Coinstar Machines

Well, I'll be darned more silver from a coinstar and this time it was just 1 month not 7.5 years LOL. Noticed about a dozen coins in the reject slot and when I grabbed them it looked disappointing as Zlincolns, mems, clad dime, clad quarter and a recent nickel But then a 1963 Rosie and a 1942 Quarter were in the mix. Woot.

I've yet to pull a silver from a Coinstar machine.

Myself and my 2 boys always check the machines whenever we are at stores that have them.

We've pulled a number of nasty zinc pennies, watch batteries and, being close to Canada here in Cleveland, a fair share of Canadian pennies and dimes.

We still check each time though in hopes of one day seeing some silver. :D

Still not sure who got the better deal here.....

Stopped by Walmart this morning on an odds-and-ends run and on the way out I dropped by the Coinstar. Now, they keep it inside the customer service alcove next to the desk so there's no casual checking of the reject bin. I pretend I'm doing a return and while the person in front of me is being served, I take a peek. While waiting this morning this very strange kid comes in with a small cup full of coins and he starts to dump. Then I hear that distinctive, heavy "thud" in the reject bin. He notices this and tries to feed them through a couple more times with no success. After he gives up I ask him if he's having any trouble and he said his half dollars never work. So without looking closely, I offer to buy what I can. I had $9 in cash on me (dammit!) and offered to buy $9 worth off of him which he accepted. Did a quick exchange and he was on his way. After he left I looked in the reject bin and there was another half dollar in there along with a '43 Merc.

Thinking I was coming out way ahead (and after he was long gone) I looked at my haul. What??? There was $5.50 face value and one was a Canadian half dollar! Lesson to me to verify, but I was pretty excited and didn't look close enough.

Here's what I got:
1964 Half (4)
1967 Half (3)
1968 Half (2)
1943 Canadian Half
1943 Merc

I guess we'll call this one a draw. Each person thinks they got the better deal but damn if I'm not kicking myself for not checking the face value before walking away.

At current melt the 64 halfs are over $17 each. I'd say you came out on top of that with plenty to spare. Nice score!

At current melt the 64 halfs are over $17 each. I'd say you came out on top of that with plenty to spare. Nice score!

If only. Silver is $17 an ounce as of today. Each '64 half is $6.15 melt. Still excited but I'll be kicking myself for not checking what I was given. At least I can find a little peace that I saw only Kennedy halves and not anything older.

Ooops sorry misread the site. Still stuck on IE8 at work and it tends to hose up the page and columns. Still on top regardless.

More Coinstar weirdness!

Was doing a little Valentine's Day shopping and I did my usual Coinstar drive-by. This was so weird I had to take a picture before I made off with the haul.

33kuhat.jpg

Yep. There was $14.95 in change in the reject bin. There was so much that after I removed what was in the picture, more kept falling in. No silver, but there was also a dollar coin and some international coins. The international coins were from Bahrain and Yemen and I seriously doubt I'll ever get to Bahrain and especially Yemen to spend them.

More Coinstar weirdness!

Was doing a little Valentine's Day shopping and I did my usual Coinstar drive-by. This was so weird I had to take a picture before I made off with the haul.

33kuhat.jpg

Yep. There was $14.95 in change in the reject bin. There was so much that after I removed what was in the picture, more kept falling in. No silver, but there was also a dollar coin and some international coins. The international coins were from Bahrain and Yemen and I seriously doubt I'll ever get to Bahrain and especially Yemen to spend them.

ive never gotten silver out of coinstars, i think ive only used them like 4 times lol.

More Coinstar weirdness!

33kuhat.jpg

That looks like the jackpot tray on a slot machine!!:D

I wonder how many people walked right by that before you found it?

Nice find in the Coinstar! Actually about 5 years ago I was shopping at a local market and happened to walk by one when I noticed the rejected coin slot was chock full of Quarters. I picked them all out and shoved them in my pockets and IIRC there was close to $20. No silver though.....Needless to say I look every time I see one. Found a few bits of change every now and then but that's about it.

You all have me checking these things now. I have always checked the atm and self check out bill return slots and have found $20's and so forth but now my hunt includes coin stars.

I refuse to pay a 15% comission to Coinstar. I bought my own machine for $50, that counts and rolls automatically. I've used it for years without a problem.

When did their commission jump to 15% Thought it was 9%. Still stupid to pay anything at all. Wish I would have thought of this idea.

I'm beginning to love all the international coins I'm running into with Coinstar.

Back
Top Bottom