Pawn Shop Metal Detectors

KYBountyHunter

I just started metal detecting in December, but I was wondering if anyone thinks that pawn shops would be a good place to find detectors or if anyone has ever found a good detector at a pawn shop, because I know sometimes you can stumble onto things pretty cheap at some pawn shops. What would be some detectors to look out for? I currently have a Bounty Hunter EX and kind of want to look for a second detector to take out as well, preferably with a headphone jack, which the EX does not have. Any information would be much appreciated. Also interesting stories would be cool too, if you have stumbled upon a good detector at a pawn shop.

I've stopped in a couple around here and all I've found was a Radio Shack oldie for $35 (that I passed on, LOL). I'll keep stopping by every so often, you never know. But, those pawn shop operators really know what most machines are actually worth, otherwise they would not be in business very long.

InTrap

I have bought several good detectors from pawn shops with no problems.
The last was a whites spectrum back in 90` for 125 dollars and at the time it was a great price.
Pawn shops usually guarantee their merchandise too.

Good Luck.

I have not seen MD's at pawn shops yet. Although, I do not often go into them. Strange, I have seen almost everything else you could imagine. :lol: RickO

I called around to all the local pawn shops here when we were first looking for a detector. Not one had any, though a couple were familiar with them.

I would try Kellyco.com, they have almost any brand of detector at really nice prices and great warranties. I have even seen factory refurbs on their web site with warranties...

Mike

I saw a Md in a pawn shop. And it looked used. And thay wanted the price as a new one. I keep looking.

finding a used detector is pretty easy on ebay. Be sure to check all the details and don't be afraid to ask the seller questions before bidding. Also check out their feedback rating to be sure you're dealing with a good reputation seller. Good Luck. : )

Before I bought mine I called about 7 or 8 pawn shops and they either had low end ones or they wanted about as much as eBay gets. I think a lot of them go on ebay to check out values of things. A lot of those flea markets are the same. I been to several and seen ebay loaded on their screens while it was idle. If you see that you might as well figure your not gonna get a steal.

my buddy got a broke tesoro from a pawn shop cheap because a dial was broke, sent it to tesoro and they rebuilt it, far as i know it's still goin strong

Bought a DetectorPro Wader for $80 at pawn shop ($585 new). Owner said he didn't know anything about that model - I think he thought it "looked" cheap because it had no control box/screen.

For novices who want to try pawn shops, I'd recommend sticking to White's, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, and Minelab. And there are a lot of obsolete models out there from these brands, so you really need to know your detectors.

Avoid Bounty Hunter, Radio Shack, Relco and Jetco (yeah, some of those are still making the rounds).

There are sometimes great bargains to be found at pawn shops - just as there are sometimes great coins to be found in parks. But you have to know your stuff!

I bought my Garrett Ace 250 brand new from a pawn shop. Believe it or not they are an authorized Garrett distributor. They also had two used Garrett's a 1350 GTAX and a Treasure Ace, and two used Bounty Hunters a tracker IV, and a (Radio Shack) Discovery 2000.

The owner is a detectorist as noted by his display case of personal finds. The salesman said they get used detectors in all the time. The prices were nothing special,they are right in line with EBay.

I've seen them in pawnshops from time to time, but not often. They typically want the cost of a new one. Pawnshops live off the stupidity and desperation of others, not from any great knowledge of the value of things.

I would disagree with Jason.
Anyone with internet access and a high school education can look up an item and get realclose to the actual retail value. Where these guys make their most profit margin is in their "own" areas of expertise, musical instruments, pocket watches, fountain pens, or coins and jewelry. It's when they don't look it up and act dumb about it that you know they are trying to slip one by you!

BTW, Jason, why don't you read your emails or PM's? I have tried to connect with you several times!

I think the Garrett Ace 250 is the next metal detector I will get. It seems to be very reliable and I know many people on this forum use them with great success.

I bought my Garrett Ace 250 brand new from a pawn shop. Believe it or not they are an authorized Garrett distributor. They also had two used Garrett's a 1350 GTAX and a Treasure Ace, and two used Bounty Hunters a tracker IV, and a (Radio Shack) Discovery 2000.

The owner is a detectorist as noted by his display case of personal finds. The salesman said they get used detectors in all the time. The prices were nothing special,they are right in line with EBay.

I've seen them in pawnshops from time to time, but not often. They typically want the cost of a new one. Pawnshops live off the stupidity and desperation of others, not from any great knowledge of the value of things.

Im going to agree with this in general. Used to be a man could get square deals on guns, tools etc at a pawn shop, I evne bought an old Garrett Master hunter 7 for cheap, years ago

Now many are part of a corporation (Cash America of Britain, First Cash etc)they got kids that look up MSRP on the net add 15% room to dicker and hope they dont have to.

Back
Top Bottom