Illegal Detecting in Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayvinton

So apprently it is illegal to detect in Belgium. My friend and I were driving back into the woods of Belgium and we got stuck, so we had to have a Belgien come and help us get the truck out with his tractor. After paying him 40 Euro which is about 53$ US, we went on our way and started to detect somewhere else. We went into the forest and about 1 hour later while I was digging a hole, the Forest Mister (Belgium DNR) comes up with hand on gun and asks us "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"!!! Well we told him we were digging to conserve what was left of the war, which was the truth. Then he proceeded to tell us to come with him, so we did. While we were walking we asked him " are we in trouble"? He said alot of trouble! He said " it is very illegal to metal detect in Belgium", "there is a new law that came out two years ago that says it". So we walked to the truck and there are Poliezi there and they start asking us question after question, and we answer with out hesitation. One of the questions was why were you back in the woods were you got your truck stuck. So we can only assume that the guy with the tractor called the Poliezi on us. Then he says " well according to the law, I have to take your metal detector. The only way that you can have it back, is to go in front of a Judge". So to avoid all the red tape, we let him have both of ours!!! UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH The day totaly sucked

HOLY CRAP......why on earth is it illegal to use metal detectors in Belgium??...what are they afraid you'll find??....perhaps an unexploded ATOM BOMB!!??..LOLROF :newidea:

I am PROUD TO BE AN AMERIKAN....at least we can dug up things here!!!...and I am sorry to hear you 2 lost your detectors, I'd go see that Judge and ask him why they need to keep your machines and why is it illegal to detect there!!! (but thats me, Ive never been one to respect authority much...) :confused:

DEFINITELY go before the judge.... It will show you had no intention of breaking the law (yes, ignorance is no excuse- but could result in just a reprimand). RickO

I'm gonna read up on that Belgium law to see what they are trying to protect or are trying to preserve. They must have thought they had a good reason to pass a law to forbid detecting.. I'll post up when/if i find out.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. But...

...yeah, meet the judge. Only to get the 'tectors back and pay a fee of 500.000,00 Euros (may be).

Sorry for beeing sarcastic.

Law is law, not knowing will not make a illegal thing legal. It's on you to get knowledge about the rules about things you're going to do in other countries. That's why I had some reading before I visited the United States.
Blood feud is legal in some coutries. Here it it not. And I'm glad it isn't.

Cann't speak for belgium, but here metal detecting is under federal law. Will mean in Bavaria a other law is active than in Hessen. So in Bavaria metaldetecting is strictly forbidden.
And I know the fee in NRW is up to 500.000,00 Euro if you're doing illegal. In that case I'd better spend my detector.

Yes, I feel the same on this laws. It is not correct to rule people in their hobby preserving history. But thats the bitter truth. And the politician are working on this in the United States and the United Kingdom, too. (May be you steel them the lost penny's!).

In your case I'd visit a belgian lawyer to check the chances to get out cheapest from this. (and may be getting the 'tectors back.)

Good Luck on your next hunt.

I can't speak for Belgium, but here in the states you can get into trouble big time. All you have to do is get caught digging on BLM land. You don't even need a metal detector!

Alan Applegate

Wordlwide...

I feel for you guys! :-(

It's not right that such a thing as metal detecting (Responsible, that is, per the code of ethics) be illegal anywhere...save perhaps government or military installations.
In fact, governments should WANT people out there hunting up lost history and treasure! The coffers of the UK have had some benefit--considering the last two big finds over there. Why would anyone not want more history, and more money?
Perhaps that is leverage for some change...petition in the law somehow?
All I know is that it sucks...I am sorry for you guys for the hassle. :(
I hope they give your gear back.

Well after all of the hassel Ray and I ended up on top... Ray was able to get a the Garret 1350 at a decent price so he took a big step up from the 250. I had a 9 year old Bounty Hunter 202.... it held more sentimental value than anything I got it when I was 14 and it was my first detector. But now my Whites V3I should be here any day now and me and Ray will be at it again!!!

I am PROUD TO BE AN AMERIKAN....at least we can dug up things here!!!

Not really true. Metal detecting is illegal on BLM land, national park land, national monument land, many state and city parks as well. It all depends on where you are and they'll take your detector if you're in the wrong place in the USA as well.

And to think I am a fan of Hercule Poirot! I will have to rethink my choice of Belgian stars........:D On a serious note I would go to court too....what can he say? I mean he's only human and might understand the draw of a fun hobby. Hopefully he isn't an American repatriate to Belgium, he might start going crazy about local parks, city and state parks etc..etc.. You got to learn to do like I do here in the States Wear a winter wool ski hat in the middle of the summer while detecting and most people leave you alone.:yes:

hi,
I will replay on all your american suspicious questions. It's not true that Belgium or others Europeen countries are triying hide something, but we are protecting our tresures from people like(I am sorry) YOU, who are steeling our goods, our heritage. It is well known that Europe has much longer history then US. We have in our ground, things which are tousand of years old. Many people, mostly citizens, digging thouse tresures in secret and never show archeologists or heritage conservators what they had found. Many people like you taking those thing with you to your countries. There's no such precious things in US, belive me.

hi,
I will replay on all your american suspicious questions. It's not true that Belgium or others Europeen countries are triying hide something, but we are protecting our tresures from people like(I am sorry) YOU, who are steeling our goods, our heritage. It is well known that Europe has much longer history then US. We have in our ground, things which are tousand of years old. Many people, mostly citizens, digging thouse tresures in secret and never show archeologists or heritage conservators what they had found. Many people like you taking those thing with you to your countries. There's no such precious things in US, belive me.

What a great first post! :mad:

hi,

What a bunch of garbage! Let it rot in the ground! You can't touch it! What are you trying to "protect"? If it's so important, why aren't the archeologists out there recoverying these items?

Probably mass graves, so many dirty secrets hidden in the dirt, look at what the russians and nazis did to the poles.

I was a little harsh, i do see both sides to the argument

BTW, metal detecting and prospecting IS allowed on BLM land. Digging up old stuff- more than 100 years old - is not. Archeological sites might be taken off limits.

hi,

Welcome to the forum! There are lots of very knowlegable folks here who can answer any questions you may have. I look forward to hearing about your finds and seeing the pictures. Best wishes and hh, Dave.

hi,

Oh, YOU'RE gonna be REAL POPULAR on here!

First impressions are always the ones that last.... thanks for calling us a bunch of thieves! So the remnants of TWO World Wars is what you want to call your heritage?? I think you'd better lurk and learn before you open your mouth again!

:( :roll: :no: :(

Welcome to FMDF omletem.

Sounds like you probably got some wrong/bad information about America. Truth is, there has been people stomping around, and loosing stuff, for over 40,000 years in America. Just as your historical relics are "precious" to you ours are also precious to us.

hi,

Karma is precious, its all around us ALL. Go find your karma any way you know how.

"tousands and tousands of years of things are under all the ground in all the universe. Some Huumans just don't get how little we really matter in the whole sckeem of tings. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom