Minelab Safari or Garrett AT Pro ! HELP>>>

Dishtech43

Ok guys..I had a Whites DFX..and upgraded to a Minelab Safari.. Im having tons of problems trying to understand the ID tones on this MD..Im having second thoughts..to maybe I should have got the Garrett AT PRO !! It seams easier to use..My daughter has an Ace 250 with larger coil.and works great.But will I be down Grading If I trade it back in at Kellco`s and get the Garrett AT Pro ?? I havent had an AT Pro..but see alot of videos,and seem to find good items.and simple to see work.I really like there ID tones alot. Any thought please..If someone has a Minelab Safari,and thinks I should just keep it...please message me with a phone # to where you can try and explain to me what it wrong..LOL thanks in Advance....Dave:no:

Tried the Safari also. I'd say a T2 or F75. Both have a learning curve but are great detectors.

AT Pro has a learning curve too...

But I have enjoyed every minute. Lots of videos on Garrett site and on YouTube. My only detector so far so can't comment on other machines.

Hopefully you get some help with your present machine.
Good luck on your decision!

I'd suggest you give the Safari a chance. Don't worry about the VDI or icons, just listen to the tones. The flutey tones take some getting used to but once you do, you will understand it. It's a good, deep, easy to use machine. The VDI's are slow to respond but the tones aren't too bad in fast.
But it's a hobby and you have to enjoy it, if you need to get rid of it and go to a different machine, then do it and don't look back, but like I said, first give it a chance.

Thanks All...

I guess Im just used too the WHites tones.. Whites is all I ever had ..Didnt know switching brands wood be so different..Safari seems to be really built good..There just aint enough videos out there too show them in action.I also bought the Andy Safari Bible...just getting started reading it..Just got a lot of nice places to hunt soon..and dont want to miss anything.ha..Right now Im having my daughter follow being me with her Ace 250..because I cant tell one sound from another on the Safari...:?:

Learning a new detector isn't easy, the at-pro might be easier than the minelab but it has its learning curve as well. My advise is as follows, if they take the detector back for a full refund and you decide to go at-pro than do it, if they don't give you a full refund and you end up loosing money anyway than try to learn the safari. I know minelab makes good detectors. Just remember that changing detector won't avoid learning it. The at-pro looks easy but you will need to learn it as well.

Ok guys....will work on it more! haa Thanks for all your input..Just feel really Dumb right now..never had so much trouble..thanks:roll:
No need to feel anything other than momentarily confused. Just go back to basics. Swing slow, and try to isolate each target hit. If it sounds like a kaliopie on meth, chances are you're going too fast.

It took me a LONG time to get to know my minelab but now i can tell you what im about to dig. Havent figured out what the date will be yet. LOL Stick with it. Very deep machines

put a 100 hrs on the minelab its a awesome machine from what i read. But you could have gotten a lil easyer detector to learn like the F75 SE. Its a start up and go detector and can crank it up as you learn. Have about 25 hrs on mine and still have a long ways to go. Im sure im passing up targets but it will all work out. Each time out my goods to trash ratio is getten better. After 500 or 1000 hrs i know for a fact this machine is going to fill my pockets up with goods and same can happen with you on the minelab. Theres about a weeks worth of tips to read at findmall.com on the minelab or any machine.

Will Keep Safari..

Ill just have too get out and try it more and more..and just listen to it talk too me,and forget how the White`s sound..ha...Thats what I needed to know from people who had them..There is not much MDers around here.and no one too talk to about it..so This worked out.Thanks again.......:yes:

Ill just have too get out and try it more and more..and just listen to it talk too me,and forget how the White`s sound..ha...Thats what I needed to know from people who had them..There is not much MDers around here.and no one too talk to about it..so This worked out.Thanks again.......:yes:

Yea findmall.com. Go there has tons of users talking about your machine. Took me 2 weeks to read all the info about my new F75 there.

Your story sounds so familiar. I bought an Explorer SE some years back after having been a White's man for the prior 20 years. The sounds were overwhelming and even though I felt I had given it time, about a season, we never clicked. I put it up for trade for a DFX and made a deal. A few weeks before the actual trade I started to click with the SE because I started slowing down like I needed. I thought I had been going slow enough but after being used to the speed of a White's It was not. Slowing down a bit more made all the difference. All those tones(sounded like a flute) started to make sense and the goodies started showing up. The day the guy came to make the trade I was actually hoping he wouldn't show up.

I used the DFX for 4 years and did fine but my finds from the city park virtually stopped. I started to wonder is a Minelab might be able to get those deep coins I knew where there. I bought an E-Trac and had the same tone issues I had with the SE but was determined to give it the best shot I could to learn. Again slowing down made the difference and I started really pulling a lot of old coins from deep in that park. Hundreds of old coins from the same spot my other detector gave nothing.

I love my AT Pro and honestly feel people don't give it the score it deserves in depth. It pulls coins from the city park when no other than my E-Trac/CTX 3030 could. I have a E-Trac I use mainly for the city park because while the AT Pro is deep, the E-Trac is deeper.

You are already getting great advice but if you decide to trade it in, might want to talk to more than one of the sponsor businesses who have reputations for listening to what customers want to find, what detector features they like or dislike, and making good recommendations based on what you have already tried.
You will benefit from their experience, plus finding a dealer that speaks your language can be huge.

You are already getting great advice but if you decide to trade it in, might want to talk to more than one of the sponsor businesses who have reputations for listening to what customers want to find, what detector features they like or dislike, and making good recommendations based on what you have already tried.
You will benefit from their experience, plus finding a dealer that speaks your language can be huge.

well said

Safari mistake. I did the same thing as you did. Could not stand all the noise the extra weight. Traded it in Now running the T2SE. Very easy to use. The omega 8000 is a fantastic coin machine as well and get very good depth on both detectors.

Back
Top Bottom