Dismantling Garrett Pro Pointer?

Seaking406

Elite Member
Greetings, my replacement Carrot had failed in the same manner as the original one. Both previous unit failed in the same manner after only 8 or so hours of usage. Both ended up stuck in one mode, not being able to switch modes at all, or turn it off without pulling the battery out. (neither unit were dropped, banged, pried with, hammered or abused in any way...)

But the one thing very similar is a rattling noise from inside the unit. Sound like a small plastic piece rattling around inside. I would very much like to pull the insides out of the orange casing to see exactly what it is that is rattling around and hopefully discover that it's a quick fix in case this should happen again.

Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? I don't want to risk damaging it more than it is now by trying something ill advised.

And yes, I have contact Garrett and still waiting for a reply..

Cheers

I've had a rattling sound in my carrot. I found a very small stone in the small speaker box on the outside. Somehow it got between the slats and wouldn't come out. This does did not cause any issues though, unlike what yours is doing. I would not take it apart, send it back instead. You may do more damage and Garrett may not honor the warranty. Good luck.

Do not take it apart yourself, unless you want to void your warranty. I've had over a dozen different carrots, and not one of them has ever had issues. I would send it back to garrett and ask for another new one. Its rare to get a lemon, even more rare to get one twice in a row! Third times the charm :cool3:

Yes do not take apart Garrett will void your warranty call and ask for Hilda she is the best that I have ever dealt with she will help you out good luck

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I know for a fact through a bad experience with my one attempt on taking the black Garretts apart...broke the switch. Many folks had troubles with that one.

Has anybody taken a Carrot apart though? Is it the same?

carrot trash
buy the old black pin pointer
never had trouble with mine
i have 2 one is 5 yrs old still works correcly
why would any one want a carrot ?
for the beach salt water ? lol
if you need a carrot at the ocean best give up hunting!!:laughing::laughing:

I've had a rattling sound in my carrot. I found a very small stone in the small speaker box on the outside. Somehow it got between the slats and wouldn't come out. This does did not cause any issues though, unlike what yours is doing. I would not take it apart, send it back instead. You may do more damage and Garrett may not honor the warranty. Good luck.

Thanks to all.. I have a warranty replacement one coming in the mail now from the Canadian shop from which I had purchased the original one. They allowed me to keep this one.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

If you decide to open it, depress the switch to on and leave it there while you pull the guts out, and back in.

Thanks, finally got it opened without damaging anything and oddly enough, nothing is now rattling inside.. what ever it was didn't fall out onto the work mat when it opened.. weird. Anyway, nothing odd or amiss looking on the PCB or connectors that seems to be causing the issues I'm having. Might just be a bad eprom? Hopefully, the new one should be here before the ground thaws.. New blue tooth buds coming in and I'm itching to find my fair share of bottle caps ;)

Thanks to all who were helpful with comments.. Never did hear back from Garrett themselves..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom