Garrett Pro-Pointer vs. Detectorpro Pistol Probe

RIP,

After using the Vibra-Probe 580 in our testing, I have decided this is the PinPointer for me. It faired very well in our testing and was a very pleasant surprise to most. See my posted report on PinPointer Testing to see our findings on this pinpointer.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk
I also liked the fact that the vibra-probe is water proof and no sound. It will interfere with my fisher f5 if it gets to close to the coil, but no big deal I just keep the coil turned away from the hole when useing the probe.

Great thread.

Hello,
This is my first day on this forum, and I am surprised at the quality of the threads here. Great thread, and I would like to thank everyone that shared in this!

It looks like the 580 is the ticket. What is the average battery life?

Kind Regards,
Steve

I also liked the fact that the vibra-probe is water proof and no sound. It will interfere with my fisher f5 if it gets to close to the coil, but no big deal I just keep the coil turned away from the hole when useing the probe.

I agree, and as long as people follow your advice about keep the coil away from the pinponter, the interference problem becomes a none-issue.

When I dig my holes I always place my detector down so that the control box is lined up with my hole and the coil is not near the hole. It became a habit when I started using my DX-1 Probe due to the fact it was mounted right under the control box and this placement made it easy for me to reach for the probe. And because of this habit it also prevents the interference problem you touch on.

I also like the fact that Vibra-Probe 580 has no beeps or buzzers and communicates with a vibration feature instead. I find loud buzzers and beeps somewhat annoying at times. Also not having to play around with any knobs is a very nice feature.

I never used this pinpointer before this testing and was so pleasantly surprised by its performance. As all will recall, I had my mind made up and set on the Garrett. But after this testing and using all of the listed detectors and being familiar with a few others, I now have my mind set on the Vibra-Probe 580. I’ll be placing an order for one next week. Simply put, there is nothing not to like about this pinpointer. Three of the guys who participated in the testing and contributed to the report will also now be buying the Vibra-Probe 580.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Hello,
This is my first day on this forum, and I am surprised at the quality of the threads here. Great thread, and I would like to thank everyone that shared in this!

It looks like the 580 is the ticket. What is the average battery life?

Kind Regards,
Steve

tonisteve,

General speaking, the Vibra-Probe 580 will give you about 30 hours of operation from a fresh 9 volt alkaline battery. But keep in mind that the Vibra-Probe 580 turns on and off when pointed upward or will automatically turn itself off one minute after the last detection. This translates into many days of metal detecting.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

It would seem that you have a lemon. I have the Automax V4 and used it alone with another in a recent field test. General speaking you should be able to Air-test and reached dimes at about 1 inch, nickels at about 2 inches and quarters at just under 2 ½ inches. And it will detect a Silver Dollar at 3 inches during Air-testing.

If you have not done so, call Kellyco and ask about returning the defective Pinpointer.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Well, they weren't any help at Kellyco. Told me that 1/2 inch is all a pinpointer ever does. When I told them I had spoken to others that said they had better results, they just dismissed it. The worst part was by buying into the "free stuff" I lost out on the price guarantee, and even though I found my T2 unit advertised for $100 dollars less than I paid for it they wouldn't honor the price because of the package deals. Things that I didn't originally intend to buy until they are offered in a way that it would be dumb not to purchase.

Their loss in the long run as I am just getting into the hobby and will probably be spending a lot over the years. I went ahead and ordered a Garrett Pro-Pointer, carrying case, and Lesche digging tool from somewhere else today.

I am excited to use the Garrett pointer! Should be delivered by the end of the week I hope.

Well, they weren't any help at Kellyco. Told me that 1/2 inch is all a pinpointer ever does. When I told them I had spoken to others that said they had better results, they just dismissed it. The worst part was by buying into the "free stuff" I lost out on the price guarantee, and even though I found my T2 unit advertised for $100 dollars less than I paid for it they wouldn't honor the price because of the package deals. Things that I didn't originally intend to buy until they are offered in a way that it would be dumb not to purchase.

Their loss in the long run as I am just getting into the hobby and will probably be spending a lot over the years. I went ahead and ordered a Garrett Pro-Pointer, carrying case, and Lesche digging tool from somewhere else today.

I am excited to use the Garrett pointer! Should be delivered by the end of the week I hope.

Steven P,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Kellyco. This comes as a surprise to me due to the fact I’ve never had any problems with them and they have always been really good to me. Perhaps this is because my group buys a great deal of equipment from them.

I myself have bought 5 top-of the line detectors as well as some lower price range detectors, some 4 probes/pinpointers, 3 diggers, 3 sand scoops and other gear over the last 2 ½ years. And some of the guys I hunt with have bought more then I have!

Being that this is how you were treated a Kellyco then you did the right thing buying elsewhere. I would never accept treatment such as this.

