buy an Equinox or wait for the Nokta new SMF

njemt

I want to get a simultaneous multi frequency detector and in tossed right now between getting a Equinox 800 or qait for the new Nokta Marko unit that is supposed to be out this year? I've hear the Equinox has some issues but it's a good machine. I've also heard the new Nokta unit is supposed to match if not exceed the Equinox for a lower price. Decisions decisions. Anyone have an opinion?

I want to get a simultaneous multi frequency detector and in tossed right now between getting a Equinox 800 or qait for the new Nokta Marko unit that is supposed to be out this year? I've hear the Equinox has some issues but it's a good machine. I've also heard the new Nokta unit is supposed to match if not exceed the Equinox for a lower price. Decisions decisions. Anyone have an opinion?

First of all the Equinox has no more issues than any other detector. You just hear about people having issues because there are so many out there. And that nonsense about the newest Nokta will be better than the Equinox?? :laughing:

Steve

I think you will get a window with some great deals on used still in warranty 800's and 600's when this machine comes out. Even if a pod replacement is necessary after warranty the price of a Minelab pod at $350 is pretty good customer support.

Don't wait for the rest>>>>> GO WITH THE BEST!

The new Nokta Makro detector is very likely to be superior to the Equinox in build quality and in some external features that already produced NM detectors come with presently like retractable shafts, vibration and backlit buttons, etc. For their new SMF detector to have better SMF technology than the Equinox……. I doubt it. They would have to have developed a totally new type of SMF tech to do that. Otherwise they (like Garrett’s Apex) will have to use SMF tech that is based on expired patent forms of SMF that were incorporated into Minelab or Whites detectors up to 20 years ago. Different SMF technology is definitely not created equal. Nokta Makro detectors are known for having excellent target recovery speed and excellent target separation in thick trash. Those were two of the weaknesses of most earlier patented SMF technologies. Minelab’s Equinox Multi IQ technology performs well above average as far as recovery speed and target separation. If however, Nokta Makro uses a variation/expansion of Fishers CZ SMF with higher frequencies….that would be very interesting and it would also be karmic justice for all of us who have been screaming for Fisher to modernize their CZ line. They ignored us!

The new NM SMF will likely be priced lower than the Nox 800 but it will probably be more expensive than the Nox 600. Like someone already said, buy a used 600 now and buy the Nokta Makro SMF when it comes out. Keep the one you like best.

Last edited:
The new Nokia Makro detector is very likely to be superior to the Equinox in build quality and in some external features that already produced NM detectors come with presently like retractable shafts, vibration and backlit buttons, etc. For their new SMF detector to have better SMF technology than the Equinox……. I doubt it. They would have to have developed a totally new type of SMF tech to do that. Otherwise they (like Garrett’s Apex) will have to use SMF tech that is based on expired patent forms of SMF that were incorporated into Minelab or Whites detectors up to 20 years ago. Different SMF technology is definitely not created equal. Nokia Makro detectors are known for having excellent target recovery speed and excellent target separation in thick trash. Those were two of the weaknesses of earlier patented SMF technologies. Minelab’s Equinox Multi IQ technology performs well above average as far as recovery speed and target separation.

The new NM SMF will likely be priced lower than the Nox 800 but it will probably be more expensive than the Nox 600. Like someone already said, buy a used 600 now and buy the Nokia Makro SMF when it comes out. Keep the one you like best.

Pure speculation on your part. Rutus now has a multi frequency about to be released with changeable software. https://www.rutus.com.pl/en

Rutus Atrex. This illusion that only Minelab can make a good SMF detector is baffling.

Pure speculation on your part. Rutus now has a multi frequency about to be released with changeable software. https://www.rutus.com.pl/en

Rutus Atrex. This illusion that only Minelab can make a good SMF detector is baffling.

The only speculation is that Nokta Makro can come up with totally new technology. That is not something they have done before. Nokta Makro's sales rep has already stated the rest of my "pure speculation" in her interviews so far.

Rutus on the other hand is well known for their very innovative designs. Too bad Rutus is not marketed here in North America. The Atrex definitely has multifrequency in its beach mode and uses a base frequency with harmonics for some of its other "SMF" Multi Filter tech. I know one of the field testers and he is very impressed and like me, is a long time user of SMF detectors.

I don't ever remember saying or believing that Minelab is the only company that can make a good SMF detector..........

I've have used/owned SMF detectors from Fisher, Whites, Garrett and Minelab. They have all been very site specific and have had places where I simply would not use them. They all did well in saltwater beach situations with lower levels of iron black sand. So far, only the Equinox has proven to me that it can handle most detecting situations that I have run into very well like, saltwater, freshwater, bed of nails in mild moderate and high mineralization, coin and jewelry detecting in all soil conditions and in heavy aluminum/iron trash, micro jewelry and gold prospecting in all soil conditions, etc. If that is the "illusion" that you are referring to, sounds about right but it's real not an illusion. Please note that I stated that the Equinox does very well in those hunting situations. I did not say it was the deepest, fastest, or the best at any of them.

The only speculation is that Nokta Makro can come up with totally new technology. That is not something they have done before. Nokta Makro's sales rep has already stated the rest of my "pure speculation" in her interviews so far.

Rutus on the other hand is well known for their very innovative designs. Too bad Rutus is not marketed here in North America. The Atrex definitely has multifrequency in its beach mode and uses a base frequency with harmonics for some of its other "SMF" Multi Filter tech. I know one of the field testers and he is very impressed and like me, is a long time user of SMF detectors.

I don't ever remember saying or believing that Minelab is the only company that can make a good SMF detector..........

I've have used/owned SMF detectors from Fisher, Whites, Garrett and Minelab. They have all been very site specific and have had places where I simply would not use them. They all did well in saltwater beach situations with lower levels of iron black sand. So far, only the Equinox has proven to me that it can handle most detecting situations that I have run into very well like, saltwater, freshwater, bed of nails in mild moderate and high mineralization, coin and jewelry detecting in all soil conditions and in heavy aluminum/iron trash, micro jewelry and gold prospecting in all soil conditions, etc. If that is the "illusion" that you are referring to, sounds about right but it's real not an illusion. Please note that I stated that the Equinox does very well in those hunting situations. I did not say it was the deepest, fastest, or the best at any of them.

You said you doubted the NM detector would be as good. Fact is, you don't know. You doubting it, is pure speculation. Could be worse, could be better. You just don't know yet.

FYI, Apex detectors on the beach can find micro jewelry as well. Not just the Nox.

You said you doubted the NM detector would be as good. Fact is, you don't know. You doubting it, is pure speculation. Could be worse, could be better. You just don't know yet.

FYI, Apex detectors on the beach can find micro jewelry as well. Not just the Nox.

I said I doubt it...........didn't say it can't happen. I would be very happy if their SMF tech is better than anything Minelab or any other company has produced.

I will buy their SMF detector no matter what. I am a big Nokta Makro fan and I am an SMF junkie simply because the areas I detect in are highly mineralized.

I actually used my former Garrett APEX for small gold prospecting. It will definitely detect small gold but it is blind as a bat in high iron mineralization so it would have to be used in gold prospecting areas with milder mineralization. Same for high iron beaches that I tested it on in California. It did not go well. The APEX did great at the low iron sand beaches in Georgia and South Carolina that I used it on.

I got to disagree on the california black sand beaches i hit almost every night i prefer to use my apex i feel it handles the wet black sand better than a cz or equinox i think only a pi or a tarsacci handles it better

I like my Nokta Simplex, but I know what Minelab can do. Personally I'd go with the Equinox 800.

Look historically at detectors past. Who, in my opinion, still rules the roost? Minelab. As speculated, if Nokta comes up with a truly new revolutionizing technology, then they could be the new king of the hill, but not likely. I'm guessing maybe some new features but nothing really new in the depth tech.

I like my Nokta Simplex, but I know what Minelab can do. Personally I'd go with the Equinox 800.

Look historically at detectors past. Who, in my opinion, still rules the roost? Minelab. As speculated, if Nokta comes up with a truly new revolutionizing technology, then they could be the new king of the hill, but not likely. I'm guessing maybe some new features but nothing really new in the depth tech.

I'm with you. I expect their new SMF offering to stand out in terms of value (ie what you get for what you pay), kind of like their Simplex did.

I personally think the new N/M SMF detector will cost less than the Equinox 600.

I'm with you. I expect their new SMF offering to stand out in terms of value (ie what you get for what you pay), kind of like their Simplex did.

I personally think the new N/M SMF detector will cost less than the Equinox 600.

I do agree. Nokta's claim to fame is one of the best "for the money" detectors. You still get far more for more money in my opinion. Anyway, that is how it has worked out for me. The Simplex is kiler for the money, but the Deus, CTX3030 and even the AT Pro and NOX 800, in my opinion, have many more features that give them an advantage.

Last edited:
So decided to go with the Equinox. I'm liking the information provided so far on the Nokta but the constant pushing back of the release date (I know it's because of world conditions) makes me think it's going to be pushed back again until next year. Maybe if I like what I see when it come out I will pick it up also.

While I like my NM, I'm always hesitant to snap up a new machine without getting feedback from others on how it performs...shortcomings, etc. The Equinox is a proven MD'er that many own and like. I'd wait for the NM to be released and find out what everyone thinks once the smoke has settled. Personally, I'm interested in the NM, but would need a lot of convincing to buy one. Whatever you decide, happy hunting!

Learn it and your Equinox will get you some goods👍
I must say though it's a good thing Minelab gave it the 5 or 50 tone options because I think I would have sold it if it didn't have the Five tones. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom