Fancy Button ID

RF1

Found this particular flat button at a site that has produced a variety of flat buttons and some old coins. This one is fancier than the others I found. It's also thicker and heavier. Says, "super fine b...." on the back. The last word may be "button" but cant completely make it out. Any ideas?

Attachments

• oldbutton.jpg
    oldbutton.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 324
  • oldbutton2.jpg
    oldbutton2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 391
I have an ID for your nice fancy button

Your button is a one piece stamped fancy vest button of the "Golden Age" of buttonmaking. The maker was Benedict & Coe, who operated 1829-1834, in Waterbury Ct. The backmark use of the capital letter "B" for Benedict is scarce, probably only used on smaller buttons, but it is recorded in the backmark book by McGuinn & Bazelon on pg., 10. as B & Coe/Extra, yours is B & Coe /Superfine, which appears to be unrecorded. I have seen many of these types of buttons, but I have not seen that design before. Congratulations on a very nice find.

Massmaps. thanks a lot for the info! Thats a lot of useful info on this button. This is the best site I have, and have found my oldest stuff at this site. It's in central NC, but has a cellar hole which is really rare in this part of the world.

Back
Top Bottom