Think I found my aptX Low Latency Ear Buds...

pacer

Just ordered Aukey's EP-B80 Bluetooth Ear Buds. They're Bluetooth 5, codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX LL, water resistance and over the ear "ear hooks". Package Contents: AUKEY EP-EP-B80 Wireless Earbuds, 3 Pairs of Foam and 3 Pairs of Silicone Ear-Tips (S/M/L), USB-A to C Cable, Carrying Pouch, User Manual. Was able to find a source that offered one for $39.95 with free shipping. It was what was called a “Box opened, but never used" sale item. Here is a link for them: https://www.aukey.com/products/hybrid-dual-driver-bluetooth-earbuds-key-series-b80

Attachments

• 20190328183158-ep_b80_01_grey.jpg
    20190328183158-ep_b80_01_grey.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,844
Just ordered Aukey's EP-B80 Bluetooth Ear Buds. They're Bluetooth 5, codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX LL, water resistance and over the ear "ear hooks". Package Contents: AUKEY EP-EP-B80 Wireless Earbuds, 3 Pairs of Foam and 3 Pairs of Silicone Ear-Tips (S/M/L), USB-A to C Cable, Carrying Pouch, User Manual. Was able to find a source that offered one for $39.95 with free shipping. It was what was called a “Box opened, but never used" sale item. Here is a link for them: https://www.aukey.com/products/hybrid-dual-driver-bluetooth-earbuds-key-series-b80

Interesting - thanks for posting these, pacer! I prefer the type with ear hangers, too. The earbuds without them just won’t stay in my ears regardless of the size tip I use.

Have you actually used these yet? I read through a bunch of the reviews on Amazon and they are mostly very good, but a few users mention a problem with “white noise” in the background, mostly noticed when listening to things like podcasts where the broadcast isn’t as continuous as music. I’m worried that any “white noise” might interfere with the clarity of deep, faint signals from a metal detector - almost like a threshold set too high. Have you noticed any “white noise” while using yours?

Interesting - thanks for posting these, pacer! I prefer the type with ear hangers, too. The earbuds without them just won’t stay in my ears regardless of the size tip I use.

Have you actually used these yet? I read through a bunch of the reviews on Amazon and they are mostly very good, but a few users mention a problem with “white noise” in the background, mostly noticed when listening to things like podcasts where the broadcast isn’t as continuous as music. I’m worried that any “white noise” might interfere with the clarity of deep, faint signals from a metal detector - almost like a threshold set too high. Have you noticed any “white noise” while using yours?

Tango in another post you mentioned you use Clari Air ear buds with your equinox. I have the Nox 800 and just opened the Clari ear buds and tried to pair but it will not. I followed the directions but no luck. Did you have much of a problem pairing yours. Any tricks or hints how to do it? Charlie

Tango in another post you mentioned you use Clari Air ear buds with your equinox. I have the Nox 800 and just opened the Clari ear buds and tried to pair but it will not. I followed the directions but no luck. Did you have much of a problem pairing yours. Any tricks or hints how to do it? Charlie

Sorry, didn’t see this right away, Charlie...I’ll send a PM (I don’t want to hi-jack this thread away from the OP’s topic of the Aukey earbuds).

No, I just ordered them and expect delivery next Tuesday, the 6th. I also read the reviews about the "white noise". There is concern, hopefully the "white noise" is more of a isolated matter. Once I receive them, I will try them out and follow up with a post here on the forum. I don't think I would have purchased them if it were not for the fact I got them for $39.95 with free shipping.

Woo Hoo! My Aukey EP-B80 Bluetooth Low Latency Ear Buds arrived early. First thing I noticed after opening the mailing envelope was the quality of the packaging, very nice indeed. It came with everything I mentioned in my original post. It took a little over one hour to completely charge the ear buds. It paired flawlessly and on the first attempt to my Nox 800. And it paired as I hoped it would as the LCD Screen indicated "aptX™ Low Latency headphones connected. As far as any white noise, there was none that I could detect. I'm going out tomorrow and see how it goes. I will post here on the forum with my final thoughts.

Interested to hear how it goes. I was looking into a new set myself.

Woo Hoo! My Aukey EP-B80 Bluetooth Low Latency Ear Buds arrived early. First thing I noticed after opening the mailing envelope was the quality of the packaging, very nice indeed. It came with everything I mentioned in my original post. It took a little over one hour to completely charge the ear buds. It paired flawlessly and on the first attempt to my Nox 800. And it paired as I hoped it would as the LCD Screen indicated "aptX™ Low Latency headphones connected. As far as any white noise, there was none that I could detect. I'm going out tomorrow and see how it goes. I will post here on the forum with my final thoughts.

Sounds very promising! Thanks for keeping the updates coming - I’m looking forward to hearing how they work for you in the field. I hope they continue to work well for you! If you continue to have a good experience with yours, I’ll probably give them a shot if I can find a good deal.

Here's my update on my Aukey EP-B80 Ear Buds. Went detecting yesterday to a local park in Reno and spent a little over 3 hours doing so. Booted-up my Nox 800 and my EP-B80s paired flawlessly with a push of one button on the ear buds. Perfect thus far. Like I indicated everything went as I had hoped. They worked beautifully!!! The sound was crisp and clear and the audio matched what the LCD was telling me. No white noise whatsoever! Found 27 coins and a "channel diamond ring" stamped "Silver 925". The ring had 19 rectangular diamonds and 36 smaller round diamonds for a total of 55 small diamonds. Would I recommend these ear buds, absolutely! In fact, I will be on the look out for another one for myself.

Attachments

• 20190805_102346.jpg
    20190805_102346.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,704
  • ring 2.jpg
    ring 2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,725
I might add. Even if I couldn't get a good deal, I feel they are worth the full price. They provide me with every thing I was looking for. Had to have the over the ear hangers. Never had much luck with the buds that are pushed in as they always seem to fall out. Hangers for me, provide stability and comfort. The audio is crisp and clear and no white noise. Charge time is relatively quick. However, I can't speak to the battery life as I have only used them once and then, only for a little over three hours. They pair flawlessly with a push of a button on the buds and in aptX Low Latency. Every thing on my list is checked off. Just placed my order for a second set.

I might add. Even if I couldn't get a good deal, I feel they are worth the full price. They provide me with every thing I was looking for. Had to have the over the ear hangers. Never had much luck with the buds that are pushed in as they always seem to fall out. Hangers for me, provide stability and comfort. The audio is crisp and clear and no white noise. Charge time is relatively quick. However, I can't speak to the battery life as I have only used them once and then, only for a little over three hours. They pair flawlessly with a push of a button on the buds and in aptX Low Latency. Every thing on my list is checked off. Just placed my order for a second set.

Just curious, but why do you need them to be aptX Low Latency??? I thought you only needed that for the bluetooth transmitter as that is where the lag occurs?

Regards Peter

Just curious, but why do you need them to be aptX Low Latency??? I thought you only needed that for the bluetooth transmitter as that is where the lag occurs?

Regards Peter

Latency is the amount of time a message takes to traverse a system.

In a computer network, it is an expression of how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another. It is sometimes measured as the time required for a packet to be returned to its sender.

Latency depends on the speed of the transmission medium (e.g., copper wire, optical fiber or radio waves) and the delays in the transmission by devices along the way (e.g., routers and modems). A low latency indicates a high network efficiency.

Latency and throughput are the two most fundamental measures of network performance. They are closely related, but whereas latency measures the amount of time between the start of an action and its completion, throughput is the total number of such actions that occur in a given amount of time.

Sending data in large packets has a higher throughput than sending the same data in small packets both because of the smaller number of packet headers and because of reduced startup and queuing latency. If the data is streamed (i.e., sent in a continuous flow), propagation latency has little effect on throughput, but if the system waits for an acknowledgment after each packet before sending the next, the resulting high propagation latency will greatly reduce throughput.

Latency is also an important consideration with regard to other aspects of computers, particularly where real time (i.e., nearly instantaneous) response is required. For example, in some Internet games, a high latency (also called lag) can add to the difficulty of determining which player performed an action first (such as shooting an opponent or answering a question). In playing computer-based musical instruments, latencies greater than 100 milliseconds make it difficult for players to get the nearly instantaneous feedback that they require.

Latency is the amount of time a message takes to traverse a system.

In a computer network, it is an expression of how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another. It is sometimes measured as the time required for a packet to be returned to its sender.

Latency depends on the speed of the transmission medium (e.g., copper wire, optical fiber or radio waves) and the delays in the transmission by devices along the way (e.g., routers and modems). A low latency indicates a high network efficiency.

Latency and throughput are the two most fundamental measures of network performance. They are closely related, but whereas latency measures the amount of time between the start of an action and its completion, throughput is the total number of such actions that occur in a given amount of time.

Sending data in large packets has a higher throughput than sending the same data in small packets both because of the smaller number of packet headers and because of reduced startup and queuing latency. If the data is streamed (i.e., sent in a continuous flow), propagation latency has little effect on throughput, but if the system waits for an acknowledgment after each packet before sending the next, the resulting high propagation latency will greatly reduce throughput.

Latency is also an important consideration with regard to other aspects of computers, particularly where real time (i.e., nearly instantaneous) response is required. For example, in some Internet games, a high latency (also called lag) can add to the difficulty of determining which player performed an action first (such as shooting an opponent or answering a question). In playing computer-based musical instruments, latencies greater than 100 milliseconds make it difficult for players to get the nearly instantaneous feedback that they require.

I feel I should respond, but I have no idea how all relates to my original question? :?::?:

Regards Peter

I’m not a Bluetooth expert, so what I’m about to write is probably a drastic over-simplification, but both ends need to be capable of AptX Low Latency in order to minimize the signal delay. Anytime a signal is transmitted and received wirelessly, lag is introduced. Low Latency attempts to minimize the lag to a point that our brains can’t detect it. In the case of the Equinox, the control box is capable of sending a low latency signal, but the headphones you use must have the technological capability to interpret the AptX proprietary protocol for the signal to remain lag free. In other words, if your headphones aren’t AptX LL compatible, you’ll still have lag.

A rough equivalent example might be watching a DVD movie at home...if you have a full home theater surround sound system, you can enjoy a completely different experience than someone who is using a TV with a mono speaker. The DVD audio still works and can be heard on the basic TV, but it can’t take full advantage of the stereo and surround sound codecs.

With the Equinox (or any metal detector set up to use Bluetooth), using Bluetooth with a non-AptX LL headset introduces enough delay that the signal reaches your ear noticeably later than when the coil actually passed over the target...literally as if Low Latency didn’t exist, because as far as the components are concerned, it doesn’t.

I am interested in finding some good-sounding earbuds for the Equinox as well, so I'm following this thread with interest...

Thanks, OP, for starting the discussion.

Steve

I’m not a Bluetooth expert, so what I’m about to write is probably a drastic over-simplification, but both ends need to be capable of AptX Low Latency in order to minimize the signal delay. Anytime a signal is transmitted and received wirelessly, lag is introduced. Low Latency attempts to minimize the lag to a point that our brains can’t detect it. In the case of the Equinox, the control box is capable of sending a low latency signal, but the headphones you use must have the technological capability to interpret the AptX proprietary protocol for the signal to remain lag free. In other words, if your headphones aren’t AptX LL compatible, you’ll still have lag..

Thanks that makes more sense...I am generally very happy with the headphones I am using, (August EP 650) but there are times in the summer when ear buds would definitely be more comfortable....

Just a quick update. My second set has arrived. My plan was and still is to carry both sets of earbuds with me while detecting and if and when the battery on one set is depleted, I would pair the other set. Unfortunately and not really a big deal, can't just pair the backup set. I will have to do a factory reset on my Nox before the backup set will pair. Not a big problem for me as I mostly detect utilizing the factory presets. However, when I reach a point when I will be utilizing custom programs, it will be a little more time consuming. Still not a big issue for me. When out detecting for most of the day, taking a 15 minute beak to reset the Nox and pair a set of earbuds is fine with me as I take breaks throughout the day anyway.

Just a quick update. My second set has arrived. My plan was and still is to carry both sets of earbuds with me while detecting and if and when the battery on one set is depleted, I would pair the other set. Unfortunately and not really a big deal, can't just pair the backup set. I will have to do a factory reset on my Nox before the backup set will pair. Not a big problem for me as I mostly detect utilizing the factory presets. However, when I reach a point when I will be utilizing custom programs, it will be a little more time consuming. Still not a big issue for me. When out detecting for most of the day, taking a 15 minute beak to reset the Nox and pair a set of earbuds is fine with me as I take breaks throughout the day anyway.

Sounds a bit of a pain but at least hopefully you won't need to do it very often.

Currently I am using a Taotronices Blue tooth transmitter (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency) on my Racer 2 to give me a a wireless function to my August EP650 headphones ...For a budget set up it works very well and has no noticeable lag...

I've been looking for a set of LL earbuds here in the UK, but the only already mentioned are fairly expensive and more than I want to spend for the use I will get...Therefore I think I am going try a Taotronics low latency Bluetooth reciever coupled with a set of wired ear buds (which I already own) and see how I get on...

Back
Top Bottom