What are the best beach metal detectors?

Goldenexpress

Ok! I am a dirt digger! Not a sand scooper! So I am illiterate when it comes to anything related to beach detectors. I am just asking though, because I am tempted to give it a shot. What are the best beach detectors on the market?

HH Michael!

Well... you've opened a can of worms here...

It really depends on the beach. Where I am in Va Beach, the Excal II reigns supreme over my AT Pro. I have both, swing both at the beach, but the Excal wins hands down. I asked the people digging here and the only other response I got was the Sov GT or Explorer SE (they made them "waterproof" for a spin in the surf). For me at these beaches, I'd suggest the AT Pro on the low end and the Excal II on the high end.

So what's the right answer... based on my research the right answer is based on where you're going to be hunting. It'd be better to ask someone in a local club what they're swinging and what other members are swinging to ensure you get the right type (if not the same unit) for the area.

Good luck and HH!

Michael where will you be hunting?
salt or fresh?

I'm still sort of new to this game,so I will let the more
seasoned hunters give you advise.

I do a lot of beach combing and I'm very fond of the Sov. GT

Well I am in the midwest, but want to spend some time in the summer months hunting out east. It will probably be salt.

Great Question!

Ok! I am a dirt digger! Not a sand scooper! So I am illiterate when it comes to anything related to beach detectors. I am just asking though, because I am tempted to give it a shot. What are the best beach detectors on the market?

HH Michael!

On the wet sand and in the water

Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Dual Field
Minelab Excalibur II

Then there is the rest.. ;)

Them CARDINALS played a fine game.

My boy Roger retired from that organization,so I like em! :yes:

What brand of land machine do you use and are you partial to them?

My personal favorites are the Sovereigns and the Excalibur for water hunting. They are expensive for what you get and will require modification to be able to hunt comfortably. However you will get as many opinions here as there are models of cars.

When you say "hunting out east" that is a big area so I would be looking at very versatile machines, like the Excalibur and not one of the PI units. If you happen to vacation at a very trashy beach, A PI can ruin that vacation for water hunting in a hurry.

What brand of land machine do you use and are you partial to them?

My personal favorites are the Sovereigns and the Excalibur for water hunting. They are expensive for what you get and will require modification to be able to hunt comfortably. However you will get as many opinions here as there are models of cars.

When you say "hunting out east" that is a big area so I would be looking at very versatile machines, like the Excalibur and not one of the PI units. If you happen to vacation at a very trashy beach, A PI can ruin that vacation for water hunting in a hurry.
I use a Whites. Been my only machine. I am leaning toward buying a minelab though. I am not partial. Just so I have a machine I can get to know, understand, and that will kick some:cuss:!

I love my Excal II... I have the 10" coil version. The only drawback is the weight...

CanSlaw is right... you do need to do some mods to make it more comfortable to use and get a good sand scoop! I made a hip mount and am working on a straight shaft for it... the detector is so expensive I just can't see spending the $$$ to get something that I can make myself and customize in the process.

Good luck with your decision, but however you decide the Minelab is a good machine but not the only ones out there...

My first machine was a Microtona, then Garrett, then Minelab, then Fisher... I want what works. I'm not brand loyal, I just wanna dig!:yes:

in addition to all the above, I'd say the CZ20/21 is a good candidate. comfortable out of the box with an adjustable straight shaft as a factory default and a rock solid housing make it a good alternative to the Excal II.

in addition to all the above, I'd say the CZ20/21 is a good candidate. comfortable out of the box with an adjustable straight shaft as a factory default and a rock solid housing make it a good alternative to the Excal II.

Excellent machines without a doubt, however a 20/21 are more comfortable chest or hip mounted to be able to hunt any length of time in the water. The machines are bullet proof, but they are also very heavy to hunt with mounted to the factory shaft. Just my opinion and I sure liked my old CZ 20.

Sov. Gt.

I am no water hunter but I got the Sovereign Gt to add to my collection so I would have a awesome wet/dry sand machine. Every review and video I have seen says it is awesome at the beach and DEEP. I also got it for deep coins, relics and gold.:yes:

I've only been detecting a little over a month and now have a sov gt and an excal ll.... The sov on the beach is great.... I know from the sound what I am digging at about 80% correct guess rate..... I dig no iron, but recover targets w/ iron in the hole alot....

I just got the excal a week ago w/ the long straight shaft and its very well balanced for the water....

I had a sand shark, and I think its probably one of the deepest machines for water, was not nearly as comfortable to swing in the water...Not to mention I really didnt know what I was digging....

DSC06246.jpg

Back
Top Bottom