Root Slayer Nomad or Root Assassin

tag1260

Faced with a $40 budget I am looking for a shovel/spade. I see two that fit the bill but which would you recommend? The Root Slayer Nomad or the Root Assassin? Have I missed anything IN THAT PRICE RANGE?

Sorry but I know about the Lesche and such in the $70-$100 price range but they aren't in the cards for me at this time and I need to find something now.

Thanks

I personally like the White’s Digmaster as my primary digging tool. You can find it everywhere for around $40. It’s nice, well made, and the serrated edges are great for cutting through the ground. If I want to take amounts of soil out, I use a foldable camping shovel, but I haven’t needed it using the Digmaster.

Ended up going for a Root Slayer Mini. Now to just get a chance to try iy.
Thanks

Just picked up a Root Slayer Nomad from Amazon also. Came today.

I didn't use it yet but it seems to be very well made and the teeth on the sides of the blade look really sharp. It's not too heavy either.

First dig with it tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out.

Just had delivery of my Root Slayer Nomad. First thing I did was take a Sharpie (™️) indelible marker and put my name and phone number on the shaft, in a spot that will not see wear from using it. Wishing I had done this on the Lesche “T-handle” shovel I lost at a hunt and was never found. Lesson learned.

Hope to be able to use this before old man winter ends detecting season around here.

Jim

I have the Nomad and just LOVE that thing! That poor shovel has been abused, and just keeps coming back for more. Cuts pretty clean too. If I ever manage to break it, I will replace it with the same thing. You just can't beat it for the price they want.

Just had delivery of my Root Slayer Nomad. First thing I did was take a Sharpie (™️) indelible marker and put my name and phone number on the shaft, in a spot that will not see wear from using it. Wishing I had done this on the Lesche “T-handle” shovel I lost at a hunt and was never found. Lesson learned.

Hope to be able to use this before old man winter ends detecting season around here.

Jim

After losing a couple of items I decided to mark my stuff so I can not only identify them but also find them easier if dropped. So a bit of either a bright fluorescent paint or a couple of wraps with a brightly colored tape has done the job for me. Due to a vision issue that makes dark colored items like cell phone a challenge in shadows or dimly lit rooms, a piece of day glo duct tape on the back has solved my problem.

I’ve had a number of compliments on this from other hunters who liked the look and then followed suit.

After losing a couple of items I decided to mark my stuff so I can not only identify them but also find them easier if dropped. So a bit of either a bright fluorescent paint or a couple of wraps with a brightly colored tape has done the job for me. Due to a vision issue that makes dark colored items like cell phone a challenge in shadows or dimly lit rooms, a piece of day glo duct tape on the back has solved my problem.

I’ve had a number of compliments on this from other hunters who liked the look and then followed suit.

Thanks Chip... I did something similar with my Garrett Propointer, which is mostly black. I have a roll of bright yellow electrical tape. I wrapped two bands of it around the pinpointer making it easier to spot.

OK. Got a chance to use the Root Slayer Mini. Seems about perfect so far. Good length, sharp out of the package, seems strong. Cuts a very nice plug.

What shovel is pictured above in this thread? A pair of blue shovels with T-handles. The text only refers to the Root Assassin but those look like the Sampson shovelling with rubber footpads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used a floral shovel for a long time. It's like a regular shovel, but at 50% scale. You can get them in long handled and short handled versions with D handles or straight.

Before that I used an entrenching tool.

Either option costs around $20-25 or so.

Back
Top Bottom