You’ll love the Garrett ProPointer. It’s a very durable and well made pinpointer as well as a top performer. It is my hands down favorite of all the frequency based pinpointers. After you receive your Garrett ProPointer and have had a chance to use it, let us know how it performed for you and how you enjoyed using this fine piece of equipment.

PS.

Who ever told you that 1/2 inch was the norm for pinpointers is full of full of Bulony! Feel free to have them contact me by way of a Privet Message.

Best Wishes,
Silver Hawk

Last edited:
Just my opinion on pinpointers and remember it is just an opinion.

To me the propointer is great. I also have the automax. I have never seen or used the pistol probe but see a lot of them for sale on other forums. I hardly ever see a used propointer for sale.

The main plus of the propointer to me is the fact it gets louder and vibrates more the closer you get to the target. It tells you exactly where the target is not just that it is there. It can be detuned to get even closer if you are not sure if the target is in the bottom or side of the hole. If you don't like the speaker you can tape over it. I use my finger to muffle it if needed.

What a lot of people don't know about the propointer is that it can also be made to get greater depth by super tuning it. I can get over 3" with mine by doing this. This is not my idea or finding. I read about it on another forum and don't take credit for it.

To supertune: turn on and hold propointer in air, slide a coin or metallic object down the shaft till the propointer starts to go off, It usually starts close to the light, back up coin till it stops. Hold the coin in that spot. Now pinpoint and you will see increased depth. I don't use a coin as I pinpoint with my left hand and just slide my ringfinger down and up. My wedding band does the coin trick. Sometimes you can over supertune and you have to turn i off then back on if it stays noisy. Most of the time I can pop a coin out with a screwdriver to about 3" deep by knowing exactly where it is.

Personnally I don't see much advantage to a pinpointer that can get 6". 6" to where if it doesn't signal when you get closer to the target?

Just my thoughts,

blacktoe

Steven P, PM sent to you about this. We will be addressing this with our staff. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ms. Blaze

Hello Steven P,

First I want to apologize for the issue that you had when calling Kellyco. I have taken the issue to Stu the owner of Kellyco and I can assure you that your problem will be corrected.

I would like to let you know that this is not the way we do business, we value our customers and pride ourselves on good customer service before and after the sale for the lifetime of your product. The sales person or customer service rep that you talked with was incorrect in dismissing your issue and should have simply replaced the pinpointer after trouble shooting with you on the phone.

I know that Kellyco Chick has PM'd you so if you can please let her or myself know the details of your phone call and this will be made correct for future customer calls.

Again I do apologize for any inconvience you expirenced and hope that you will reconsider shopping with Kellyco for your future detecting needs.

Dan Gerrell
Director of eCommerce & Technology
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]
http://www.kellycodetectors.com

Pistol Probe

I bought the pistol probe about two months ago and have mixed feeling towards its performance. This proble can definitely detect metal 4-6 inches deep however it is almost to powerful. In an average plug (not like the trench on U tube) the pistol finds the target consistently but it makes it tought to determine where in the hole its located. It will detect the target if its still buried in the sides of the hole and the bottom.
From my experience this probe would be much more beneficial if it didn't pick up signals from the shaft of the proble...in other words just the tip of the probe.

Ray

I bought the pistol probe about two months ago and have mixed feeling towards its performance. This proble can definitely detect metal 4-6 inches deep however it is almost to powerful. In an average plug (not like the trench on U tube) the pistol finds the target consistently but it makes it tought to determine where in the hole its located. It will detect the target if its still buried in the sides of the hole and the bottom.
From my experience this probe would be much more beneficial if it didn't pick up signals from the shaft of the proble...in other words just the tip of the probe.

Ray
Yep thats why I didn't go with it. Oh and I buy all my stuff from KellyCo, and I always call and ask for Ms. Blaze when I place an order. Guess what, it has always been right. Thank you Ms. Blaze

We(Kellyco) do aim to please, no one hits the bullseye every time but we will continue to try by correcting any issues brought to our attention.

I appreciate the great comment about Blaze. She is great at what she does that is for sure.

I want to start off by saying, SilverHawk, great info! Sorry that a
problem with us sort of hijacked your thread. You've provided good
information, this is a great resource for pinpointers.

Kellyco is committed to customer satisfaction and the issue brought up in
this thread has been taken to the highest levels. We are very sorry for
the way in which it was handled and want everyone to know that this is
NOT the way we want to do business or want our customers to be treated.
If at any time you feel you are not getting the service you expect from
us, please contact me, here on the forum via PM, send me an email, give
me a call! I'll be happy to help you out and get your situation resolved.

I will caution that I am not a sales person, I'm just a web geek who
knows a little bit about our products. But I worked in our customer
service department for seven years and I know how to get things done, and
where to get the latest and most accurate information, so give me a
chance to help you out, that's what I do!

