Concentric coils ONLY for City Yards

Timecop67

When hunting private yards digging smaller holes or plugs is better and the quicker you can pull finds also better. I've been detecting since the early 80s and one thing that I've noticed that is lacking on a lot of the newer detectors is good pinpointing systems and more reliance on the handheld probes. DD coils are less accurate than concentric coils for pinpointing. I've been using the XP Orx machine with a 9 inch HF coil but find I dig far larger holes than I did with my ancient Teknetics 8500 with a button pinpointer & (audio detuning) and concentric front. I realize the benefits of DD for field use but the drawbacks of DD outweigh the advantages for city detecting. Since XP does not produce a Concentric I may consider another machine like the older Tesoro Vacquero for more accuracy. Too bad Tesoro is now out of business.

Thanks for the advice but you are incorrect, there is no drawback for using DD coils, even in nice lawns.
For me, anyway.
I use both DD coils and concentric coils and I have used them in several detectors and a couple of different brands...including a Vaquero.
Large DD coils and small sniper coils where I generally use the very accurate wiggle and pull back method for locating my targets, sometimes I hit the pinpoint button also just to be sure but not often unless the target is very deep.
I also use both sniper and larger concentric coils.
There is no appreciable difference in the size of the holes I dig that I can tell...they are all pretty small.

If you are digging far larger holes with DD's than concentric coils, as you say, something else is going on like maybe a bad coil...or something.

.... but you are incorrect, there is no drawback for using DD coils, ....

Having come from "old school" myself, I know what time-cop 67 is talking about : Yes, the yesteryear machines could pinpoint to a T, and we never had pinpointer probes back in those days. Didn't need them.

But I also know what you are saying : That with experience, you can get better at visually pinpointing EVEN with DD coils. But don't fool yourself for a minute that they hold a candle to yester-year machine's concentric ability. They don't .

I too have gotten fairly good at visual "x-marking-the-spot" with my Exp. II with the DD coil. HOWEVER, that doesn't change the fact that the wimpy 1970s and early 80's machines were much-more-spot on and easier for pinpointing. Yes they had scores of other drawbacks, but pinpointing wasn't one of them.

I'd also like to add that the Teknetics 8000-9000 coin computer machines were advanced for their day not wimpy by any means.....George Payne designed machines & excelled in every way. Found 6 inch Barber dimes, one seated all at that level, 10 inch deep walking liberty half dollars. I hunted in full tones/low discrimination and if I got a high pitched signal I got almost guarantee it was silver....constantly getting fooled by the XP Orx as it lets in a lot of bottlecaps and some iron to sound off as silver.....not to mention Orx loves aluminum as does the Deus.

The only thing todays machines have over my old Teknetics is 9-10 inch dimes on the Deus, frequency changes to a higher level, separation and or adjustments of the reactivity. But if they were to add todays electronics on that old Tek platform with a few tweaks I would go back to that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that the Teknetics 8000-9000 coin computer machines were advanced for their day not wimpy by any means.....George Payne designed machines & excelled in every way. Found 6 inch Barber dimes, one seated all at that level, 10 inch deep walking liberty half dollars. I hunted in full tones/low discrimination and if I got a high pitched signal I got almost guarantee it was silver....constantly getting fooled by the XP Orx as it lets in a lot of bottlecaps and some iron to sound off as silver.....not to mention Orx loves aluminum as does the Deus.

The only thing todays machines have over my old Teknetics is 9-10 inch dimes on the Deus, frequency changes to a higher level, separation and or adjustments of the reactivity.
But if they were to add todays electronics on that old Tek platform with a few tweaks I go back to that in a heartbeat.

Aaaahhh, a trip down memory lane :/ Yes, those wise-few people that got those early Teknetics (especially the Mark 1, when it came out in 85 or 86-ish) were WAY AHEAD of their time.

When Payne left the metal detecting industry.... advancements left with him. First Texas/ El Paso the company that bought the patents are now more cheaply made compared to the original machines out of Oregon. Some of the design patents probably went into the F70 and clones which are good but could have been a lot better had George stayed on.

I'd ....a lot of bottlecaps and some iron to sound off as silver.....

Most of the time I too prefer using a concentric coil. Not only are they great at pinpointing but they help with the above situation with more accurate id's. I wouldn't say concentric coils only for hunting yards though.

Most of the time I too prefer using a concentric coil. Not only are they great at pinpointing but they help with the above situation with more accurate id's. I wouldn't say concentric coils only for hunting yards though.

I hear the XP 9x5 HF elliptical isn't too bad but still unless your hunting in highly mineralized areas I will opt for concentric for better pinpointing and ID. The Deus was designed around hunting those wide open field areas like they have outside of London. I was there a couple of years ago and would have loved putting a coil to dirt there.

I’m with you on this. My wife’s concentric detector is easier to PP with. I wouldn’t say it’s any more accurate but it takes me a little more time to find the hottest spot with my DD coil. I ordered a super sniper coil for my ACE 400 though and am really looking forward to that. So many of the areas around here have a lot of trash.

I have an old Groundhog.

I also have a 10” thin brass rod with a handle.

I can often touch the target with it. Put a black dot on the coil as an assist.

No way with my AT Pro.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom