Customer rolled coins

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
I was in my bank the other day and just for kicks I asked if they had any halves on hand. I've never coin roll hunted, but what the heck. I understood the concept. They said they had a couple in their drawers, unless I was interested in buying rolls. They had 10 rolls on hand....100 dollars.

I noticed right away that they didn't look factory rolled. They all had the same wrapper with the same initials. On the way to my car it occurred to me that I almost certainly had somebody else's silver-free coin roll hunt dump and not a bunch of rolls full of silver turned in by some clueless person.

I turned out to be right, but was my suspicion about the odds correct? Are customer rolled coins almost certain to be a coin roll hunt dump? Do you steer clear of them and only place orders for boxes? The 10 rolls did have a ton of proofs, but only about 5 were virtually scratch free. I figure many hunters are only pulling out silver.

I doubt I'll be doing it again anytime soon, but I was just curious what the experienced hunters have found to be true.

My banks never have customer wrapped coin because they have coin machines. I would love the chance to look through customer rolled coins.

Noooo...quite the opposite here I *JUMP* at customer wrapped rolls. Unless you know for sure another hunter is dumping them (continued pattern of them having CWRs that look the same and are total duds) keep grabbing them.

Yes, most of the time they are total duds, probably rolled by someone who had sense enough to look for silver at least, but when they are turned in by the clueless, they can be loaded with oldies.

We average 1 or maybe 2 silver per box (1000) of halves. Off the top of my head, in my experience, I'd say in the long run CWRs (including loose teller halves) have at *least* 5% silver. Grab them!

HH

Always buy them all, regardless.

I was obsessed with roll hunting between 2009-2014, and searched at least $150k in coin, boxes and cwr, at a ratio of probably 1:10 mwr vs cwr.

Buy them all, dump elsewhere. Not only will the tellers love you, the chances of solid silver rolls in the mix are greater than machine wrapped. I found at least a dozen solids over the years.

I can’t remember how many rolls with “X”, or “1978” or “no silver” markings actually did contain silver. Marked paper rolls get used over and over again.

Nine of those rolls might be dumps, but that tenth roll could be randomn and hold silver.

Agree with everyone else. CWR are the best ones and I have also found many solid silver rolls

Shoulda pick up the 10 rolls, searched them, then returned them for your money back. Coulda searched them in your car, right in the parking lot. If it was me, I woulda scooped them up. Because you never know.

Shoulda pick up the 10 rolls, searched them, then returned them for your money back. Coulda searched them in your car, right in the parking lot. If it was me, I woulda scooped them up. Because you never know.

Oh, I did get them. I know 10 rolls isn't enough to conclude they were already searched and dumped coin roll hunt coins, but there weren't any 40% or 90% silver. If it means anything, there were lots of 1970s, including at least 20 bicentennials, a good amount of 1980s, fewer 1990s, and I don't think I saw a 2000s coin.

Since it's only 100 dollars I'm just going to entertain myself by using them for small cash purchases and tips for awhile.

All my best finds were from customer wrapped rolls. So in my opinion take them all.

As many rolls as KT has searched, His Majesty has never had the opportunity to search any customer rolled halves! Did get to purchase nearly 2 rolls worth that were not rolled, that a teller at the Royal Bank called me about. Out of 45 coins, 8 were 40%ers! So in KT's opinion, anytime you come across hand rolled coins, buy them! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

My banks never have customer wrapped coin because they have coin machines. I would love the chance to look through customer rolled coins.
If you ask nicely, they may sell you the bag off the machine. When I got back into the hobby ten years ago, I bought the $500 bag of halves from the coin counter at my CU. I found about 50 silver halves and dozens of other clad change mixed in.

Sadly, the vault teller told me that the bag they had shipped out previously had been topped off in solid silver that an elderly lady had brought in...:no:

That teller also sold me my first $40 roll of halves, solid silver!
I’ve only seen a couple of those oddball long rolls since then.

I’ve have a lot of stories from over the years that I’ll try to remember and rehash.

If you ask nicely, they may sell you the bag off the machine. When I got back into the hobby ten years ago, I bought the $500 bag of halves from the coin counter at my CU. I found about 50 silver halves and dozens of other clad change mixed in.

Sadly, the vault teller told me that the bag they had shipped out previously had been topped off in solid silver that an elderly lady had brought in...:no:

That teller also sold me my first $40 roll of halves, solid silver!
I’ve only seen a couple of those oddball long rolls since then.

I’ve have a lot of stories from over the years that I’ll try to remember and rehash.
Interestingly the bank where I dump my coins has machines that are free for members with accounts. Unfortunately they will not sell bags because they get quite a lot of coin returned to them. My credit union will sell me bags from time to time, but they do have a small fee associated with using the coin machine. Because of this it takes a longer time for bags to be filled. The half bags that I have gotten have netted a decent number of keepers ( more than I get out of boxes ) but nickel, dime, and penny bags have been pretty boring.

Back
Top Bottom