A Fun Beach Hunt

Compass

Forum Supporter
A friend of mine wanted to go detecting with me for maybe the 4th time in the last 2 years. Even though the surf wasn't so impressive the tides were favorable and I decided to hunt a beach that I don't usually frequent because it is a bit farther than the ones I usually go to. I have had my friend use different detectors of mine to see which one he likes the best and on this hunt I set him up with the Equinox while I used the Excalibur.
We found a stretch of beach where we were finding a few scattered targets in the wet sand although a majority of them were trash. Another hunter showed up with what looked like a TDI Beachhunter but he kept an acceptable distance away and was covering up his holes so no problem. Knowing the TDIBH as I do I thought that it would be a difficult detector to use here with so many trash targets and no discrimination and, sure enough, the other hunter didn't stay in the area for long.
My friend was happy to find more coins than usual and his first ever ring, which looked to be tungsten. However, 3 hours into the hunt he found his first ever gold - a beautiful and decent-sized 10K cross. Needless to say he was thrilled and a new fan of the Equinox. I also found a cross (silver) and a couple of rings but could not come up with any gold.
As much as I would have loved to have found that gold cross myself I was genuinely happy for my friend. I take a lot of satisfaction in setting him up for a successful and memorable experience and feel that he is now hooked on the hobby. :yes:

picture.php

My modest finds.

picture.php

My friend's first gold!

:dingding: You get the assist on that beautiful cross!

Don't worry Compass: I'd rather see a crusty corroded zinc penny off the CA beach here, than a large cent from the east coast ... ANY DAY ! Keep 'em coming :laughing:

Don't worry Compass: I'd rather see a crusty corroded zinc penny off the CA beach here, than a large cent from the east coast ... ANY DAY ! Keep 'em coming :laughing:
Just keeping it real Tom! ;) I hate zinc pennies as much as the next guy but like the old saying goes..."Zinc happens!" Anyway, it is good to see some California action. :roll:

Love that cross. Great hunt.

LOL Tom.
Thanks Detector, I advised my friend to spend some time trying to find the gold chain that was probably lost along with the cross. However, upon closer inspection, I see some patina on the cross indicating that it had been there a while so the chain could be anywhere on that beach.

Way to go Compass! Found this 14k one the other day in chest deep water. You can imagine the size of the chain that was on this one. Looked for it for 4 days with no success. Chains can be hard to find sometimes. If they were ever lost with the charm/pendant in the first place is always the mystery.

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 467
Way to go Compass! Found this 14k one the other day in chest deep water. You can imagine the size of the chain that was on this one. Looked for it for 4 days with no success. Chains can be hard to find sometimes. If they were ever lost with the charm/pendant in the first place is always the mystery.
Thanks Larry, I would think that when the hoop is intact there is a high probability that the chain was lost with the pendant. That being said I don't think that I have ever found a chain (of any metal) after finding a pendant. :?:

On the cross George , best part about it , your blessed once again , happy hunting , Earl :friends:
Thanks Earl, I AM blessed but I didn't find this cross. My friend was blessed even more on this hunt! :lol:

That being said I don't think that I have ever found a chain (of any metal) after finding a pendant. :?:
That makes two of us. I tried real hard on this one. If i can't find it while the water is warm, it may be there til next year since nobody water detects where i do. Our sand lets a zinc cent sink a foot in one tide cycle. Not good for finding fresh gold chains shallow.

Compass

( Thanks Earl, I AM blessed but I didn't find this cross. My friend was blessed even more on this hunt! ) Your friend needs to join the forum , most recently there has been some stink on members posting finds & you tube videos for non members , tell him to MEMBER UP !:fmdfwelcome:

probably someone else found the chain and could not find the pendant.
great find.

Thanks toppjimie!

That is certainly a possibility Maxxkatt but I'll still look for it again someday. :yes:

yep a chain like that is worth looking for some more. ocean beach conditions can change from better or worse in a day.

If anyone else shows a gold chain on the forum at your beach, claim it it yours from the pendant you own.

That makes two of us. I tried real hard on this one. If i can't find it while the water is warm, it may be there til next year since nobody water detects where i do. Our sand lets a zinc cent sink a foot in one tide cycle. Not good for finding fresh gold chains shallow.

That make THREE of us. Never have I found a pendant and then the chain close. And, I have found lots of pendants!

Back
Top Bottom