a little off topic but...

nwohio

Forum Supporter
this past summer, wife wanted to drive the blue ridge parkway for our vacation. We started in northern VA and drove to the end. I took my metal detector along on vacation but, other than clad and junk, had nothing great.
We were in NC and I remembered a "hunt for gems mine" that was on discovery channel' s hunt for treasure or some such thing. Turned out we were not that far away, after some discussion (my pleading and whinning for 60 miles) we swung in. Found two nice stones that they said were really worth getting cut.
got them back the other day and had them apprasied.
The Emerald priced out at 850.00 (execellent commercial grade) and the Ruby floored us at $1700.00 (very fine with outstanding color).
Not a metal detector find, but a heck of a treasure find.
Once you get the thrill of the hunt with a detector, I figure any type of hunt is worth the effort. Now she is interested in Diamond Crater in AR.

Attachments

• gems 004.jpg
    gems 004.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 531
I have some stones from that area's mines as well (ruby, sapphire, garnet). I was curious, though, where you had them cut at, or if you had them cut the stones there.

There is only one lapidary in the city that I live in, and he's a bit off when it comes to bringing in uncut stones, and I have some rather large sapphires that I'd like to get cut.

Anyway, give me some ideas, because I have quite a few stones sitting here in containers, with the rubies alone being over 3 ounces, and the sapphires are even bigger and better than those.

Thanks,
Aeryck

Back
Top Bottom