Advice on a scuba detector

SirFrancesDrake

Forum Supporter
I dive, a lot. And one of my favorite things to dive is wrecks. I searched and didnt find anything specific here but im looking for a detector to take wreck-diving. Probably 30-50’ depth max. I saw the AT is “waterproof,” but to 10ft? That wont help. What are my options? Id prefer not to spend $1400 on an excal - thats as expensive as a new diving kit! Thanks for any help. Lots of OLD wrecks here. Could be really interesting and i know zero about diving-detectors.

Edit: forgot to mention, salt water only, rocky/sandy bottom w excellent visibility.

Have a look at this, might be of interest:
https://www.deteknix.com/product/scuba-tector-xpointer/

I have one, use it snorkelling and works well. Depth isn't great but suits me. There are plenty of YouTube videos on it as well (Deteknix Scuba Tector / Quest Scuba Tector, it's the same machine, the company had to rename due to some legal issue or other)

I dive, a lot. And one of my favorite things to dive is wrecks. I searched and didnt find anything specific here but im looking for a detector to take wreck-diving. Probably 30-50’ depth max. I saw the AT is “waterproof,” but to 10ft? That wont help. What are my options? Id prefer not to spend $1400 on an excal - thats as expensive as a new diving kit! Thanks for any help. Lots of OLD wrecks here. Could be really interesting and i know zero about diving-detectors.

Edit: forgot to mention, salt water only, rocky/sandy bottom w excellent visibility.

If it is salt water you will want a multifrequency or a Pulse induction (PI) to handle the salt minerals. Here is an article I wrote on it. https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/blog/i-want-to-go-beach-metal-detecting-what-detector-do-i-need/

Feel free to call me if you have any questions! Hope it helps!

Thank you everyone. Great info and thanks for many PMs with info as well. Im digging into the options. A machine thats is good to 30-50ft is OK. But there must be some that you dont need to worry about at all at depth. Imagine detecting a 130’ deep wreck. Granted, you only get 15min or so 😂 maybe thats why people just use submarine drones!

Tesoro sand shark or Garrett sea hunter.......
Both are pulse machines that are dive rated and around $600

It really depends on the depth of the sand and how much iron you think is in the area. A PI machine that is rated for diving would be a great choice in salt water, if not much iron is around unless you are also looking for artifacts like cannon balls.

I use a Fisher CZ-21. Rated to 250' deep and is a great machine. It will not get the detecting depth as a PI machine but it will discriminate.

Back
Top Bottom