December half tally

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
It was a great December!
I had one crazy good box (60 ish silver) and a bunch of residual good boxes followed. 20 boxes searched. The numbers:

223 40%
27 90% Ken
12 Benjamin
6 Walkers
32 proof
19 1987
1 1976 business strike silver
1997s silver proof
1998s silver proof
2001s silver proof
2004 French Polynesia 100 franc
1971 French 5 franc
1986 Liberty commemorative

I'lll see about a year end tally at some point.

Happy Hunting, y'all, and happy new year!

Attachments

• CRH_DEC2018r.jpg
    CRH_DEC2018r.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 570
Wow, that's amazing.

What the heck am I doing wrong??? Ok, so I've only searched 3 boxes of halves so far, but I've got 0 silver. I was really optimistic in my first box as I had two proof enders, ended up with 8 proofs in that box, but again. . . 0 silver. My second box was a complete and total bust. 0 keepers in the entire box. My third box gave me 3 proofs, but again, nothing else.

Am I missing something???

I mean, even without your crazy-good box of 60, that's still like 10 silvers a box. Slightly different than my 0 silvers a box. Maybe I'm asking for the wrong boxes. Next time I'll ask them to order me a box of halves, but the ones with the silver in them.

Wow... I never hit a box like that... congratulations..just curious..what state are you in?..seems like the farther south the better the hunting is..

Congrats on some unreal boxes. As for me, I search one box per week (sometimes two) and in my 50+ boxes for the year, I was not even close to the those numbers. Hopeful some of the good fortune will shift my way.
Again, congrats and happy continued successful hunting.

Wow, that's amazing.

What the heck am I doing wrong??? Ok, so I've only searched 3 boxes of halves so far, but I've got 0 silver. I was really optimistic in my first box as I had two proof enders, ended up with 8 proofs in that box, but again. . . 0 silver. My second box was a complete and total bust. 0 keepers in the entire box. My third box gave me 3 proofs, but again, nothing else.

You are missing one important factor, volume. You need to put about 50 boxes under your belt, then report back. Seriously. :cool:

I'm going to keep going, I've got box #4 on order now. But I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep my interest if I keep getting shut out. Depositing all of these coins feels a little inconvenient for the banks. But I'll keep trying.

You are missing one important factor, volume. You need to put about 50 boxes under your belt, then report back. Seriously. :cool:

Thanks everyone, I feel very fortunate to have hit the December motherlode! :)

Wow, that's amazing.

amc rulz for the win! It's like the first three rules of real estate translated for coin roll hunting -- Volume, volume, volume. No one can guarantee you'll find silver, but the more you search the more you are likely to find.

Fooleeze you aren't doing anything wrong. Don't give up. I have super lean times. I recently had 13 straight goose-egg boxes. I got lucky with these November and December boxes, and as soon as I could, I asked my bank to order extra boxes for me to try to capitalize even more.

My theory is that almost everything I find is a relatively recent bank deposit. Thieves or inheritors who have no clue. The good stuff gets mixed up with all the other halves circulating out there, and some rolls and some boxes get heavier concentration of the good stuff. It's random chance if the boxes I get were wrapped / filled in sequence, but the more I get, the more chances to get in on the good boxes. I also believe there is a silver "background noise" out there, too, a few silvers that have been floating around a long time, and they turn up as a single silver in a box. I think I find more 1 silver boxes than goose-eggs.

That you are finding proofs is a very good sign! I always take any I find, I suspect most of us do. That means you are probably getting some fresh deposits, just not silvers...yet! I frequently find proofs and commemoratives and 1987 mixed in with my big silver boxes.

Wow... I never hit a box like that... congratulations..just curious..what state are you in?..seems like the farther south the better the hunting is..

I'm in Missouri. I take all my dump coins south of the border for His Majesty to search though, lol! :laughing:

I'm going to keep going, I've got box #4 on order now. But I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep my interest if I keep getting shut out. Depositing all of these coins feels a little inconvenient for the banks. But I'll keep trying.

Yeah, keep at it. I remember early on I only found a few 40%ers in my first 10 or so boxes, nothing spectacular, then I found a Walker and it's like "no way I just found that." Hooked. :)

And be sure to follow the "etiquette" and common sense of getting your coins from one bank and dumping at another. Spread the inconvenience -- don't heap it all at one place. And ideally use two banks that use two different coin services so you are minimizing how many of your coins you are searching and re-searching and re-re-searching...

Happy Hunting!

My opinion is that the majority of the boxes containing the bits of silver aren’t recent deposits. Sure, there might be cashing in of a hoard or a theft here or there, but not enough to amount to anything. I just don’t think it happens as often as folks think. I believe that the good boxes might just be lower on the pallet. First in, first out insures that the armored service delivers newer boxes that have been recently re-rolled.

Just my 50 cents. Who knows for sure?

We discussed this on some forums years ago, asking all CRH’ers to go out and order boxes from specific banks so that we could get closer to the bottom of the pallet, where the good stuff was.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep at it. Box #4 was a giant goose-egg. . . Box #5 on order. Unfortunately my one supply bank will only commit to 1 box a month. I've got another supply bank to fill in the gap. I'm withdrawing from one account and depositing into another bank / account. Luckily, the 'deposit' bank has no less than 10 branches around me, so spreading the wealth is pretty easy. I also use Coinstar in addition for some of it, for the Amazon and Home Depot gift cards.

Thanks! And congrats again on your success.

When you guys use the term "Box". What are you referring to?

Thanks, Mike
Good question. The boxes were referring to are boxes of rolled coins. :grin: Coin roll hunting (CRHing) is buying rolls/boxes of coins to look through for wheaties, silver, errors, etc.. :D

Here is a little list I made that has the number per roll and per box:
  • Pennies: 50 coins per roll (50¢) - $25 per box
  • Nickels: 40 coins per roll ($2.00) - $100 per box
  • Dimes: 50 coins per roll ($5.00) - $250 per box
  • Quarters: 40 coins per roll ($10) - $500 per box
  • Halves: 20 coins per roll ($10) - $500 per box

Good question. The boxes were referring to are boxes of rolled coins. :grin: Coin roll hunting (CRHing) is buying rolls/boxes of coins to look through for wheaties, silver, errors, etc.. :D

Here is a little list I made that has the number per roll and per box:
  • Pennies: 50 coins per roll (50¢) - $25 per box
  • Nickels: 40 coins per roll ($2.00) - $100 per box
  • Dimes: 50 coins per roll ($5.00) - $250 per box
  • Quarters: 40 coins per roll ($10) - $500 per box
  • Halves: 20 coins per roll ($10) - $500 per box

Thanks Wolfdog.
Next question, where do we buy them? I read someone above mention Loomis I believe?

thanks again.

Thanks Wolfdog.
Next question, where do we buy them? I read someone above mention Loomis I believe?

thanks again.

You're welcome. :yes: Most credit unions & banks will have rolls/boxes of pennies, nickels, & dimes on hand. Do a withdrawal and instead of cash ask for it in whichever coins you wish to search through. If you want half dollars, ask if they have the amount you want to search in halves. If they don't, you can ask if they will order some. Some banks charge a fee to order coins, so try to find one that won't charge you a fee. :D Hope this helps. :yes:

Companies like Loomis, Dunbar, and NF Strings & Sons are some companies that roll coins, and then sell them to banks. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom