First Gold Coin

desert hoag

Got my first gold ring Sunday after 40 yrs of hunting. It isn't big, but I got the monkey off my back. Found with a 14khz Kruzer with 7 x11 stock coil. Settings Gain 92, disc3, notch4, gb 81, pp 8 inches.

Attachments

• 20200112_153508.jpg
    20200112_153508.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,984
Sorry about reverse side picture having trouble loading from phone. I will get try again later. The coin says DOS Pesos 1946 on reverse side This is a Mexico $2 gold piece. You can goggle. HH

Attachments

• 20200112_153142.jpg
    20200112_153142.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,734
This is not right. One side is a Mexico coin 1946 the other is Queen Elisabeth II 1787 (she was queen from 1952).

The Mexico DOS PESO coin would have an Eagle on the other side.
https://www.jmbullion.com/2-peso-mexican-gold-coin-vy/

Isle of Man coin:
https://en.ucoin.net/catalog/?country=isle_of_man

Also, the surface quality is very poor and the color is a perfect match to the bezel.

Unfortunately, what I think you have is a fantasy coin produced by casting two different coin sides out of some base metal then plated.

Very nice find! Not sure it's a real peso though. Here's a picture of a real one for reference: 20200115_083115.jpg
might be real gold anyway. Congrats!

Quite frankly I don't believe the coin is genuine nor is it even gold. The engraving on the found "coin" doesn't match the engraving on the real coin that Jeff posted. Also the rendition of Elizabeth is kind of weird and I have yet to see an Isle of Man gold coin with that portrait. Isle of Man gold coins have cats, or St. Michael on them. Probably some kind of "fantasy" piece.

Quite frankly I don't believe the coin is genuine nor is it even gold. ...

Also I would add that even if a gold coin : That gold coins found mounted as jewelry (bezzled, etc...) I would put in the category of "jewelry". Not "coin". But ... that's just me.

This is not right. One side is a Mexico coin 1946 the other is Queen Elisabeth II 1787 (she was queen from 1952).

The Mexico DOS PESO coin would have an Eagle on the other side.
https://www.jmbullion.com/2-peso-mexican-gold-coin-vy/

Isle of Man coin:
https://en.ucoin.net/catalog/?country=isle_of_man

Also, the surface quality is very poor and the color is a perfect match to the bezel.

Unfortunately, what I think you have is a fantasy coin produced by casting two different coin sides out of some base metal then plated.

^ Not a real coin..........

How about "Coin jewelry" ? :?:

Huh ? Sure, it's "coin jewelry". Which is jewelry, not a coin (for purposes of classifying type-finds).

For example: I know a guy who's found 3 gold coins mounted @ jewelry. Eg.: Krugerand in bezzle/necklace, etc... And he's also found 2 gold coins. If you were to ask him "How many gold coins have you found ?", he would answer: "3 in jewelry, and 2 as numismatic coin-losses". He would not say "5".

If gold coins mounted in jewelry count as coins (for purposes of md'ing classifications), then I'm at 16 gold coins, not 15. Because I found a Dos pesos in an earing mount before .

The difference is (for purposes of md'ing strategy) is that: Jewelry could have been lost in a sand box yesterday. But to find a gold coin, in the context of time-period circulation, is quite a different function, strategy, history, etc....

Huh ? Sure, it's "coin jewelry". Which is jewelry, not a coin (for purposes of classifying type-finds).

For example: I know a guy who's found 3 gold coins mounted @ jewelry. Eg.: Krugerand in bezzle/necklace, etc... And he's also found 2 gold coins. If you were to ask him "How many gold coins have you found ?", he would answer: "3 in jewelry, and 2 as numismatic coin-losses". He would not say "5".

If gold coins mounted in jewelry count as coins (for purposes of md'ing classifications), then I'm at 16 gold coins, not 15. Because I found a Dos pesos in an earing mount before .

The difference is (for purposes of md'ing strategy) is that: Jewelry could have been lost in a sand box yesterday. But to find a gold coin, in the context of time-period circulation, is quite a different function, strategy, history, etc....
Tom...….my "coin jewelry" response was done "tongue-in-cheek". It's all semantics and who really cares?

Fake Gold Coin is 18k gold!

I took my gold coin to my Jeweler today and the coin tested 18k and the benzel tested 10k. This a good find, but not what I had hoped for Oh well back to the grind.HH

I took my gold coin to my Jeweler today and the coin tested 18k and the benzel tested 10k. This a good find, but not what I had hoped for Oh well back to the grind.HH

Nice. That is better than I expected.
Also guessing the Jeweler did determine that they are Solid 18k & 10k and not plated.

Still seems odd to me because a genuine Mexican 2 Peso gold coin is 90% pure gold NOT 18K which is 75% pure gold. Also how can you have an Isle of Man on one side and a Mexican coin on the reverse of it unless there are two coins?
I'm still a 100% doubter about this piece......

As said here in above posts:
A fantasy item cast from two different coins hence NOT 90% or any other coin gold percentage.
What I am surprised at is they have any amount of gold in them at all.

Back
Top Bottom