!!!??

Jimbo

So I have off today and decided to detect a park. I was next to a playground when I seen a car pull up and a guy and two kids got out. I got my stuff together and went and waited next to my truck until they left. While the kids were playing the guy went to his car and pulled out a metal detector and went exactly right where I left of and started digging. I feel like I was fishing and he sat next to me and threw his line over mine. I guess I'll go somewhere else.

why not go introduce yourself and cover more ground. I know sometimes I like to go and be alone but other times I just say hi to others, we show our finds and then walk in different directions.

Hey, you pulled your line out of the water :D

You missed a chance to meet a fellow detector. Next to say hi.

I agree. I do not stop just because someone is there. I go about my business. So far one person asked the park people about me and they said he is allowed to do it.

why leave

am sure the area was big enough for the both of you , meet , greet , share stories and make a new friend

Well what do you expect:roll: You quit metal detecting! Besides you dont own the park!

Im aware that I dont own the park. I'm not like that at all. I was simply moving away from where his kids were playing so he/they wouldnt feel uncomfortable. He did see me and gave somewhat of a snub "hi" when I told him "good morning". Maybe I was expecting more from my first run in with another detectorist.

Im aware that I dont own the park. I'm not like that at all. I was simply moving away from where his kids were playing so he/they wouldnt feel uncomfortable. He did see me and gave somewhat of a snub "hi" when I told him "good morning". Maybe I was expecting more from my first run in with another detectorist.

When you hear about "experienced hobbyists", be they mountain climbers, woodworkers or detectorists...THIS is exactly what is meant by that term.

Congratulations, you just collected a piece of experience which you can use to make a different decision the next 150 times you find yourself in the same situation. :lol:

Kids in parks comes with the territory. No reason to stop what you're doing on their account! :D

Hey Jimbo I understand what you were thinking, you were trying to be nice a give them their space, basically being courteous. But next time at a beach or a park just go ahead and say hi, turn your machine off and start a conversation. Like, you come here often to hunt, what kind of machine do you have. Theres so many people doing it now you just can't get a place to yourself. Plus you might meet a hunting buddy. Good job on being considerate.

I did the same thing today. When I got to the park, no one was there. After detecting for about a half hour, some kids came to play on the swings, so I turned off the detector and went to my car. No telling how people will feel about you being near their kids. I've only been doing this a month myself, so I don't have much experience yet. I didn't find anything anyway, but I did pick up some trash while doing it. That always makes me feel good.

why not go introduce yourself and cover more ground. I know sometimes I like to go and be alone but other times I just say hi to others, we show our finds and then walk in different directions.

I agree. Everything I see someone else detecting I stop and introduce myself.

Ha Ha! As a fisherman I can appreciate that. I would have grabbed my detector and started detecting once I saw him doing it... Who know you could've made a friend... I know that doesn't work on the first day of trout season though!

Not everybody is friendly.......no worries...forget about it..

Wait, I don't get it. How was the other guy "not friendly"? :roll:

If you leave for whatever reason, then that area is fair game for someone else to hunt. He wasn't being disrespectful, or unfriendly. He decided to hunt near his kids playing where you left. Next time don't leave. You wouldn't have made anyone feel uncomfortable. I think you get uncomfortable hunting around people and that's why you decided to pull up and go. Just stand your ground and enjoy hunting. Maybe walk over and introduce yourself next time and who knows, he may've been a member here. Good luck in future hunts!

Wait, I don't get it. How was the other guy "not friendly"? :roll:

If you leave for whatever reason, then that area is fair game for someone else to hunt. He wasn't being disrespectful, or unfriendly. He decided to hunt near his kids playing where you left. Next time don't leave. You wouldn't have made anyone feel uncomfortable. I think you get uncomfortable hunting around people and that's why you decided to pull up and go. Just stand your ground and enjoy hunting. Maybe walk over and introduce yourself next time and who knows, he may've been a member here. Good luck in future hunts!

:yes: Good Post!

yup, I don't leave. If kids show up or parents show up, I may move away a little bit to give them space, but once you leave, you loose all right to complain about it.

Well I just keep hunting myself. I dont hit the totlot area of my park as it is. Mostly due to the fact that is not where the good stuff is as I have discovered. I personally would have returned to detect when I saw him doing it.

Just go and talk to him, you might be able to give him an idea of where youve already been and he can tell you, two heads are better then one...im thinking if hes doing detecting hes probably in a forum or a club or someway to make it easier...you could have a nice conversation or at least know where you stand for competition.

I went o the park the other day that im the only one with permission and guess what?, holes all over the place, filled in but someone has seen me doing the park and so went and did it themselves....thankfully i had given iup on it and now they are covering area i already did, ive moved onto the woods and with the things ive found i know they havnt been there before.

Still ill strike up a conversation with any detectorist...you can get so many local tips like (dont check there i went there) or(if you check down there after holidays your more likely to find coins etc).

I know id tell them if they asked....not send them to a detected out area (that would be cruel and im not cruel) :roll:

Back
Top Bottom