Sinkers of all shapes and sizes

sandgroper

Elite Member
Earlier this week I got out twice to a local beach to try out my new sand scoop. Found a nice beach cut and worked it for two hours on both hunts. Got about $10 in coins, a nice tungsten carbide ring (thought it was silver at first as it’s quite heavy) and 53 lead sinkers, (38 in my second hunt). I was only honestly surprised by the amount of sinkers I found (most were 8+ in the wet sand), so I was hoping to score a gold ring or two but I guess I’m not that lucky :lol:

The scoop works quite well, it’s made of 5mm piping so it’s quite sturdy. The wooden handle needs some minor improvements, and I would like to add another handle down the bottom so it’s easier to shake the sand out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 442
I made a similar one out of pvc. I was surprised how well it worked. But as with everything I ended up upgrading to an actual scoop and using the other as a “backup” or for my son to use.

Nice finds. I don't think I would be able to walk easily if I had that many weights in my bag. Thinking of bringing a wagon along, at least it will be easier to pull.

I know the feeling, the amount of lead sinkers I find beggars belief!

Those tungstens have such nice weight! :roll: That's more lead than I get in a month! :wow:

I made a similar one out of pvc. I was surprised how well it worked. But as with everything I ended up upgrading to an actual scoop and using the other as a “backup” or for my son to use.

For now I'll be sticking to this one, works quite well. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade but at the moment I don't see a reason to.

Nice scoop

Thanks! :)

Nice finds. I don't think I would be able to walk easily if I had that many weights in my bag. Thinking of bringing a wagon along, at least it will be easier to pull.

Thanks, yes those sinker do pull you down! :yes:

I know the feeling, the amount of lead sinkers I find beggars belief!

At least I now know that this beach is more popular for fishing than I thought!

Those tungstens have such nice weight! :roll: That's more lead than I get in a month! :wow:

Yes, it's weight made me think that it was silver at first. But I'd rather find a nice tungsten ring than a crusty copper ring! :grin:

You are in the right zone. I find sinkers like that I cant sleep that night. Last hunt I had like that netted a 15.8 gram 10k. Gold luck!

You are in the right zone. I find sinkers like that I cant sleep that night. Last hunt I had like that netted a 15.8 gram 10k. Gold luck!

Wow, that would've been a chunky ring. Luckily this beach gets eroded quite often (at least twice a year) so I can always go back for more.

Do scrape the sinkers for the lead value or sell them to the fishermen :laughing:

Ray

Broken sinkers, or sinkers which are in horrible condition, get scrapped (I get $1/kg). Sinkers which are still good to use I keep, and I've been thinking of selling a few kilos because I honestly don't need that many. :lol:

Thanks! Why don't they make them anymore? Can you still use them though from other states?

Yes you can still use them they just outlawed the sale of lead due to environmental restrictions. But they work better if you ask me!

Nice scoop! They don't make lead sinkers anymore here so those could be valuable someday 😋

I have not been fishing in years so what do they use instead of lead? Since Dick's closed down in our town everybody has to travel across the Hudson for fishing gear.

Ray

I have not been fishing in years so what do they use instead of lead? Since Dick's closed down in our town everybody has to travel across the Hudson for fishing gear.

Ray

Its all aluminum... It doesn't have any density at all

Man that is just what we need, more aluminum while we detect.:mad: I have found a lot of small lead shot style fishing weights, I think in aluminum it would drive me nuts.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom