$1.01 Found Today.

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Another day in the water at one of my favorite old spots. Used the Equinox this time. Boy, I dislike how quiet it is with headphones. Getting used to it a little but it really is a pain.

I will say one thing. I need 6 - 8" of gravel and muck to just dissapear here. I know there are very deep targets out there. In one spot I got a nice tone. Dug and dug and found the wheat cent. Dug further because there was a whisper of a high tone still and got the quarter. Then got the dime and the half. By the time I was done, I had a hole about 2' around and over a foot deep.

My only good silver finds were the 1929 half, 1942 quarter and a 47 and 54 rosey. Buffalo is a nice shape 1934. Wheat is a 45.

That ball of foil is not aluminum foil. Way too heavy. I thought is was a rock covered with foil but not. I am guessing it has a lot of lead in it. I thought that was strange. I think this is the first time I have ever found just the top of a Zippo with the rest not in sight.

Glad I now dive with a Garrett Carrot. Some of these small targets are very hard to locate after you get them out of the hole.

Thanks for the write up. I really like how those silver coins look when you recover them from the lake bottom. Seems more like real treasure! I'd love to have one of your water recovered halves. Would you consider letting me buy one or trade straight across for a normal circulated Walker of mine?

Nice saves. Too bad Minelab didn't give more audio volume. Probably some that you'll miss because of it while diving. I wonder if it would be possible or practical to do waterproof amplified headphones? Would probably need it's own power source though.

Nice saves. Too bad Minelab didn't give more audio volume. Probably some that you'll miss because of it while diving. I wonder if it would be possible or practical to do waterproof amplified headphones? Would probably need it's own power source though.

I am HOPING Grey Ghost will come out with something that is better. I know I am missing targets. Many are just too dang deep. What KILLS me about today is I got another 33 VDI high tone and I GAVE UP ON IT. It could have also been a half but I was digging in hard packed gravel with a dive knife.

No idea what is in store in the future. I know I will plunder this spot for a very long time. Since nobody else has the right to dive there, I kind of have it mostly to myself.

Thanks for the write up. I really like how those silver coins look when you recover them from the lake bottom. Seems more like real treasure! I'd love to have one of your water recovered halves. Would you consider letting me buy one or trade straight across for a normal circulated Walker of mine?

I can get you a nice crusty half. I gave almost all of them away. I do have this one and maybe a few more. Will look. I am getting 2 of my grandchildren for 10 days starting Thursday. One lives in North Salt Lake and the other in Duchesne. Either one close to you?

Love the Half!

That's a good day scuba! Anytime I walk away with silver I don't feel like I was skunked!

As usual, you are making some awesome recoveries from the "D".

Attachments

• detroit-tigers-d-old-english-with-tiger-patch.jpg
    detroit-tigers-d-old-english-with-tiger-patch.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 199
That’s a buck plus I wouldn’t mind finding! Congrats on the silver! I like those bath house tags too, pretty dang cool :thumbsup:

They were cool at one time. I have found over 450 of the critters. I will probably find over a thousand more before I am done here! I do kind of enjoy finding them. My machines hit them in really deep muck, sand and gravel. So I know coins are that deep and deeper way beyond the reach of my machines.

Can't go with my PI. I would lose my mind with all the nails from the docks in this place!

Scuba if I remember correctly you bought a sea scooter a while back, have you been using it to blow the muck away at all?

Not here! That would be hopeless. I have used it at one inland lake so far. Will be playing with it some more. Here I need a water pump on my boat that I can blast at all the muck. Might bring me some unwanted attention though.

A beach that could hold over 6 thousand people a day. You can imagine how big of area I am having to cover. With the scooter battery lasting only an hour, it would be very slow going

Nice finds! You seem to know michigan laws, If a lake has no public access, does that mean the whole lake is private and no detecting would be allowed? Or if a land owner gives you permission to use their property to access the water, is it legal to detect the water?

Nice finds! You seem to know michigan laws, If a lake has no public access, does that mean the whole lake is private and no detecting would be allowed? Or if a land owner gives you permission to use their property to access the water, is it legal to detect the water?

Yes I know Michigan law, up down and backwards. IF there is absolutely no public access to a lake and a land owner lets you detect. You are allowed to detect his property. That would be a pie shaped piece from the waterline out to the center. You can boat and swim on the whole lake, no problems. BUT if you touch the bottom of another land owners piece of pie you are trespassing.

If you are scuba diving and not touching the bottom you are also legal. If you touch the bottom and the land owner sees you and tells you not to, you have to touch it again and they have to see you before they can get you cited for trespassing.

Scuba,

You said that the bottom is hard packed gravel. So why do you think the coins have sunk so far down in this hard pack gravel and not stayed at a more reasonably depth? Do you see this at other lakes with gravel? I can understand with rivers and creeks that the movement of water can push the gravel around but in a lake I would not think it would have as much effect unless you are getting a huge wave action.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom