Search coil question.

NickL

I have a new Gold Bug with a 5" coil. I can pick up a quarter (on top of the ground) at just over 6". If I get a 10"X13" DD or a 15" coil how much will they improve my depth?

I'd be happy with any information even based on other detectors improvements using different coils!!

Thanks!!
NickL

With a 13 or 15 inch coil you should see dramatic improvement over a 5 inch. But, the 5 inch is a sniper coil and gives much better separation than a larger coil, just can't get as deep in your specific examples. I'd expect you could hit quarters at 10 inch to a foot with a 15 inch coil. Also keep in mind that even though the 5 inch will "air test" 6 inches on a quarter, soil is much denser and can have minerals and masking effects that can affect depth.

Thanks for the information.

I am VERY new to this! I can either buy a Minelab Quattro MP for $300 or buy an additional coil for the Gold Bug at around $200.

I'm still not sure what to do!
NickL - Nebraska

I am VERY new to this! I can either buy a Minelab Quattro MP for $300 or buy an additional coil for the Gold Bug at around $200.

I'm still not sure what to do!
NickL - Nebraska

I think if you repost this in the "All about detectors" section here: https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

you will get much more better advice from many members weighing in that probably have experiences with detectors you are looking at. Your question is kinda buried in this section, which is mostly about researching places to detect and not really research on detecting equipment. I'd be open to even more options with $300 to spend, there are plenty out there within that market. From getting a couple coils to a whole new detector depending on what you want. Don't be scared to check out the classified section here either, especially now right after the holidays many people are looking to dump slightly used equipment really cheap because they upgraded, are quitting because frustration or time constraints (it's not all gold rings and treasure out there :laughing:) or received something they didn't exactly want as a gift and you could score a GREAT deal...

Sponsors here can also give you lower prices on detectors/coils better than ANYTHING you'll see advertised and they ship super fast, because well...their reputation HERE depends on it. Plus they are great guys who are personally interested in detecting themselves, and can help you cut the learning curve by actually knowing all about the equipment (not like buying from Walmart where some 17 year old kid would rather be playing video games than trying to answer your questions about equipment he has no idea about).

Also check Ebay and Craigslist because deals can be had there at this time as well. For $300 you could even get into intermediate equipment, just make sure to spend the time to learn all you can about what your detector is trying to tell you. It takes time to truly learn every detector and reveal each's secrets, and it's worth it.

Going to ask where you suggested.. Thanks.

Thanks for your information! I'll go to the section you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom