Under rated detectors

Good topic! I agree, it seems that some detectors are at times looked down upon, despite what capabilities they have. When I first started detecting, I used a Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior, and was thrilled to uncover with it my first wheat penny. Later, operating a Harbor Freight 9-Function, I dug my first special ring find. Now my go-to machine is the Ace 250, which I applaud & enjoy for its easy-to-use, practical functions.

While it's definitely true that advanced technology offers a more vast array of options, I think it's also noteworthy that, as I've learned here on FMDF, it's sometimes of equal or greater importance to really get to know, learn, and understand your detector than it is to possess a super high-end, extraordinarily capable machine. :grin:

Capable people can out do any capable detector any day...good point Princess:yes:

+1 on the Fisher F2.
In 3 years using mostly the sniper coil I found 4-5000 coins worth about $300 or more with it every year, several old and silver ones too, and my specialty was jewelry so I found several dozen silver rings, medallions, chains, earrings and other stuff that I can't fit into display cases.
Also gold...maybe about 15 pieces, including many rings with ice
It cost me $200...it paid for itself way more than 10x's over in the 3 years I used it.
The fun I had using it was priceless.

Good research skills and a bad detector are better than bad research skills and a good detector. That said, my answer is given what a used E-Trac costs these days, it is by far the most value for the money if silver is your goal.

Minelab FBS technology still trumps selectable or multi-frequency technology. And I am not yet convinced that the newer Minelab machines have the right mix of frequencies and software to outperform the E-Trac, tho I do intend to do science on this matter once time and money frees up.

As for separation and recovery, it is hard to trump a machine that can hear a silver at 10 inches with 5 nails in the hole above it. The E-Trac can do this, and that is important at old house sites.

As for the Nokta, I am very intrigued with the machine. Again given time and money, I would love to do some science against the E-Trac. But, as a silver guy, I'm not so excited about the 14 Khz frequency, but I have alot to learn about the machine.

All this said, at the end of the day, a Radioshack detector is the best value if you are having a good time. That is all that matters.

FBS is multi frequency.
A silver at 10" with 5 nails above it, dream on.

Minelab FBS technology still trumps selectable or multi-frequency technology. And I am not yet convinced that the newer Minelab machines have the right mix of frequencies and software to outperform the E-Trac, tho I do intend to do science on this matter once time and money frees up.

As for separation and recovery, it is hard to trump a machine that can hear a silver at 10 inches with 5 nails in the hole above it. The E-Trac can do this, and that is important at old house sites.

Fisher CZ's as they can still punch deep and match machines of today coil for coil on deep silver. Not bad for a near 30 year old analog detector design.

Last edited:
I think the X-terra line is very underrated. I spent a lot of hours with both the 305 and the 705 and loved them both.
I should say it WAS underrated, too many better options out there today to consider.
I would buy a Vanquish, Simplex, or Apex today before I would buy another X-terra.

Fisher CZ's can still punch deep and match machines of today coil for coil on deep silver. Not bad for a near 30 year old analog detector design.

still killin' it! "deeeep mother!"
put a 5" "hockey puck" on it, and
it will do a respectable job in the trash,along with
amazing depth for a small coil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom