My first BUFFALO and play money coin

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Got out Sunday morning for a couple of park hunts in the town across from me. jl1252 had mentioned a tear out and found some silvers and buffs there so figured I’d try my hand (thank you Jeff!). I got there and the area was fully fenced in :( but... there was one spot where I could lay down and shimmy under the fence :lol:

It was slow going not finding much - then at one end I found my first ever Buffalo nickel :thumbsup: it’s incredibly toasted but I could make out it was a buff so I was stoked! Still am :D.

Also found my first play money coin: 10 PLAY DOUGH coin, and two wheats - one so toasted gone I could barely tell it was a wheat cent. I gave it a hot hydrogen peroxide bath in an attempt to get a date but it just got worse.

Found a horse shoe, a set gopher trap(!), couple bullets and 22 short shells, a junk ring, button, maybe a lead seal(?) and some old pocket knife pieces.

Was a fun morning, was good to finally get out again!

Attachments

• FB5C35C8-0061-4449-B400-50DC8727CA63.jpg
    FB5C35C8-0061-4449-B400-50DC8727CA63.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 75C7AD00-D8D9-4E1D-AEE9-2412E9171A02.jpg
    75C7AD00-D8D9-4E1D-AEE9-2412E9171A02.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 216
  • 75450603-6B4B-45F1-A48A-140DC01BED61.jpg
    75450603-6B4B-45F1-A48A-140DC01BED61.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 5DB6B161-2F19-43BC-81D3-8A87B0590900.jpg
    5DB6B161-2F19-43BC-81D3-8A87B0590900.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 193
IT"S A TRAP!!!

That could have hurt. Did it release when you dug it? I would not have known it was a trap and would have been trying to figure out what it was or worse put it in my pocket.

Buffalo looks good to me, nice job. I really like the play dough money too, did it ring up like a penny?

I'm wondering if the gooher trap was intentionally left for us? If it was that's pretty nasty. I've made nice with the grounds staff and they have given me their blessing as they know I dig small clean plugs but last time I was there, the groundskeeper was telling me about finding huge holes left open and the turf all torn up...

IT"S A TRAP!!!

That could have hurt. Did it release when you dug it? I would not have known it was a trap and would have been trying to figure out what it was or worse put it in my pocket.

Trap was cracked with dirt and I kinda figured it was a trap and just put it in my finds pouch, at home I rinsed off all my finds and only when setting them out on a paper towel did I realize it was set; and I triggered it without really knowing what I was doing but kwpnky fingers/hand away. Super glad it didn’t trigger on my hand, that would have left some marks!

That's awesome! Congrats on your first buff.

Thanks Jam! Wasn’t really expecting it but feels good to finally get a buff!

Very nice GS, congrats! And that Buffalo is a beauty..... ;)

Thanks V!

Buffalo looks good to me, nice job. I really like the play dough money too, did it ring up like a penny?

I'm wondering if the gooher trap was intentionally left for us? If it was that's pretty nasty. I've made nice with the grounds staff and they have given me their blessing as they know I dig small clean plugs but last time I was there, the groundskeeper was telling me about finding huge holes left open and the turf all torn up...

Thanks Jeff!

The buffalos you posted looked nice and clean, how’d you clean those up?

The play dough sounded pretty solid /good. I use a Compadre which is tone only. It was a clear signal.

I don’t think that trap was set for us. Only one in that area, and it was buried and caked with dirt, and that would be pretty nasty if it was!

I’ve only hunted there one other time awhile back, yesterday I didn’t notice anything around there aside from the city work being done. There were a few corroded zinc cents atop that dirt area, like someone had dropped them, entirely possible they just got turned up I guess. I do plan on detecting that park during my kid’s swim practices at least once a week. I was going to hunt the tot-lot there but they are redoing that too. Was locked and hard pack was down.

I just took a little bit of barkeeper's friend and made a paste with it and rubbed the buff between my thumb and forefinger...took the red coating right off.

Awesome Buffalo. I have to admit that some of my best finds involved shimmying under a fence or two. Nice work!

Congrats on the Buff and the other assortment of finds!

Thanks Jak!

I just took a little bit of barkeeper's friend and made a paste with it and rubbed the buff between my thumb and forefinger...took the red coating right off.

I’ll have to pick some up and try it, thanks Jeff.

Awesome Buffalo. I have to admit that some of my best finds involved shimmying under a fence or two. Nice work!

Thanks man, that’s too funny on the fences :thumbsup:

Congrats on your first buff!! The "play dough" is actually quite cool too. Nice hunt, and good rewards for doing a successful limbo dance! :lol:

Congrats on your first buff!! The "play dough" is actually quite cool too. Nice hunt, and good rewards for doing a successful limbo dance! :lol:

Thanks man! I agree the play coin was just as exciting as the buffalo - both firsts for me! Look forward to trying the rest of the park there trying for some iffy signals to see what I can get!

Back
Top Bottom