• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

June 14' @Germany/Belgium/France

jherrera14

Hi people,

Disclamer: I have never done metal detecting. I'm less than a newbie :)

I'm Juan from Argentina. I'm planning my very first trip to Europe. I'm travelling on May 25th, 2014, and I'll stay there for about a month. The reason of my trip: World War 2.
I would say I'm a WW2 fan, and I plan to be in the 70th D-Day Aniversary.

Due to time and money, I will visit the known places (Normandy area, Berlin, Munich, Warsow, Auschwitz) and I'd also like visiting some battlefields in the Ardennes area, or outside Berlin or Munich.

I'd really love to do metal detection in the battlefields, but as you may guessed, I don't have a clue how to do it, which equipment I might need, where to rent equipment (if that can be done) :(.

So..is anyone planning a trip during June in Belgium or Germany? I'd love to see how you guys work, and of course, really happy if something can be found!!

I have a draft plan of my trip, but if someone is willing to go to some WWII battlefield, and teach a rookie how things are done, I'll try to adapt my trip.

Thanks!!
j.

Hi Juan,

I would recommend buying a metal detector now as it will give you a few months to get comfortable with how everything works. My Teknetics metal detector breaks down into several pieces which allows me to pack it in a suitcase pretty easily, I would assume other detectors break down easily as well.

There are lots of threads in this forum that can help you find what you need to get started (in regards to equipment).

I live in Berlin, if you have a detector we can meet up and go find some forests around Berlin and do some searching.

Hi Juan,

I would recommend buying a metal detector now as it will give you a few months to get comfortable with how everything works.

Good. I'll see if I can find one here.

I live in Berlin, if you have a detector we can meet up and go find some forests around Berlin and do some searching.

Great! Great! I'll let you know. Thanks for the reply!

No worries. I would recommend finding which detectors are available for sale in your country and then finding reviews about them online. Spend some time reading through the forum and ask questions (in the appropriate category) if you have any. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and expertise in these forums. Once you have more details about your trip feel free to PM me. :cool:

Ok. After reading several threads and comments in different forums, I decided to go for the Garret ACE 250. As far as I could read, it's a good detector for beginners.
I'll probably buy one these days and hopefully, I'll start using it in a few weeks.

I hope your invitation still stands :D

Cheers,
j.

Ok. After reading several threads and comments in different forums, I decided to go for the Garret ACE 250. As far as I could read, it's a good detector for beginners.
I'll probably buy one these days and hopefully, I'll start using it in a few weeks.

I hope your invitation still stands :D

Cheers,
j.

Very nice, That should do just fine. Practice, Practice, Practice before you go on your trip.

When planning your trip, remember that each country has different rules regarding detecting -- especially with battlefields. You must be careful not to dig somewhere you are not allowed. Anyways, feel free to PM anytime as I just happened to see your last post by chance.

Back
Top Bottom