Equinox 600 or 800

Jlemay3

Looking for a little advice, I have an AT Pro at the moment and while it's definitely not bad I will likely want to upgrade at some point between now and fall. I haven't had it super long, few months but I've put in well over 100 hours already. If it were just me I would just keep the AT Pro for at least another year before thinking about upgrading but my dad also comes with me sometimes. He's hard of hearing so he struggles with Pro mode so the AT Pro works well since it offers pro and standard. But it seems silly to buy two of the same machine, especially when the Nox 600 isn't much more and has really good reviews. From my research it seems the 600 and 800 are basically the same just the 800 has the wireless Bluetooth headphones and a few "advance features". Are those features and the headphones worth the extra money? The only reason I ask now is because the 800 is back ordered everywhere, seems about a 2-3 month wait from most places. The 600 is in stock so I would just wait if I go with that but if I determine the 800 is worth the extra money if want to get on the wait list. Also, anyone who has used both the At Pro and a nox 600/800 any comments/opinions comparing the two would be much appreciated.

The only other suggestion I can make is to look at the resale if that is of any concern. If you have no intentions of ever selling the Equinox then resale won't matter.

Myself I went for the 800 for the 40 kHz, for my tot lot hunting, and the wireless headphones.

I went from the ATP to the 600 and am happy. If you like the ATP then the 600 is probably good enough. If you intend to be more of a super user, then some of the features of the 800 are nice. Side note, the 600 has wireless, but doesn't come with the super fast wireless connector or wireless headphones. Any bluetooth phones would work though.

BCD

Ask yourself:

Do I need gold mode?
Do I need the advanced features?
Do I need the wireless module? (you can use bluetooth with any headphones on the 600 or 800)

When I went down the list my answer was no, no, no. So I went with the 600. I have over 30 hours with the machine on the beach. I have never taken it out of beach 1+2. The only settings I have touched are the volume and sensitivity. The 800 would of been a waste for my hunting.

I went with the 800 mostly for the extra audio adjustments and ability to fine tune recovery/iron bias. Bluetooth headphones are nice too. I may never use the gold mode but its there if I need it.

I think in the long run you would enjoy 800 model moreso, once you figure out the different settings.

The 800 model does by way of audio adjustments offer a user some better discrimination tonally in some sites.

If your soil is harsh mineral wise 800 definitely a better choice.

The headphone module (that comes with 800 model) allows one to run any detector headphones with bigger Jack. (Need adapter though)

I think the 800 is worth the extra dough (if one keeps) based on the headphone amenities (wireless and wired). The rest the 800 offers is icing on the cake.

Your choice.

Last edited:
I have 2 At Pros. I just bought a 600. I like it so far and it is light. The headphones are mediocre, they should have used a coiled cord instead of a straight cord. I almost always used the 5x8 coil on the AT Pro because i hate The lack if separation on the stock coil. The stock coil on the 600 is definitely deeper with better separation than the 5x8 on the Garrett.

So far I like the 600. But I definitely would prefer better visual ID numbers. As far as wireless headphones, they aren’t my cup of tea. I don’t want another battery to keep charged and I don’t want to deal with connectivity issues that some are having.

800 gives you (3) backlight settings. It also gives you an extra charge cable -- cable alone will probably be $39.95 once ML catches up on their backorders and makes it available.

Looking for a little advice, I have an AT Pro at the moment and while it's definitely not bad I will likely want to upgrade at some point between now and fall. I haven't had it super long, few months but I've put in well over 100 hours already. If it were just me I would just keep the AT Pro for at least another year before thinking about upgrading but my dad also comes with me sometimes. He's hard of hearing so he struggles with Pro mode so the AT Pro works well since it offers pro and standard. But it seems silly to buy two of the same machine, especially when the Nox 600 isn't much more and has really good reviews. From my research it seems the 600 and 800 are basically the same just the 800 has the wireless Bluetooth headphones and a few "advance features". Are those features and the headphones worth the extra money? The only reason I ask now is because the 800 is back ordered everywhere, seems about a 2-3 month wait from most places. The 600 is in stock so I would just wait if I go with that but if I determine the 800 is worth the extra money if want to get on the wait list. Also, anyone who has used both the At Pro and a nox 600/800 any comments/opinions comparing the two would be much appreciated.

Here's 800 F/S
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=262022

I feel as another poster said you need to weed out what you need or want, dose any of the things the 800 has over 600 would be of use to you or not. No need to pay extra for things you will never use and this can be said about any metal detector;)

Ask yourself:

Do I need gold mode?
Do I need the advanced features?
Do I need the wireless module? (you can use bluetooth with any headphones on the 600 or 800)

When I went down the list my answer was no, no, no. So I went with the 600. I have over 30 hours with the machine on the beach. I have never taken it out of beach 1+2. The only settings I have touched are the volume and sensitivity. The 800 would of been a waste for my hunting.

Thanks for the response, both you and everyone else. I'll have to look into the specifics of the advanced features. If those were included in the 600 or not I'm the 800 I would say definitely not but having never used an 800 I can't say how useful those are. Gold mode is prob never use and the wireless module would be nice but not worth upgrading for on it owns.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm actually not looking for one right now, if I decide on the 600 I'm planning to wait to buy it since there's no availability issues. I only ask now since 800's have a few month waiting list so if I decide to go with it id get on the list soon so I don't have to wait another couple months once I am in the market for one.

I really wanted to upgrade feom the Atpro to see what I've missed. That said I haven't found much more yet. It takes time to learn a new machine.
I went for the 800 for maximum possibility of adjustments so I wouldn't regret being outgunned.

To me, it a no brainer. The 800 has wireless headphones that sound pretty good. That alone makes it worth it. You won't be tethered to the detector like on the 600. Plus it has the wireless module that allows the use of other headphones. From what I read of others who use the 600 , the headphones are not well liked. So if you upgrade to a better set, you negated the price difference.

As for the settings of the 600 compared to the 800, the 800 gives more adjustability and depending on your hunting preferences, the 600 might not do as well in certain situations. As for simplicity, most of the settings on the 800 are the same as the 600 but the 600 has fewer adjustments. So if one can use the 600, the 800 will not be that much more complicated. The biggest difference is that the 800 has more tone adjustments like tone break, tone volume and tone pitch. These adjustments are better for setting up to get the sound effects you like. This is nice in the trash as to make the coin tones stand out.

With the 800 you can also discriminate without using any discrimination. You can do this by muting tone bins for unwanted targets. I’ve noticed some advantages of doing it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, it a no brainer. The 800 has wireless headphones that sound pretty good. That alone makes it worth it. You won't be tethered to the detector like on the 600.

Why would one be tethered with the 600? You can use any wireless bluetooth headphones with the 600 or 800. You can buy wireless bluetooth ear buds for $10 at walmart. And if you want waterproof, which many do, those don't come with either machine.

Why would one be tethered with the 600? You can use any wireless bluetooth headphones with the 600 or 800. You can buy wireless bluetooth ear buds for $10 at walmart. And if you want waterproof, which many do, those don't come with either machine.

Those $10 earbuds are not low latency either. If you buy low latency ear buds, you will pay a lot more than $10. Ear duds are nice but in a lot of places, the noise level is higher and a headset will nock out some of the noises. Now with the 800, you have the wireless module (wm08)so you can buy a set of waterproof wired ear buds and use them without the lag. You can also buy a equinox waterproof plug and wire them to the set of waterproof ear buds and you now you have buds that can be used with the wireless module for land hunting or connect it straight to the detector for water detecting.

Plus, if you don't want the wireless headphones, you can sell them and also sell the wireless module. Then you will have the 800 for close to the price of the 800.

I feel the more advanced settings on the 800 plus the wireless headphones and wireless module are a better deal than the 600. The options for headphones and earbuds are better.

Back
Top Bottom