Erie county parks, NY

ArcheoRailrdr

Greetings all, I'm new to the site and hobby. Does anybody know the rules/regulations on detecting at Erie county, NY parks like Chestnut Ridge. And while your here, city of Buffalo, property like Bennett Beach in Angola. Or who to contact to get permish to either places.

I am also new just ordered my md last night .went out yesterday w a local and looks to me so are you .i md my first park in my area parks guys were interested that's about it I just go and if someone has posted signs I'll stay away read around I'm sure ull find some different answers but pm me if ya wana get together and do some digs.

permit link

First time i hear someone say you need a permit i thought it was a joke. but it wasnt till i read this that i really got a good laugh! Laws are bourne from a need for change to correct a problem. Has there ever been a known widespread problem in parks that brought on a need for a permit? this just does not make sense to me because I dont damage the turf or leave large holes. This is is in my opinion another useless law invented for the sole purpose of revenue.
http://www.nysparks.com/inside-our-agency/documents/Permits/MetalDetectorApplicationAndPermit.pdf

This is where our tax dollars go: to pay someone to create a document and that person probably never researched the subject and knows nothing of the hobby. But does know to make the county/state a bit of extra income.
When i pay an entrance fee to a park, I should not have to pay an additional fee for enjoying the park like everyone else. And they expect you to find the owner or to give anything worth over ten dollars to park police? LOL funny

They will not get my ten dollars for a permit! Besides the parks around here have been picked over well. private land is the way to go!

Does anyone know if there is an office to go to for that permit ?

So this means ALL parks in Erie County ?

NYS is the absolute worste !!!!! I had to get a permit to clean the beaches at NYS parks of trash( pop tops, etc. ) Here in eastern NY I go to most parks very early in the mornings and only on weekends to aviod any contact with city, park workers and also people in general....I have had great success all summer and have had no problems...If they dont see you they cant ask you to leave right ???....good luck and HH

Many people use the "easier to get forgiveness than permission" philosophy. It works most of the time. Just be aware that you are representing many of us so please be careful when you dig. Remember parks may have shallow electrical wires near pavilions and water lines near fountains. Just sayin... In the meantimne HH and GL

did you ever get to the bottom of this?

cafare52, the person's posts , that you are referring to, are years old.

Have you thought about just going to the individual park's dept's, in question, websites ? Or wherever they list their "rules" and/or muni "laws". Typically these days, every public municipality and park's dept. invariably list their rules on their website, for example.

Eg.: Dogs on leash. No fireworks. Permit required for group area reservations. Park closes at sunset, etc... etc.... If you see nothing there that says "No md'ing", then .... presto, not prohibited. Or if you see all the "permits" that a city offers (in their revenue dept. listings or permit dept's), and see none that are for "md'ing", then presto, there's not a permit for md'ing. Right ?

Don't over think it. Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. And DON'T go in swatting hornet's nests asking "can I?". Lest you become the latest victim of : "No one cared until you asked" routine.

Tom. I really appreciate the sage advice. I grew up in the village and have a few spots in mind for sure.

I'm totally new to this and trying to get as much info as possible, even replying to decade old posts. Haha.

I'll be checking all the websites.

And then I'll try and get in right at sun up.

Thanks again.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

For the fastest answer to your question, just contact someone direct in the local Buffalo club, they can update you on any permits that are required. Things change over the years. There may not be a single blanket permit to hunt. You may need to get one from individual parks depending upon if its a County Park or State Park. I lived and hunted the Buffalo area from 1969-2005.

Back
Top Bottom