A few old growth logging relics

Pulltabby

Forum Supporter
Found part of this long two man saw today, and axe a few days ago. Dug in area of old photo. Thanks for looking.Some of those huge cedar logs were cut up into smaller size called shingle bolts.

From high up on the mountains they were put in wooden flumes and floated down by river stream water down to the mills on our waterfront. Or in really early pioneer days loaded on to sail ships. Bottom picture is a shingle bolt flume, more then a few people have died riding down those flumes.

Have found many of the double edge axes. Only one saw, but know where there is another.

Only in a few rare places can we still see parts of these wooden flumes. Does anyone know what the 4th man on top is holding?

oj/bc ps in wrong forum

Attachments

• men_02.jpg
    men_02.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 3de3f1fa-3903-4639-977d-95bbb8779af1-A31988_141.jpg
    3de3f1fa-3903-4639-977d-95bbb8779af1-A31988_141.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
The 4th man is holding a hand operated auger for drilling holes

Do you know why they drill, maybe to fasten a hook/chain?

thanks

Attachments

• men_08.jpg
    men_08.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Some of those trees were so large they drilled a hole and set off a charge to split them.

Thanks for the great photos and congratulations on some awesome finds reminiscent of our own old growth logging days in the Pacific Northwest.
In years past you could go into the woods and find parts of massive chain saws and huge logging chains.
Today we still find memorabilia from those days, mainly the tiny metal tags used to track Spotted Owls and shotgun shell head stamps from the rounds used to shoot them.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/ebay $9.98 Digger/Fiskars Diggers

Pulltabby, It's great to see your photos of the old logging industry. As in BC, we in Washington find relics of these times. Sometimes I just go out in remote areas in the woods and find cool relics. Coin drops mainly. Thanks again!

Cool pics. It's still dangerous work, but nothing compared to how it used to be.
My Grandfather was a logger when chainsaws came on the scene. He didn't like using them because according to him they attract rattlesnakes.

Cool pics. It's still dangerous work, but nothing compared to how it used to be.
My Grandfather was a logger when chainsaws came on the scene. He didn't like using them because according to him they attract rattlesnakes.

Had to be tuff being a logger that's for sure. Thanks for looking.

I've been involved with tree work for 25 years, and have always admired the pioneers of the industry...

Congrats on the finds, cool thread..

<°)))>{

Don't know where I put it but I remember finding a double-headed axe on a hill top in Chattanooga, that measured about 12" across. That sucker was heavy!

Congrat's on recovering history! HH

Back
Top Bottom