hope this helped answer some of the question, it did for me. Video is 5:21 minutes
http://youtu.be/kc0Ac8hUwTk

In Addition:
I did compare one of my old CZ 20 knobs against the 21 and the knobs are about 1/2 as heavy as the older knobs. This machine is used and the set screws are NOT brass or SS and these have rusted bad. I may return this machine for that reason. If you have a new CZ 21 I would cover the set screw of the knobs with silicone to prevent rusting. An alan wrench will no longer work in the set screw I have and they would have to be drilled out.

Nice informative video Chuck.

But you're killing me with the palm tress
in the back ground!:laughing:
Its in the 20's here!

You'll be all set once that Starv scoop arrives.

Very interesting video. It dawned on me while watching it that I've never air tested my detectors, will have to give it a try sometime when tide is too high.

Nice vid CS.Any chance you can test a dime at the beach?I know we get better depth than most in Florida.For some reason my excal loves dimes.When conditions are right i can pick a dime up at 12".Air test i can't.Just wonder how deep the two are at your location.Do you notice digging deep dimes or is it just me? Also you can find one of those small screw removal adapters if need be on the allen heads.When you reverse a drill the bit has a backwards set of grabbers that grip the metal.Sadly even the bike end bars made of aluminum come with steel allen bolts.

Thanks CS, looks like you had fun, sure takes alot of setup, planning for those video's...Now the real test is how she does in the field...Thanks for sharing....joe

Nice comparison, well done!
A note though: when you negotiate to buy an excall ii you can almost always get them to throw in an extra two years extended warranty for free, one of the sponsors here did it for me... Always bargain on these big purchases...

Nice vid CS.Any chance you can test a dime at the beach?I know we get better depth than most in Florida.For some reason my excal loves dimes.When conditions are right i can pick a dime up at 12".Air test i can't.Just wonder how deep the two are at your location.Do you notice digging deep dimes or is it just me? Also you can find one of those small screw removal adapters if need be on the allen heads.When you reverse a drill the bit has a backwards set of grabbers that grip the metal.Sadly even the bike end bars made of aluminum come with steel allen bolts.

I know a dime at the beach, in wet conditions, will be much deeper. I was doing this test holding the detectors straight out trying to see the ruler while swinging the detectors (NOT easy to do) When I stood up and swung normally I had 10 inches plus in depth. All I tried to do was an even/steven air test.

As for the set screws, yes I could try to drill them out, etc, but if the screws are rusted onto the shaft, which is what I am afraid of, then any repair work would require replacing the switch pods which would be a major overhaul...and that I am not willing to take a chance on for a detector that was not taken care of properly. I tried JB Blaster on the screw, but when I put the allen wrench in the screw, they crumbled. I might call Fisher tomorrow and see what they say.

I don't mind drilling the screws out of a $3.00 bike handle, it's a throw away, and I siliconed mine when I installed them, but a $800. detector, I don't know......

Good air tests .... mine tests a little higher on all three with my settings. But the point was they both test about the same. The foot print of the coils may make a difference when they hit the sand since these machines may do better there.

Soooo do you like it enough to buy NEW or you going to try and have the knobs repaired? I dont know the machine.... but couldnt you remove the set screws if you have a newer one and just replace them with SS? bummer if it has to go back. Sounds like you are talking about drilling a small hole and using an extractor on those screws.

Dew

Thanks Joe and Joe. You are right, that was a lot of setup trying to get it right....I would rather go hunting. :lol: The water test will see how accurate the air test was, however with the set screw problem, it may not be with this detector.

However, I did answer the questions I had as to depth and sensitivity and I do see a CZ 21 in my future, just maybe not this one.

Hey Dew,

The "current" owner and I are emailing now to see if the rusted out screws might be covered under warranty. Good time to find out how good Fishers warranty is.

After the test, I will be owning a CZ, it was that impressive. Very sharp clear signals, I like the signal boost, it hunts in all metal like the the Excal with a broader signal on the coil and the depth was respectful. I do have some EMI in my yard, but both detectors were adjusted for it, and both had the same depth.

nice comparison and will be waiting to see how you do with it,,,,the two things that I do not find attractive on this machine is needing to hip mount and the use of 4 9 volts, yes, you can use rechargables but just not the same as the excal battery,,,I think any machine is going to have drawbacks and we all know the excal does too

Nice video and test Chuck... can I give you a little advice? you need to sharpen your lawnmower blades as the blades are leaving a ragged cut :laughing:

nice comparison and will be waiting to see how you do with it,,,,the two things that I do not find attractive on this machine is needing to hip mount and the use of 4 9 volts, yes, you can use rechargables but just not the same as the excal battery,,,I think any machine is going to have drawbacks and we all know the excal does too

I hear what you are saying, but I am ready to order my fourth battery pack (not holding a charge) for my Excal at $40 a piece and just received my third wall charger at $30. replacement cost.

My Excal is chest mounted which is comfortable for the way I hunt. Again, nice that we all have choices on how we use our equipment.

Feedback for all detectors is how we learn about them. I still don't own the best detector.

We honestly dont have a lot of choices and each seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. Thus goes the saying no such thing as a machine that does it all WELL. You have to have a couple of machines to fit your hunting style.

Dew

Ive had days where all I seem to pull is dimes:?:and some are real deep. I was just talking to cdv about how many dimes I find on our last hunt. So I guess its not just you...GL+HH.....cliffy.

Back
Top Bottom