Lost civil war treasure / FBI recovery ?

I used the Amber Room as an example because it's a factual documented case of a "lost" treasure from relatively modern times. Does that make all similar stories factual? Of course not...

From a treasure hunting perspective, would I invest time and money looking for the Amber Room? No, (not because it never existed, because it did) but rather because like you i suspect it was destroyed.

Sadly, Tom is so cynical about all these treasure stories, that he can't answer a simple question which is are there any specific stories/legends he feels could be credible?
The completed amber room panels were originally installed in the Berlin City Palace. In 1716 Peter the Great of Russia was visiting and told King Frederick I's son Frederick William I how much he liked the room. I always speculated that Frederick William I saw this as the perfect opportunity to get rid of something that was difficult and expensive to maintain. So, Frederick gave the room to Peter the Great and that also sealed the deal on the Russian-Prussian alliance against Sweden. Frederick killed two birds with one "room sized" flashy trinket with that deal.

Last edited:
A member of our Club found a hoard of about 250 assorted Silver Roman coins on a club dig about 18 months ago....it's still being processed by the British Museum at the moment...

Would love to find something that old here ,so much history over there it is hard for us to imagine.

Last edited:

That was South Wales, but I am in North Wales, and the hoard I was on about was just over the border in England near a small town called Oswestry. I am not actually sure if it's been in the media yet, as it's still going through the recording process.

The club had got permission to detect on fields a few hundred yards from an Iron Age Hill fort, so we are wondering if there is any connection between the hoard being buried and its location...one speculation is that a unit of Roman soldiers may have buried the hoard for safe keeping before approaching the locals at the fort.

http://oldoswestryhillfort.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/OHG-hillfort-small.jpg

Another fairly famous (in UK terms!) item found only a couple of miles from me was the Mold Cape a stunning gold ceremonial item found by accident in Victorian times in a pile of stones that turned out to be a Bronze Age burial tomb..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_cape

That was South Wales, but I am in North Wales, and the hoard I was on about was just over the border in England near a small town called Oswestry. I am not actually sure if it's been in the media yet, as it's still going through the recording process.

The club had got permission to detect on fields a few hundred yards from an Iron Age Hill fort, so we are wondering if there is any connection between the hoard being buried and its location...one speculation is that a unit of Roman soldiers may have buried the hoard for safe keeping before approaching the locals at the fort.

http://oldoswestryhillfort.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/OHG-hillfort-small.jpg

Another fairly famous (in UK terms!) item found only a couple of miles from me was the Mold Cape a stunning gold ceremonial item found by accident in Victorian times in a pile of stones that turned out to be a Bronze Age burial tomb..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_cape

Nice picture of the fort area .

A update on the gold recovery / new law suite issued ...

David, what do you mean "gold recovery" ? Who ever said any gold was "recovered" ?

And this "lawsuit" is nothing more than the very thing I've been saying all along : The only "smoke" you see, is the "smoke" that FK himself creates.

He runs around with a legend (that has no substantiation). Then runs around beating on the doors of news media and government agencies. Then creates a giant conspiracy, gathers lawyers, beats on more media outlet doors.

He FINALLY creates "smoke".

I can do the same thing in a heartbeat : Announce that I know where 10 murder victims are buried. Run around making a big fuss about it. Until FINALLY I get some LEO agency to go see if, in fact, there are bodies there.

When they announce : "There were no bodies", I merely scream "COVERUP" and "CONSPIRACY" . And start hiring lawyers.

Tell me how his antics are anything different ?? This is all a big joke.

David, what do you mean "gold recovery" ? Who ever said any gold was "recovered" ?

And this "lawsuit" is nothing more than the very thing I've been saying all along : The only "smoke" you see, is the "smoke" that FK himself creates.

He runs around with a legend (that has no substantiation). Then runs around beating on the doors of news media and government agencies. Then creates a giant conspiracy, gathers lawyers, beats on more media outlet doors.

He FINALLY creates "smoke".

I can do the same thing in a heartbeat : Announce that I know where 10 murder victims are buried. Run around making a big fuss about it. Until FINALLY I get some LEO agency to go see if, in fact, there are bodies there.

When they announce : "There were no bodies", I merely scream "COVERUP" and "CONSPIRACY" . And start hiring lawyers.

Tell me how his antics are anything different ?? This is all a big joke.

just a follow up to the original story that was in the news today for anyone following it. Would those murder victims you mentioned be other people detecting in your favorate spots , that disappeared? Another link to the article https://www.cbsnews.com/news/civil-war-era-gold-justice-department-fbi-dig-lawsuit/

hurry up now and be a good citizen and report it to the government......

Huh ? :?: What is the "it" ? There is no "it" here. Nothing was found .... in the first place.

PPUULLLEEEAAassseee don't egg David on anymore ! :roll: :laughing:

A member of our Club found a hoard of about 250 assorted Silver Roman coins on a club dig about 18 months ago....it's still being processed by the British Museum at the moment...

Would love to find something that old here ,so much history over there it is hard for us to imagine.

The matter finally came before the Coroner at an Inquest today where it was formally declared as Treasure...given the nature of the find, this was just a formality, but the story got a lot of good coverage in the media, with one example in one of the regional papers:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...shw8j4skdqM8433hUs05ahcyq24PI7RKG8RbFZVr3b9L4

The matter finally came before the Coroner at an Inquest today where it was formally declared as Treasure...given the nature of the find, this was just a formality, but the story got a lot of good coverage in the media, with one example in one of the regional papers:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...shw8j4skdqM8433hUs05ahcyq24PI7RKG8RbFZVr3b9L4

here is a recent find you might find of interest https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...er-200-ancient-coins/ar-AASDu5B?ocid=msedgntp wonder if you can train a badger :laughing:

I love this quote : ".... Using sophisticated high-end metal detectors ...." :roll:

Uhhhh, gee, and why didn't the media (and or FK himself) tell people about the dowsing also used ? Because of course they'd be the laughing stock.

Dave, please stop torturing us !! :sissyfight:

I wish that the media, who loves these salacious stories, would let someone come on to give the more-plausible-explanations for all these conspiracies theories gone awry. To allow for balanced comment.

I volunteer to explain away all the smoke that FK is making. Where's the media to interview me ? Instead, it's the clowns that are "certain they've found a treasure" that show up beating on the media's doorstep.

An example of this psychology is the dudes on Oak Island show : You would be surprised at all the clowns that are writing letters, calling, showing up, sending emails, all HELL BENT on asking the Lagina brothers to come help them (finance, etc....) their "Iron-clad-treasure" they've "found" (past tense).

See how it's merely a social contagion ? Brings all the dreamers out of the woodwork. And just like Oak Island, when nothing is there, it NEVER means "nothing is there". It only means someone stole it. Or it's a little deeper. Or .... someone got it decades earlier I guess. Or "durned those sunspots that must've affected my dowsing rod", etc..... But rest assured: TREASURE !! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom