Attempted Good Deed Failure

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Got to S<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">outh</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Beach</st1:PlaceType> around 6:15am this morning and noticed 3 detectorists already there hunting with LED lights protruding from their foreheads looking like aliens from another planet! :shock: Decided to drive a couple of blocks down and hit another spot (around 5<SUP>th</SUP>). I had intended to do some water hunting but I noticed the surf was rough :( so I left the CZ-20 in the car and took the Discovery to work the dry sand.
<O:p</O:p

I was doing OK and towards the middle of my hunt I had a guy come over and ask me to help him find his 25th Anniversary Ring that he lost yesterday and his wife had given to him recently. In fact, they were on their 25<SUP>th</SUP> Anniversary vacation from <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada </st1:country-region>and they were leaving for a cruise in the afternoon. I asked him to describe the ring – yellow and white gold with 2 diamonds. I spent about 40 minutes working the sand in the general area that he told me that he was in yesterday and digging every good signal. (Coincidentally, I noticed another 2 detectorists - one to the left and one to the right of me each about 1/2 a block away!) He also thinks that he may have lost it in the surf yesterday when it was low tide and the surf was calmer. I really wanted to help him find it so I went back to my car to get my CZ-20. I tried doing the area in front of where they were but it was just too difficult to work it since I was getting pushed around by the surf. After about 30 minutes, I just knew it wasn’t going to happen for me. :no: I had been only able to get 3-4 good scoops up in all that time. He wanted to give me some money for helping to look for it but I refused. I just took down his contact info and I told him I would try again one day. He asked me about the hobby and I told him that most of us really try to help people when we can. He was also very surprised to learn that we have a metal detecting code. If any of you out there find it I have his contact info.
<O:p</O:p

When I was washing off at the beach I noticed that the strap to one of my Crocs broke off :(– must have happened in the rough surf. Got $2.60 in clad which wasn’t great but I did spend about half of my hunting time trying to help the couple which I was really fine about. When I got home I noticed that one of the pennies was a 1940 wheat! :spin: So that was a nice surprise that I didn’t realize at the time. One more good hunt and I'll hit $200 in clad for the year!

Attachments

• 8-17-08.web.jpg
    8-17-08.web.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 8-17-08 wheat.JPG
    8-17-08 wheat.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 8-17-08 wheat back.JPG
    8-17-08 wheat back.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 246
Good going Felix - the beach sure sounds great now. WTG on speaking for all of us to the guy, Steve in so az

Nice going Fee

I guess that puts to rest the quote "No good deed go'es unpunished" Well, good luck next weekend ...........Gil

thinks that he may have lost it in the surf yesterday when it was low tide and the surf was calmer.

It's gone... :no:

Someday it may pop up though, you never know.

The General Hobby Discussion area has the code of ethics. It was great that you attempted to help them find the ring. Too bad you weren't successful. I am sure they appreciated that you at least gave it an effort. Too bad you didn't find another one while looking.:D Maybe next time. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom