Meteorite searching in Maryland, PA, WV

young gun

Before the beginning of the tv series meteorite men on the science channel I have been interested in finding and recovering meteorites. The only problem that I faced is that i don't live in a desert or on a giant sheet of ice. After some research I learned more that meteorites fall randomly all over the earth. I can identify one if I saw it and run some field tests to determine if it is a meteorite or not. There are 4 known falls/finds in Maryland and 9 in Pennsylvania alone which is more area than what I can possibly cover. I have multiple locations but lack the permission from landownersto do some actual field searches within the defined search zones. I also have a few field samples, if anyone else on here would be even remotly interested in making a search for meteorites in the northeastern states.

I am seeking collaboration from people with a metal detector to recover over 24lbs of the Shrewsbury iron that is still unaccounted for from the main mass.
good luck hunting all!

I have taken time off on Saturday October 2nd to do some searching with a friend of mine. I will meet anyone interested at the William H. Kain gravel parking near lake Redman at 10:00am. the area being covered will include a triangular shape near Hess Farm road, Spartan road, and Ironstone hill road north of Shrewsbury PA. Please bring appropriate footwear as we will probably be doing alot of walking/door to door knocking. Dress accordingly for the weather.
All friendly MD's welcome, Thanks all!

Good luck in your hunt. Someday I hope to do some meteorite hunting. I have always been fascinated about space and never miss a meter shower. I remember many years ago walking behind my moms house as I rounded the corner I was startled at what I saw. There was a very strong meteor shower and it looked like they were raining down at hundreds per minute. It was awesome and I hope to get to see something like that again someday.

Usually they contain some amount of iron and nickel composition so that they will stick to a strong magnet. Secondly there are distinguishing physical features such as a fusion crust or atmospheric markings on the surface that sets it apart from most metal ores, magnetite, hematite or slag. Here is a useful site to conduct some field tests.

http://www.meteorites.com.au/found.html

I also have some field specimens to make comparrisions and tune/dial in your MD for what it should sound like.

re: PA meteorites

Are there any known meteorite finds or falls in/around northeast PA???

Back
Top Bottom