• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Derringer, beautiful Buckle, Sterling, Silvers, Wheats!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I headed north to Missoula for one more trip to the antique sale, packed the AT Pro and got about 4 hours detecting in after looking at the sale.

I found a short block on my Sanborn maps where it did not show that I had done the curb strips or yards. The first house was a No Permission on the yard, but of course OK on the city owned curb strip. The strip yielded a few wheat cents and then a nice 1943-S Silver War Nickel, along with the usual clad and copper cents. The nice lady next door gave me the OK for her small front yard, found only a copper Memorial. Diagonally at the end of the block I got the OK at a nice corner lot, found some wheat cents, modern coins, and a 1950-D Silver Rosie. Not bad for Missoula lately. After a short break for lunch, I did part of the nearby curb strip, only one good signal, a 1945-S Merc Dime.

The next permission had a yard that had been redone with fresh soil, as my first signal was a deep Zincoln, that yard was a bust. Moving along the curb, I dug the child size Derringer Toy gun, a cool find! At the last yard on the corner I got the OK to detect the front, and found many wheat cents, including a 1909-VDB (no "S" darn it!) and a beautiful weave pattern buckle which I really like!

Since I found that gold ring last time out, I did dig more of the mid tones, and I did get some odd jewelry and a fair amount of nickels out of the yards and curbs. Anyway, a fun hunt with some decent finds, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 425
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 424
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 421
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 428
Nice hunt .
Really like the ornate stuff they had back then. It must have been cooler or cloudy over there. I tried it at an old ghost town in the hot sun and could only take an hr.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Nice hunt .
Really like the ornate stuff they had back then. It must have been cooler or cloudy over there. I tried it at an old ghost town in the hot sun and could only take an hr.

Thank you SemTav! I like that old stuff too, lots of creativity and pride went into making most everything back then a work of art! The Montana letterheads I use as background show the artistry and quality of thought. As for weather, it was hot here but some early thin cloud cover kept the direct sun and temps down till later in the day. I started about 10 am in a shady area and ended about 2.30 when it did get to be too hot here too.

You did great!

Thank you bluebird!

The buckle is awesome LTS. Another fine mixed bag hunt. Congrats on the shiny and all the other goodies. Good luck. Mark

I started about 10 am in a shady area and ended about 2.30 when it did get to be too hot here too.

Yea, I made the mistake of going back out at 3:00. should have waited til 7.

I need to get an AT Pro some day to compare to my Racer 2 and F75+.
Seem like they all have little nuances in trash.
I'll never buy a detector that requires the fancy rechargeable battery so the new stuff is not even on my radar.
4 double A's will last me for weeks or months.

The buckle is awesome LTS. Another fine mixed bag hunt. Congrats on the shiny and all the other goodies. Good luck. Mark

Thank you Mark! I really like that old buckle. I've got relatives in the Pittsburgh area, Bridgeville. Have traveled back there many times.

You're killin' it up there Shiny! See what I did there (Derringer):laughing: Also, got a good laugh on you digging all those mid-tones. I was lucky enough to dig three gold rings out of the soil back in the spring, all in a Month's time. I've been digging mid-tones like mad ever since with absolutely no luck:no:

You just never know the when in this hobby:D

I'll never buy a detector that requires the fancy rechargeable battery so the new stuff is not even on my radar.

The Fisher F series sip electricity like a moped!
My AT pro gobbles power more quickly. It's a gold magnet though!

Where in Eastern MT are you Semtav? I have detected Terry and Miles City a bit, and did some bottle digging years ago in Wibaux. Would be happy to hunt with you and we can compare AT Pro to your detectors!

You're killin' it up there Shiny! See what I did there (Derringer):laughing: Also, got a good laugh on you digging all those mid-tones. I was lucky enough to dig three gold rings out of the soil back in the spring, all in a Month's time. I've been digging mid-tones like mad ever since with absolutely no luck:no:

You just never know the when in this hobby:D

Nice play on words there Silverhorse! And yep, there are some cool oddities waiting in the mid tones, I usually don't dig many unless at a really old property and of course I do chase the nickel signals.

The Fisher F series sip electricity like a moped!
My AT pro gobbles power more quickly. It's a gold magnet though!

Another nice hunt shiny👍

Thanks metal! I get about 16 hours out of a set of 4 AA batteries with the AT Pro, but I run rechargables, so I really get about 2 YEARS out of a set of batteries, plug the charger in and voila! fresh batteries. They really pay off in the long run.

Where in Eastern MT are you Semtav? I have detected Terry and Miles City a bit, and did some bottle digging years ago in Wibaux. Would be happy to hunt with you and we can compare AT Pro to your detectors!
Forsyth but spend most of the hunting season in Jordan.

Forsyth but spend most of the hunting season in Jordan.

Thanks Semtav! RR town with the NP switching yards there, have stopped in for fuel and food many times. Will PM you thru the Forum if I do head that direction.

Thank you Mark! I really like that old buckle. I've got relatives in the Pittsburgh area, Bridgeville. Have traveled back there many times.

Give me a heads up next time you back this way. We'll see what we can do, maybe meet up and see how this Pa. soil treats you. Mark

Sounds good !!
I shoold clarify, by hunting, I meant detecting season.

Thanks SemTav will keep that in mind.

Give me a heads up next time you back this way. We'll see what we can do, maybe meet up and see how this Pa. soil treats you. Mark

Thanks Mark! I've been itching to get back east to see what I can find, may take you up on that. All I need is a couch to sleep on...:lol:

I agree with Flood.

especially like that buckle. It should clean up well.

Thank you maxxkatt, I like that too, probably will leave the ground patina on it though.

Back
Top Bottom