Thoughts on the Rutus Alter 71

More Rutus test.

How about hunting recently dropped gold rings,,say where many folks have gathered??

Using Rutus I checked using small thin 10k ring,,and some foil,,even foil balled up a bit.

I think I found my best setup here.

Using 5khz,,,Rutus don't like foil,,even foil balled up,,foil from cigarette packs it hits but is very dodgy.
The small 10k ring,,Rutus more energetic on,,,big difference.

Now when both are detected,,ball of foil I tried vs the ring,,,,they read same TID-42/43. Btw I had sensitivity to level 80 here,,lower sens likely provides better results say in the neighborhood of 60.
But the ring is very standoutish tone sounding wise.

If I go to higher freq like 17 or 18khz,,,then this difference is slim to none.

Actually the foil signal improves moreso than the ring does. (But ring's air test distance does increase)

Also,,folks using Rutus seeking deeper nickels,,,freq 12-18.4 kHz your best bets here.

Running at 8khz,,,deep undisturbed nickel signal is dodgy sounding.

Just thought I would share.
With the varied freq capabilities,,some nice strategies can be employed with this detector,,especially with the ability to normalize all tid readings to 6khz.

And with this setup,,you can still hunt coins,,especially higher conductive.
And obviously a person is still on the hook with digging pull tabs looking for gold rings.

Last edited:
Good stuff, TNSS, thank you.

You're showing that the programs may be a good place to get started with the Rutus, but it'll take the time to master.

You're helping me a lot.

Good stuff, TNSS, thank you.

You're showing that the programs may be a good place to get started with the Rutus, but it'll take the time to master.

You're helping me a lot.

Yep, it will take time for sure.
I am on a crash course of sorts.

New Rutus users,,,the hodograph does work.
But before you get too much confidence with its use,,,try this.

Sweep a clad dime and note hodograph signature.
Next place a square tab real close,,not touching the dime,,then sweep,,,note hodograph signature.

Not what you think it would be...is it??

Note tone,,,in the field,,a good tone and a not so good hodograph,,,might mean colocated nonferrous of differing levels conductivity wise.

More Rutus test.

How about hunting recently dropped gold rings,,say where many folks have gathered??

Using Rutus I checked using small thin 10k ring,,and some foil,,even foil balled up a bit.

I think I found my best setup here.

Using 5khz,,,Rutus don't like foil,,even foil balled up,,foil from cigarette packs it hits but is very dodgy.
The small 10k ring,,Rutus more energetic on,,,big difference.

Now when both are detected,,ball of foil I tried vs the ring,,,,they read same TID-42/43. Btw I had sensitivity to level 80 here,,lower sens likely provides better results say in the neighborhood of 60.
But the ring is very standoutish tone sounding wise.

If I go to higher freq like 17 or 18khz,,,then this difference is slim to none.

Actually the foil signal improves moreso than the ring does. (But ring's air test distance does increase)

Also,,folks using Rutus seeking deeper nickels,,,freq 12-18.4 kHz your best bets here.

Running at 8khz,,,deep undisturbed nickel signal is dodgy sounding.

Just thought I would share.
With the varied freq capabilities,,some nice strategies can be employed with this detector,,especially with the ability to normalize all tid readings to 6khz.

And with this setup,,you can still hunt coins,,especially higher conductive.
And obviously a person is still on the hook with digging pull tabs looking for gold rings.

Did you try a little bigger ring and a modern square pull tab? Some of the those will ring up and sound so solid that they fool me quite often...actually more than quite often:lol: If there's a detector out there that can differentiate between a pulltab (modern or old ring style beavertail), I would like to know about it.

EDIT: sorry, I just saw your very last sentence!

Talking about golden rings, In february I found this beauty nearby the river here.
About 15 cm (6 inch) down, VDI of 46, straight hodograph, good signal.
Turned out to be an oldy, made between 1780 and 1807 by a goldsmith named Abraham te West. He used to have his workshop in a nearby city.

net_gevonden.jpg

ff_passen.jpg

ring1.jpg

Found it using the factory set coins program at 15 kHz.

Talking about golden rings, In february I found this beauty nearby the river here.
Turned out to be an oldy, made between 1780 and 1807 by a goldsmith named Abraham te West. He used to have his workshop in a nearby city.

net_gevonden.jpg

ff_passen.jpg

ring1.jpg

That is a beautiful find! Congratulations!

Lovely ring Vinny, is that your video of running multi tones?

Thx ghound,

The one showing a full tone audio profile is mine, this was in my backyard.
Just to show how the audio is following the hodograph.

I have tried to film during hunts but it is just to much hassle and cost me precious detecting time.

I really like the way you had the tones setup, could you post the setting?
cheers

Thx ghound,

The one showing a full tone audio profile is mine, this was in my backyard.
Just to show how the audio is following the hodograph.

I have tried to film during hunts but it is just to much hassle and cost me precious detecting time.

Alright some comparison results on signal over deep undisturbed nickel ( been buried 2 years).
All detectors wearing dd coils,,Deus wearing 11" coil,Rutus wearing 11" dd round coil,,Nokta Relic wearing 7x11" coil,,Nokta Impact wearing 7x11" coil.
Deus hits well,,would dig every day of week.
Rutus hits well,,can even hear nickel in reactive setting level 4.
Used max frequency of 18.4khz on Rutus.

Nokta Relic
DI3 yields best signal,,,ID mask setting,,the lower the better as well as ID filter setting.
This signal Relic detector giving not as good as Rutus or Deus.
DI2 mode using relic,,I rate no better than DI3.

Nokta Impact
20khz yields best signal,,,ID mask setting 0 here is critical, DI3 mode yielded best signal,,better than DI4 by a rather large margin.,,I rate the signal achieved with Impact not as good as the Relic detector.
I tried 14khz,,chopped signal.

Btw,,on detectors that struggled moreso above,,,freq offset was done and target swept,,,and proper ground balance achieved when changing freqs.

No massaging anything.
Used settings options I consider hunt able settings.

This nickel is buried in soil that reflects 4bars on the minerlization meter Fisher F75 detector.
There are light wires that extend down 2 sides of this location.

This is only one test over one target,,a nickle.
Ground balance was achieved by all detectors over the same spot of ground.

I may include the Signum MFT in here with its stock coil later. (Btw 7khz coil)

Oddly enough, Keith Southern said the relic was a tad deeper than the Impact in his ground.
Both Relic and Impact will suffer for depth with the narrow coil, put Nel Tornado on and they'd all be close.
There all decent machines, don't think anyone would feel out gunned swinging any of them, just down to what works best in your ground.

I do however love the options that the Rutus offers to dial in for each site, and it's a bargain at the low price, the Deus still has a few aces in terms of weight etc

Oddly enough, Keith Southern said the relic was a tad deeper than the Impact in his ground.
Both Relic and Impact will suffer for depth with the narrow coil, put Nel Tornado on and they'd all be close.
There all decent machines, don't think anyone would feel out gunned swinging any of them, just down to what works best in your ground.

I do however love the options that the Rutus offers to dial in for each site, and it's a bargain at the low price, the Deus still has a few aces in terms of weight etc

Only had one tornado coil,,for F75 unit,,,sold it quick,,didn't like.
In my ground,,it yielding nothing I could see vs stock F75 coil,,,milder ground just maybe.

I don't know how big a company Rutus is exactly.
If they are small,,,one of the bigger in USA should step up,,and partner with them.
Just my opinion.
Rutus is no slouch detector,,,for the $$$ especially.
If it's audio was reworked a bit,,,I would give it a 10 plus for the $$$,,, but in the condition it is in I give it only a 10.

External speaker too,,might could be reworked and improved for sound quality.

Tell you one thing right now,,,if they introduce another model in the future that has similar features to alter unit,,,I will be paying extremely close attention.

Remember I am a big Deus fan,,,so what I'm saying here should perk folks ears up.

Rutus,,if you are reading here,,,make your next detector updatable.
And get a say 8" round DD coil out to public and fast for Alter71 unit.
A 7"-8" round coil dd type could =Deus killer status in some sites.

Balanced Rutus over fridge magnet.

Reading in screen when complete,,,-88.6.

So ferrite likely would yield a -90 reading.

Btw in the areas I used Rutus this far,,after ground balance I've seen somewhere
between -85.4 thru -82.0 in the window.
Medium minerlized ground btw.

net_gevonden.jpg

ff_passen.jpg

ring1.jpg

That is truly a beautiful ring! Just looking at it, you can tell it's old.

More Rutus info.

Tone break setting coming out of iron region.

Rutus iron range is 0-30,, and I think beginners of Rutus should stay with this 30 number or slightly higher here for setting tone break.

But as a Rutus user grows with their unit,,when hunting sites loaded with nails and iron,,,I find a tone break setting of 23/24 may be helpful in sniffing out the heavier masked targets.

Could a person go lower here with the tone break setting??
Yes,,IMO a person could,,but it would be helpful if the site contained mostly
smaller nails.

As I keep hunting,,and testing I may be able to comment on this in the future.

Running this lower tone break setting does give a tad more rink in the tone.

Rutus will find real small things even using 11" dd coil.
Based on my hunts and testing,,,Rutus is better at alerting user to smaller nonferrous than Deus version 3.2, especially irregular shaped nonferrous.
I am not quite ready to rate as far as Deus V4 goes.

Remember Rutus can be run at a slightly higher frequency than Deus,,and this may be a factor here.

Ghounds airtest in a post above does indicate Rutus will strike smaller items.

TNSS -

Are you surprised the Vinnie's 14K ring rang up so low? A VDI of 46 is lower than I've been seeing nickels by a good bit.

TNSS -

Are you surprised the Vinnie's 14K ring rang up so low? A VDI of 46 is lower than I've been seeing nickels by a good bit.

Well,
Nickels will read TID value,,based on how you have detector setup.
For example,,if you run say 15khz,,,but have ID normalized setting of 6khz selected a nickle will read 52/53.

If you select a 12khz setting for normalization the nickel will read higher.

And of course if running 15khz,,and you have real ID selected,,the nickle will read even higher.

Hope this helps.

Well,
Nickels will read TID value,,based on how you have detector setup.
For example,,if you run say 15khz,,,but have ID normalized setting of 6khz selected a nickle will read 52/53.

If you select a 12khz setting for normalization the nickel will read higher.

And of course if running 15khz,,and you have real ID selected,,the nickle will read even higher.

Hope this helps.

He said he was running the default coins program at 15kHz. To be honest, i may have skipped that find even with the good hodograph thinking it was a larger piece of iron.

He said he was running the default coins program at 15kHz. To be honest, i may have skipped that find even with the good hodograph thinking it was a larger piece of iron.

See post 25 this thread.

I should point out,,,the settings of real,,6khz and 12khz,,,they are part of each program.
You can change them,,,but if you do,,when you turn off detector and say hunt the next day for example,,,this last setting will still be there.
And this will certainly affect TID readings,,,and tone break settings as far as how the detector will sound off.

Back
Top Bottom