Small spill suddenly slays silver slump

Foragist

Forum Supporter
No silver this year...until today. Got permission to hunt a close-to-home church yard today. Started slow. Few targets. More foil and can slaw than anything. A penny here, a dime there...then I got a weird but strong penny/dime kind of signal. About 4 inches down, I pulled out a wheat penny. OK, now I got something old; good sign I'm thinking. A quick repoke with the carrot says there's more down there...another wheat! Another check...still more...a third wheat! Hey, this is getting fun! Check the hole again...yet more pinpointing pleasure! This time my fingers pop out a shiny Washington quarter! What's this down here? A nickel too? It looks kinda shiny...a '43 war nickel! Nice little spill! No more there, so I patch the plug, stand up, and swing right over a solid dime signal about a foot away: '25 Mercury; five inches down. Then, I dug a very sketchy nickel signal, and got a Buffalo! I managed 3 more wheats and some other coinage...mostly clad pennies. Ran out of time. I'll have to scan the rest of the place another day.

Happy to break my slump; especially with a multi-silver spill!

Attachments

• DSCN6219.jpg
    DSCN6219.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN6221.jpg
    DSCN6221.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 468
Excellent way to snap the slump! Spills are definitely fun, and even better when it's old and has more than one silver :cool: Looks like that'll be a good site to revisit again. Thanks for the entertaining write up!

man, that's incredible.i wish I could find just one merc.
Thank you. Keep at it. Work the old lawns where you can. Mercs happen!

Dude! Congratulations on a wonderful find! Loved your post about the details!
Thanks Mr. Puppy. Haven't much to write-up about lately, until today.

Excellent way to snap the slump! Spills are definitely fun, and even better when it's old and has more than one silver :cool: Looks like that'll be a good site to revisit again. Thanks for the entertaining write up!
Yes, I like me a good spill! This was my first ever multi-silver plug! I will return there, of course. Also-thanks for the writeup compliment. I get long winded sometimes.

Great hunt! Still lookin' for my first Merc...
Thanks man. Like I said to Usa; "Mercs happen" Good luck!

Congrats on the nice haul!
Thank you Mr. Lord! I thoroughly enjoyed the "haul"

Congrats on the spill and the merc! :woot:

That makes 2 of us! :D

Thanks Mr. Dog! It was a happy dance moment...:sweet:
Hoping for shiny mercs for you guys...soon!

Thanks everyone! I went there again today, but got rained out after maybe an hour or so. Now that my slump is over, I'm getting silver...uh...daily now!(2 days in a row) Nicely worn 1918D dime today. Five more wheats for the collection too. I thought I found a half of an ugly ring, but it turned out to be a tiny pewter giraffe that was glued to the red glass gem I found in the same hole. The little tube vial is the smallest lipstick case I've ever seen; marked "DAWN PINK"

Attachments

• DSCN6225.jpg
    DSCN6225.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN6228.jpg
    DSCN6228.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN6229.jpg
    DSCN6229.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 332
Thanks you guys. I finished working the church yard last night, right after dark. No more silver, but I got five more wheats, a little more clad, an unknown bullet point, and what was left of a rusty pocket knife. I noticed the building had "1939" on it. Most of the wheats and 2 silvers were 1940s and 1930s.

Back
Top Bottom