First time cleaning silver rings with Electrolysis

Quisp

I've read several posts and watched a few of the videos showing stove top Electrolysis cleaning of silver rings. I figured I had a few candidates and a few hours to spare (and knee deep snow outside). I used the standard method describes in this forum using a stainless steel pot lined with aluminum foil, baking soda and salt. After heating up the water I placed both rings in. Now the ring on the right, I was not even sure if it was silver, but figured I had nothing to loose. I actually kept the stone out of the water best I could not knowing if is was porous or not. Both rings started to bubble immediately. I removed the ring on the left after about 15 minutes and rinsed it off. A little polishing with a cloth and it came out pretty good. The ring on the right took some work. I removed it after about 30 minutes and using a toothpick was able to remove some of the black crude. I started on the inside and was able to make out the word "Sterling". So I freshened up the pot with new foil, baking powder and salt and put the ring back in. Another 20 minutes or so and it started looking like a ring. I returned the ring a few more times after using the toothpick and was pleased with the outcome. So I am able to add one more silver ring to my count, one I didn't even know I had. Here are the before and after pictures.

Dan

Attachments

• silver ring cleaning.jpg
    silver ring cleaning.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 6,446
Wow! Nice job on the clean-up. Congrats on finding 2 silver rings also. You must be a water hunter cause silver doesn't look like that when I find it in the ground. So far my silver has all looked pretty good and doesn't need any cleaning, but I'll remember your method just incase I ever need it. Good Luck on future hunts. : )

Thanks Frankiefry,

Surprisingly, these were pulled from the ground. I found them several years ago and I had not taken the time to properly clean them. Since I'm just waiting for winter to end and itching to get out hunting, I decided to clean them up.

Well, the one on the right was pretty "crusty". I didn't think they could get much worse. I'd give it a go if you have nothing to lose.

wow that actually sounds like a lot beter of an idea than i hadwhen i first started. i used salt water with lemon to create a current and the instructions said to strip the wires of a phone charger but in my ignorance i said to myself "if i use something that pumps more current then it will clean faster" yea i actually thought that. so i striped the wires from an old pair of hair clippers and plugged it in. on the up side, it cleaned the items extremely quickly. on the down side, the water got so hot that it began to boil within about 3 mins and the oxygen it produced was causing the wires to spark in the water :lol: needless to say my wife never lets me clean finds that way again.

wow that actually sounds like a lot beter of an idea than i hadwhen i first started. i used salt water with lemon to create a current and the instructions said to strip the wires of a phone charger but in my ignorance i said to myself "if i use something that pumps more current then it will clean faster" yea i actually thought that. so i striped the wires from an old pair of hair clippers and plugged it in. on the up side, it cleaned the items extremely quickly. on the down side, the water got so hot that it began to boil within about 3 mins and the oxygen it produced was causing the wires to spark in the water :lol: needless to say my wife never lets me clean finds that way again.

:lol:

On that note...time to hit the treadmill...

Nice job with that cleaning technique you used, the rings turned out nice. :cool: The ring on the right looks similar to a ring I found last year. The "settings" are the same, different bands though.
picture.php

Digger,

Cool, they are similar. I just wish I had cleaned it sooner, as it's been sitting here for some time.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom