Lunchtime Hunt yields Big silver

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
While I am thrilled to find a large silver coin, it is very frustrating not knowing what it is, probably a capped bust quarter:D:D

It is about the thickness of a dime as it is very worn.
It measures approximately 27mm in diameter.
I think I see a bust facing right, but it is so difficult to tell.

So far only spit and tinfoil for cleaning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 6-6-18 Big Silver.jpg
    6-6-18 Big Silver.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 453
  • 6-6-18 Big silver 3.jpg
    6-6-18 Big silver 3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 397
Wow, looks really old. Toasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heartbreaker to not be able to make it out, seems to be how it always goes for me :laughing: Still.. a very cool and exciting to find!

HH

Matt, do you have silver testing acid? Cover the front completely with acid and let it sit for about a minute, rinse and repeat. I've seen completely slick silvers come to life using this method. You may be able to get an ID off it. Congrats!

Matt, do you have silver testing acid? Cover the front completely with acid and let it sit for about a minute, rinse and repeat. I've seen completely slick silvers come to life using this method. You may be able to get an ID off it. Congrats!
I guess I will have to get some
Looks more like a Barber then a capped!
I belive it is larger than a Barber quarter, I will bring it to the next meeting and you can check it out:D

Last edited:
I guess I will ahve to get some

I belive it is larger than a Barber quarter, I will bring it to the next meeting and you can check it out:D

Barber Quarters are 24.3mm. At 27mm, it is too big for that. Bust quarters (before they reduced the size) were 27mm. It is also too small to be a half (30.7mm)

Cool non the less.....can't wait to see if you get any detail off that baby......
I've counted way way worse looking coins than that in my silver count........

Clad state Quarter :p

Electrolysis is your answer.

It's up to you, but if I dug that coin I'd also use electrolysis on it.

You can easily build an electrolysis bath for free with a few items you probably have laying around your garage or basement.
Simple building instructions can be found on the net.

I've found it to be a safe and non abrasive was to clean heavy crud off silver and other types of metals.
But be careful not to leave the coin in the bath any longer than is needed.

Good Luck !

So, I'd start with a 8" 1.5 HP 220V electric grinder, with a 24 grit sanding disc.........JK, good luck show us when you figure it out!

Anything weird about the soil conditions where you found it? Nearly looks like a salt water find.

Back
Top Bottom