Thanks everyone.
Happy hunting!
Ms. Blaze

I want to take a moment to thank Kellyco ownership and management for promptly and decisively addressing my situation. I can say with all honesty that I am now 100% satisfied with their service. I will recommend Kellyco as a great choice for people to use for their detector needs. It is of course easy for a company to service people when things go well, but it is only when an unexpected problem arises that a company is truly put to the test of what type of service they will offer to their customers. I can now say from personal experience that Kellyco has passed that test with flying colors.

I want to also thank Ms. Blaze for her help. She has been a pleasure to deal with and her dedication to customer service is impressive.

I want to start off by saying, SilverHawk, great info! Sorry that a
problem with us sort of hijacked your thread. You've provided good
information, this is a great resource for pinpointers.

Kellyco is committed to customer satisfaction and the issue brought up in
this thread has been taken to the highest levels. We are very sorry for
the way in which it was handled and want everyone to know that this is
NOT the way we want to do business or want our customers to be treated.
If at any time you feel you are not getting the service you expect from
us, please contact me, here on the forum via PM, send me an email, give
me a call! I'll be happy to help you out and get your situation resolved.

I will caution that I am not a sales person, I'm just a web geek who
knows a little bit about our products. But I worked in our customer
service department for seven years and I know how to get things done, and
where to get the latest and most accurate information, so give me a
chance to help you out, that's what I do!

Thanks everyone.
Happy hunting!
Ms. Blaze

Ms. Blaze formally known as KellycoChick,

You have not hijacked my thread at all. And besides, you lady and are therefore afforded special privileges that I don’t extend to the guys on this forum … LOL

And thank you very much for your vote of confidence in my report on pinpointers as well as the none-bias and accurate information contain in the report. I do my best to be as fair and unbiased as possible in all of my posts as well as my reports on metal detection equipment. Though I’m a big fan of and may be a “little” bias towards the White’s MXT detector.

Feel free to refer by thread to any interested costumer in the market for a pinpointer.

Tell JW and Roger that the Biologist - Ornithologist/Wildlife Researcher from Princeton/Trenton New Jersey area says hello.

JW sold me my last MXT (back in April) after selling my Minelab Explorer SE & II detectors. I got my M-6 last Spring from Roger. And I don’t remember who sold me my first MXT a few years back.

Thank you for assisting Steven P with his V-4 pinpointer problem. I personally own this pinpointer and included it as well as a second one in our testing. And I know it’s a much better performer then his results dictate.

My main objective with this thread was to provide useful and accurate information on pinpointers. And I’m glad that I could at least indirectly help Steven P out his problem.

PS.

JW had mentioned that Kellyco would be interested in photos and some information on some of my finds with the MXT. If still interested send me a PM.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

It would appear that the Sunray DX-1 probe (V3,DFX,MXT,M6) is somewhat more sensitive than Sunray probes made for other detectors. In the video he starts off by saying the probe only goes an inch. Sounds like he is using it in motion mode. With headphones on I can pick up variations out to 4 inches with the DX-1 however 3 inches is more realistic. Here is a little demo video I made showing the variation of sound from 4 inches and closer...

[PBV]http://vid120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/SunRayProbe.flv[/PBV]

A note on oversize plugs. When going after a deep coin a large plug will reduce the likelihood of root damage. The general rule is to try and cut the plug to the indicated depth of your pinpoint. Using a digging cloth and being careful not to chew up the edges with a dull digger is key to having things go back together nicely. Digging any kind of plug in the hot summer is not a good idea in parks where watering can not be controlled and maintained. Spring, Fall, and Winter are very forgiving in terms of digging plugs in my area.

Just thought I would share my 2 cents. Great thread!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
CyberSage,

It would appear that the Sunray DX-1 probe (V3,DFX,MXT,M6) is somewhat more sensitive than Sunray probes made for other detectors.

Thank you very much, this is interesting. Do you any data (an answer) as to why and how the Sunray DX-1 Probe for the White’s V3, DFX, MXT & M-6 Detectors is more sensitive than the Sunray Probe for other detectors.

I use to use the DX-1 on my MXT and had both the Minelab Explorer SE & Explorer II detectors both with Sunrays. This is something I never even thought of looking into; I always assumed the performance would be identical.

My friend who I hunt with still has my old Minelab Explorer SE and my old MXT I sold him, both have Sunray Probes. I’ll have to ask him to ask him to bring both detectors along next week so I can experiment with both.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

After using the Vibra-Probe 580 in our testing, I have decided this is the PinPointer for me. It faired very well in our testing and was a very pleasant surprise to most. ~Silver Hawk

I just order my Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer!!!

After using this Probe during our testing knowing it's great performance, I’m looking very much forward to owning this pinpointer and having it for everyday use.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Back
Top Bottom