Square and Compass question

Plugging Away

I have been looking at an 1868 map and came across this, is this nothing or possibly an old lodge site or member. Thank you!

Attachments

• 2017-08-09 19.04.29.jpg
    2017-08-09 19.04.29.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 336
The Square and compass refers to the working tools of Master Masons.
These are used by us Freemasons in order to teach good men how to become better, among other things.
It was probably the site of an old Lodge:D

This is interesting alright! I remember there were parcels of Land called "School Sections".......I believe sort of located in the middle of a bunch of 1800's farms/ranches and allocated for where the school was to be built...

I trapped a school section once...out in SD....no buildings there, just a lone old apple tree entirely out of place, which was odd...every old rancher around called this area the 'school section'....I never knew why...There were no signs of any kind of school at all...It was a good place to trap though...

You might be on to something here...maybe a Masonic meeting location?

The Square and compass refers to the working tools of Master Masons.
These are used by us Freemasons in order to teach good men how to become better, among other things.
It was probably the site of an old Lodge:D

Matmit have you ever hunted around a lodge? There are a few lodges near me that have merged with fellow lodges due to financial problems but have buildings that go back to early 1900s . Have contacted several wm's about properties , no answers yet.

Back
Top Bottom