Civil War Era Relics found in Colorado

TheDirtKing

Civil War era relics found in Colorado. From what I can tell, .54 cal Star Carbine bullets, general service vest eagle buttons made by William Lang out of Boston. Still buzzing, never thought I would be finding Civ in Colorado.

lc6ht0k.jpg

jCZ3Skl.jpg

YACHOAH.jpg

KGXE38G.jpg

4ZmbL74.jpg

Colorado became a state and was subject to the Lincoln conscription act. But the men who served from that state never made it to the civil war, they were kept local to deal with the Indians.

These are more likely to be post-civil war items due to what 'duggap' posted and due to the western expansion after the civil war.

Regardless, these are still great finds.

Interesting....The only W. Lang I can find that made buttons was in the 1850's...

Source: American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates. "William Lang, Boston. Two William Langs appear in the Boston CD's during the period 1840-1860. One, on Market St. was merchant in West India goods. The other (William B.) was in the iron & steel business. The former most likely is the one whose b/m is on uniform buttons. Lang had an Army contract on Apr. 14, 1857 for 1,050 gross coat buttons, 1,250 gross vest buttons; apparently the eagle buttons with Lang's b/m are from this contract."

Great finds!!!!! Found my first Eagle button today in Colorado too......Left me speechless for awhile.

Men from the 1st and 2nd Colorado Regiments fought in the battles at Valverde and Glorietta Pass in 1862 in New Mexico Territory. They also took part in the 5 year conflict with the Cheyenne, Arapahoe and Lakota along the South and North Platte and their tributaries from 1864 to 1869 including the Sand Creek Massacre and many of the engagements that came after.

Jeff

Those bullets look like star carbine. Nice finds buddy. Looks like you're onto a camp.

Yes they are from the Starr Carbine. 45 cal I believe which were issued mainly to Cavalry units.

We think we are either on a small camp or resting spot along an old well traveled trail we found maps for. This spot is about 1/4 mile from a well know historical stage stop on one of the main routes getting from Denver to the South back in the day. W Lang made Cavalry coat and vest buttons so on top of all the Starr Carbine (Cavalry rifle) bullets weve found (about 40 so far, all dropped) plus other items, we believe it is a Cavalry camp.

Here are pics of some 44 cal Colt bullets, another eagle, and underwear buttons I found in a few hours out there this weekend.

FiMFxCK.jpg
B9UqdET.jpg
L7Qq9Ib.jpg
C9kbDq2.jpg
deFDINN.jpg
3CYi1lx.jpg

Contrary to earlier posts Colorado did make it into the war, the Colorado cavalry regiments were sent to New Mexico to meet the Confederates at their attempt for the California gold fields. Many members of the Colorado Cavalry were armed with Starr carbines. The battle that Colorado's troops are known for the best shaped America just as much if not more then any battle of the Civil War. The Sand Creek Massacre set the tone for the advancement of Manifest Destiny by changing the attitude of many Indians from peaceful to hostile to the blue coats. In return it led to soldiers in fear engaging peaceful bands which led to more hostility which boiled to the Powder River Expedition and Red Cloud's War which after many years kept harsh feelings smouldering until one of the most significant dates in American history, June 25, 1876 at the Battle of Little Big Horn. Afterwords the participants were hunted to near extinction and forced to submit at any terms. The story is the same across the west, and the Sand Creek Massacre fueled the war for expansion. Make no mistake, the regiments of the Colorado cavalry had just as much to do with the course of American history than any regiment.

Back
Top Bottom