Steam Whistle part??

remmy

Forum Supporter
I found this a few months ago at a hone site built in 1786 (still standing). I actually did not dig it, someone else had and threw it next to a tree. I thought it looked interesting and finally decided to try to figure out what it is. I was watching a video the other day of a guy repairing a steam whistle (keith Rutger) and realized this is similar. The center plunger thing does not move much at all and opens the side passage when moved. I have yet to find a whistle that looks just like it and realized it may be something else. Anyone have a better idea? any help is appreciated.
Thanx for looking!

picture.php

picture.php

I dont see pics. But you might look at steam pop off valves they are very similar

A different version but looks similar to me as this thing I found once.
An old vintage high tank toilet fill valve....or a similar fill valve where that big arm attaches to a float to control overflowing some other type of tank.

Mine looked dirty and bad when dug but after tumbling it came out great...
Brass, copper and cool.

Never thought a toilet piece could be a proud piece of my collection.

Attachments

• P1050262.jpg
    P1050262.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 187
  • P1050264.jpg
    P1050264.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 182
  • P1050267.jpg
    P1050267.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 182
  • P1050268.jpg
    P1050268.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 182
A different version but looks similar to me as this thing I found once.
An old vintage high tank toilet fill valve....or a similar fill valve where that big arm attaches to a float to control overflowing some other type of tank.

Mine looked dirty and bad when dug but after tumbling it came out great...
Brass, copper and cool.

Never thought a toilet piece could be a proud piece of my collection.

Hey that does look similar in the way the lever system works. This one is brass, cant find any markings on it though. I don't think it is a toilet valve though because the flow would not be enough.

Edit: actually you may be correct. There is evidence of an iron rod or something that was screwed into the end of the lever. I'll bet it was the float.

Nice id digger.

When I found mine I had no idea what it was, then after a few comments and guesses on this and a few other forums a guy that was a plumber nailed it...he had seen them before.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=196128&highlight=toilet,+brass

There are a few different manufactures and versions of these old toilet fill valves and yours looks like it performs the same function.
I believe all the old high tank toilet valves were made of brass...could be wrong but sounds logical.
Clean yours up a bit, underneath that layer of dirt I bet it will look as good as mine.
Tumblers do a great job of cleaning up that metal no matter what shape or configuration.

Back
Top Bottom