My first silver EVER and it's a BIG ONE!

SherpaJones

Alright, so last night I was at a 1950's school digging up pennies, ranging from early 70's to late 90's. Nothing special, except finding about 20 or so in one hole. Maybe the kids were throwing them at each other, I dunno. But anyway, some random person came up to me and started asking questions, and started getting interested in what I was doing. He suggested a beach about 30 minutes drive, and gave some of the history of that place.

Well, tonight after work and dinner, I set out to see what was up. I searched around for about 45 minutes while indulging some onlookers. I found a modern dollar, a few interesting pieces of nothing, and a lot of junk. As it was starting to get dark, and everyone was heading home, I swung down around the high side of a gravel cut. And then I got a really nice signal. Can't remember what it read, but it was a nice clear high tone each direction. I dug it, and my first thought was that it was a large cent. It was big and brown, but then I saw George VI on it, and well that can't be a large cent! I turned it over, and there was the crest and at the top as clear as day "50 cents!" My first ever silver! :wow::D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptJDtLiuNA

There was a lot of iron nearby, so that might explain the color, but I don't care, it is my first silver and it is big! I was grinning ear to ear, and made a quick video on the spot. It was getting dark fast, and I had a long ride back on the motorcycle, so I headed back and found a '68 penny on the way, which is a good sign. All in all a worthwhile trip that got me on the silver scoreboard. I'll be heading there again soon, hopefully at low tide, and I'll post anything good that I find.

HH!

Attachments

• 20160822_213709_HDR.jpg
    20160822_213709_HDR.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,530
  • 20160822_213725_HDR.jpg
    20160822_213725_HDR.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3,560
Areas that are exposed enough to kick out the oldies on beaches can get sanded in overnight.. Better get back there really quick and clean it out!!!

Dig anything that doesn't sound like iron. Might be a lot of old gold there too!!

Big congrats on your first!!

<°)))>{

Areas that are exposed enough to kick out the oldies on beaches can get sanded in overnight.. Better get back there really quick and clean it out!!!

Dig anything that doesn't sound like iron. Might be a lot of old gold there too!!

Big congrats on your first!!

<°)))>{

Thanks! Yeah, I plan to go back as soon as possible, probably spend a good portion of my day Saturday there. I don't have enough time on the evenings to spend down there, tonight was a recon hunt. I probably won't sleep much until I do though!

HH!

Way to go! Beach silver comes out looking like that. As stated above, hit that spot as it will most likely "sand in" very soon.

If you wanted to get that silver oxide off, I have a quick video on YouTube on how to get it off (it's simple and cheap). Just search under GStout76.

Take care,

Greg

What a great first silver ! Amaizing find and way to keep an open mind when folks bring up old stomping grounds . Congradulations .
HH , Dew

Way to go! Beach silver comes out looking like that. As stated above, hit that spot as it will most likely "sand in" very soon.

If you wanted to get that silver oxide off, I have a quick video on YouTube on how to get it off (it's simple and cheap). Just search under GStout76.

Take care,

Greg

Hmm, I'm debating whether or not to clean it. I kinda like the brown patina, it makes it look unique.

I went back to the beach last night and there was a lot of sand. I don't think it was sanded in recently, it didn't look too different from the first time I went. I will probably wait until after some of the fall storms we get and see if it uncovers anything. The shore is fairly steep, so I don't know if anything good will get washed out to sea.

So today I decided to start cleaning this by electrolysis. I sort of McGyvered it with 4 AA batteries in parallel and tin foil as leads to the anode and cathode. As the toning diminished, what appears to be a small die crack started to appear above the lettering over George VI. I found a picture of a very similar, but more pronounced die crack on a '43 half, and in the same location. I'm fairly certain it is a die crack and not a scratch, as the metal is bright along the line making it more defined. If it was a scratch, it would probably still have toning, like all the other low relief areas. Also it would likely not be so fine. I don't think it will add much or anything to the value, as it is well circulated and cleaned by a hack electrolysis job, but it is still interesting.

First picture is of my coin, second is of a similar one I found by google search. Unfortunately I don't have a better camera, so this is the best I can show.

Attachments

• 20161218_202108_HDR.jpg
    20161218_202108_HDR.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,400
  • 50-cents-1943-die-crack-1943.jpg
    50-cents-1943-die-crack-1943.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,394
So today I decided to start cleaning this by electrolysis. I sort of McGyvered it with 4 AA batteries in parallel and tin foil as leads to the anode and cathode. As the toning diminished, what appears to be a small die crack started to appear above the lettering over George VI. I found a picture of a very similar, but more pronounced die crack on a '43 half, and in the same location. I'm fairly certain it is a die crack and not a scratch, as the metal is bright along the line making it more defined. If it was a scratch, it would probably still have toning, like all the other low relief areas. Also it would likely not be so fine. I don't think it will add much or anything to the value, as it is well circulated and cleaned by a hack electrolysis job, but it is still interesting.

First picture is of my coin, second is of a similar one I found by google search. Unfortunately I don't have a better camera, so this is the best I can show.

Nice Die Crack! Looks like it extends off to the right.

Alright, so last night I was at a 1950's school digging up pennies, ranging from early 70's to late 90's. Nothing special, except finding about 20 or so in one hole. Maybe the kids were throwing them at each other, I dunno. But anyway, some random person came up to me and started asking questions, and started getting interested in what I was doing. He suggested a beach about 30 minutes drive, and gave some of the history of that place.

Well, tonight after work and dinner, I set out to see what was up. I searched around for about 45 minutes while indulging some onlookers. I found a modern dollar, a few interesting pieces of nothing, and a lot of junk. As it was starting to get dark, and everyone was heading home, I swung down around the high side of a gravel cut. And then I got a really nice signal. Can't remember what it read, but it was a nice clear high tone each direction. I dug it, and my first thought was that it was a large cent. It was big and brown, but then I saw George VI on it, and well that can't be a large cent! I turned it over, and there was the crest and at the top as clear as day "50 cents!" My first ever silver! :wow::D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptJDtLiuNA

There was a lot of iron nearby, so that might explain the color, but I don't care, it is my first silver and it is big! I was grinning ear to ear, and made a quick video on the spot. It was getting dark fast, and I had a long ride back on the motorcycle, so I headed back and found a '68 penny on the way, which is a good sign. All in all a worthwhile trip that got me on the silver scoreboard. I'll be heading there again soon, hopefully at low tide, and I'll post anything good that I find.

HH!

Nice find. That's in really nice condition.
If you know how to clean the brown patina safely,let me know. I got a 1939-S Jefferson that's real nice but dark brown.

Back
Top Bottom