Stream gold hunting

highvesman

Hello, currenlty I purchased a Bounty hunter discovery 3300(still waiting for it to come in the mail.) but i was wondering if they are any good for looking for gold in streams. There have been reports with lots of gold in the stream next to my cabin.

Gold machines need to be able to handle highly mineralized areas. Which would be the kind of area gold would be found. Stream beds hold lots of trash and have deep overburden. In streams beds gold settles in the low spots, inside bends, where the water slows and or when the stream opens up wider, as well as others spots. A good time to hunt for gold in a stream bed is after a high water event (flood) that has exposed the bedrock. Nuggets get trapped in the cracks in the exposed bedrock. People use dredges to get gold out of streams that have deep overburden.

BH?s aren?t known for their knack at finding gold. IMHO, BH does not make a good gold machine but any machine will find gold. The problems becomes, will the machine work where natural gold is most likely to be found.

But you know what they always say, "gold is where you find it".

Lots of reports of gold in the stream next to your house :?: I would stop listening to reports and actually look. You don't need a metal detector for that. Just get a $10 gold pan or pan out of your kitchen and take a look.

Gold panning is fun ;)

Attachments

• Colorado.JPG
    Colorado.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 950
well its next to my cabin which is a 3 hour drive from my house, we are going up this weekend, there is already a gold pan up there but i am really looking for nuggets.

Not neccessarily will any detector find gold in the form of 24 K nuggets. If you look , gold hunting /nugget detectors are of a higher frequency than that of coin jewelry hunting detectors. This is to make the detector better able to find small nuggets. Gold is a tough metal to find generally speaking when compared to copper or silver. In my opinion your detector may be able to find larger nuggets but not small ones. If the ground is high in iron minerals this detector will false a lot. You may however be ablr to use to find areas that contain black sand which traps gold in it. :grin:

Any discrimination used in conjunction with trying to find gold nuggets is not a good thing to do. The way you suggest setting the disc is not too bad but not good either.

I guess there isn't really much more to ask so i will have to see this weekend what happens.

You need to find out if that placer actually has nuggets. There may be plenty of gold there but if it is too fine for detecting, you would be wasting your time. Talk to some other miners who know the area, or a mining engineer in the area, or like Okie said, start panning.

Good luck and send some pics of your finds.

Black sand is an indicator that gold may be near. The reason is, is because black sand is heavy, and so is gold. Just imagine when high water runs in a stream or river the bottom actually suspends. This causes the stream bed/river bottom to classify itself by weight (just like panning), thus the black sand theory. That?s one of the ways to think in order to find gold (what will the heavy martial do in that situation).

This is no secrete, all you have to do is check out a few books from the library, like how to find gold.

From what I understand even the best VLF machine won?t handle black sands, it?s almost like detecting on a metal plate, most of it is magnetic. PI machine dedicated to gold will cut through black sands like butter. All out electronic prospectors normally have a few detectors and coils in their arsenal to find the places that gold hides. Different gold hunting situations will require a different detector. High frequencies do find small nuggets like the 72 Hz GB-2, but less depth is achieved. Lower frequencies go deeper, smaller coils find small nuggies too as well as read between close targets better. 

Just my HO

there is lots of black sand on the banks, so i am going to scan through them. I appreciate all the help from you guys!

Found this on http://49ermike.com/, its where my cabin is, here is what it says for that particuliar area. Warms Springs creek is the stream i will be looking in.

"Ketchum
In township 4 North, Range 17, 18, 19 East is the Warm Springs district which produced 76,639 ounces of gold between 1864-1959. The area lead and silver mines produced a by product of gold. The Triumph Mine, which was reopened in 1927 to become a major producer and closed in 1957 produced a by product of gold. The Sawtooth district also had some silver mines that produced a by product of gold. "

Back
Top Bottom