Roscrea Blues Buckle, is this 1780's?

jbrow

Elite Member
is this 1780's? A lady that gave me permission to Hunt her 1845 home showed me this and wondered what kind of buckle this was? Her late husband found it at their house.

Thank you !

Attachments

• 20180514_161818-1-1.jpg
    20180514_161818-1-1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 20180514_161826-1.jpg
    20180514_161826-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
I hope it’s real! They call ‘em a “cross belt plate” from what I see online.

Irish...the Lyre gave that away I think. (Harp for the rest of the world)

Roscrea Blues were Irish Volunteer Corp formed in the late 1770's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_Volunteer_corps

Oh!!

That's so cool! :yes: :yes:

I hope it’s real! They call ‘em a “cross belt plate” from what I see online.

Looks authentic to me!

Irish...the Lyre gave that away I think. (Harp for the rest of the world)

Now THAT is a killer find, her husband did well in finding that beauty!

Thank you guys! I also emailed someone in ireland and got a nice reply !

I would first like to congratulate you on finding this item, and as a fellow metal detectorist it is an item I would love to find. The belt plate dates between 1780 and 1810 and was issued to the Roscrea Blues. They where a Militia or Volunteer unit from Roscrea in the middle of Ireland, but they would have been stationed far afield. This plate looks to be other ranks, although it could have been a Gilt officers version which has lost its gilt. Value here in Ireland is approx. £500 Sterling which is approx. $675 Us. Dollars.

Now you need to do the research to figure out why it was found in an area that wasn't even settled until the mid 1830's.

Now you need to do the research to figure out why it was found in an area that wasn't even settled until the mid 1830's.

From what I've read, the french were in this area as early as 1634, but I guess it wasn't settled until about 1780.. My imagination runs wild with this now...My best guess right now is the possibility of the fact that it was worn by someone during the battle of 1812, as this homestead is in the direct vicinity of General Hulls trace route. And I found an 1807 half cent about .25 miles from here... And to top it off, it looks like maybe the initials on it are J and R... maybe in the muster roll , I have found a J Ruland that is in the roster in this area. Ruland is an Irish name too I think... Crazy MYSTERY !

You must be down near Monroe. The battle of Erie was the closest the war of 1812 got to here.

FWIW, I found a USI 6th Reg. officer's coat button from the war of 1812 in a field across the street from my house.

You must be down near Monroe. The battle of Erie was the closest the war of 1812 got to here.

FWIW, I found a USI 6th Reg. officer's coat button from the war of 1812 in a field across the street from my house.
Yep, born raised., and still here.... nice find on the 6th regiment button!

You also assume that someone from that regiment wore it there. Could have been an Indian 'prize' too.

You also assume that someone from that regiment wore it there. Could have been an Indian 'prize' too.

Could be, could be any scenario... just like the choose your own adventure books i used to read as a kid.. it might even just be an Irish immigrants keepsake from a family member.... it's a mystery, and my imagination envisions many scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom