First hunt with the CTX...WOW...

steveg

Elite Member
Hi all!

Just wanted to share my first hunt with the CTX yesterday morning. I am a long-time Explorer user, and just recently upgraded to the CTX. I've spent the last week reading/studying, and talking with a couple of hunting partners who hunt the CTX as well as a couple of great guys/CTX users on the forums -- trying to wrap my head around the machine and all the different settings and functions.

I had a short amount of time available in the morning before church. I had put together two "modes" prior to the hunt, that I wanted to use. The first was one to emulate -- as closely as I could -- the way I always ran my Explorer -- iron disc. only (roughly the bottom third of the screen) to eliminate nails, conductive multi-tones, etc. Then, the second one I set up to roughly match the advice I'd received from all the folks I've talked to, as far as how they run the CTX -- open screen, combined, etc. I wanted to locate a few targets and listen to them in both modes, to learn the differences.

So, I set out with stock 11" coil for a short hunt, to my old standby -- but absolutely hammered into submission -- local park. I was running the 11" coil, auto +3, and three things jumped out at me right away. ONE -- I LOVE going wireless, with the WM10, TWO -- WOW, what a stable machine, and THREE -- WOW, what a nicely balanced unit...just a JOY to swing compared to the Explorer.

So anyway, I had a spot in this park in mind to really check out this unit. There's a very small area that a partner and I discovered about 4 years ago, a small "hot spot" in this otherwise heavily hunted park that held a concentration of deep, old coins. In a few weeks time, this small area yielded DOZENS of Barber coins and Indian Heads, all from roughly the 7"-9" deep range. After the high conductors began to play out, we switched over to digging lower tones, and pulled another couple of dozen V nickels out of the spot. Since then, we've hammered that small area with numerous machines and coil combinations, under every weather condition and soil condition, to the point that this concentrated area simply does NOT give up coins anymore. In the past 3 years, I have managed 2-3 more coins from this spot, and ZERO in the past 18 months. And I try this spot, at least for a short while, nearly EVERY single time I am there. So this seemed like a great spot to run the CTX through.

I dug some mid-tone targets on the way to the spot, listening to each one in both of the modes I created, getting used to the sounds, to target trace, etc. I arrived at the "hot spot," and within a couple of minutes, I dug a couple-inch deep Sacagawea dollar. Clearly, it's been dropped in the last year or two, but was still surprised it was there. GREAT first coin for my CTX! :)

11-13-17_Sacagawea_first_CTXcoin.jpg

A few minutes later, I hit an interesting signal. There was clearly iron, but I was getting a high tone as well, and was trying to decide if there was a non-ferrous object in close proximity to the iron. I worked the signal in both modes, and decided that I thought there might be two targets. So, I pinpointed the high tone, which it said was 8" deep, and I dug. When I popped the plug, and set it upside-down on the ground, this is what I saw:

11-13-17wheat1920inplug.jpg

Notice the coin rim in the bottom of the plug? Notice that it was a completely vertical, on-edge coin when it was in the ground?

Here's how deep it was -- note my Pro-pointer next to the plug, showing that it was a full 8" deep...

11-13-17wheat8inches-measured.jpg

At this point, I was SHOCKED. 8" deep, on edge (1920 wheat cent)...but that's not the most amazing part. I can GUARANTEE that various machines and coils were over this VERY spot DOZENS, of times. At least. There were simply NO COINS left here to be found with any machine available (which included Explorers, E-Tracs, F-75s, Gold Bug Pros, and others).

Now, to put the icing on the cake, what about that iron I heard? I switched to combined, so I could locate the iron, and then dug another plug directly adjacent to, and partially overlapping the hole where the coin was. This is what showed up:

ironnexttowheat.jpg

Along with all of the other ways the CTX impressed me on the maiden voyage, and there were MANY, I have to say that for this machine, to find THIS target, from THIS spot, before I am even familiar with the nuances of the machine's audio and behavior, that I am THOROUGHLY impressed.

I can't WAIT to become proficient with this machine. Looks like every site I have EVER hunted, has now been "opened back up" again!

All I can say is, Minelab has done it again...they have impressed me in a way I never thought possible, just like they did when I first switched over to FBS units in the first place...

Steve

Last edited:
The CTX truly is a great machine, and like you've said, it is so well balanced that I can walk for hours without my arms getting tired. My arm would get more tired much quicker with the X-Terra.

And I love how I can track my finds using X-Change2, and also how I can create search modes on the computer and then upload them onto the detector. :)

Great review and the CTX has so much to offer you will simply enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Headed out for another hunt shortly...I need to see what this machine will do next! :)

Steve

You don't have to convince CTX owners, we already knew...lol

Congrats on your finds and new found excitement!

Either people bond with the ctx or they don’t. You my friend will bond for sure and the best is yet to come once you have some hours under your belt and get the ear for what it’s telling you. Sounds like you have a solid handle on it so far for just getting it and are at the point that took me months to get to. Congrats on the new machine, you will love it and continue to be amazed. Great write up! Just wait till you run that 17” coil at your deep coin spots... If I could offer one piece of advise it would be get to know your pinpoint. That’s where depth readings are more accurate and you will also learn what’s actually under the coil when there is more then one target. Pinpoint allows you to pick the target area apart from different directions.

Just when I think that I miss my CTX, I pick up a machine and go detecting. One thing missed is the target trace feature. I can see multiple targets with the berkut 5, and probably with other 2Aka machines if I Set them up to do so ,depth is what I gained by changing brands. Good luck and many more finds with the CTX.:cool:

Just when I think that I miss my CTX, I pick up a machine and go detecting. One thing missed is the target trace feature. I can see multiple targets with the berkut 5, and probably with other 2Aka machines if I Set them up to do so ,depth is what I gained by changing brands. Good luck and many more finds with the CTX.:cool:

What depths are you digging say a silver dime at? And how confident are you your digging a coin at the time? And with what detector? Not debating what your saying by any means just curious.

What depths are you digging say a silver dime at? And how confident are you your digging a coin at the time? And with what detector? Not debating what your saying by any means just curious.

Aka Berkut 5 1939 mercury dime at 13.5" deep, id positive as dime or deep wheatback as the id on wheats will often climb slightly with depth. It just may be that I haven't ran across one that deep before or since, usually 9-10" depth range. I'm not here to bash CTX, I don't regret owning one. My Berkut is a older 2013 machine. There is a new Berkut 7 coming out soon but I'll not get one for I own a Aka Signum MFT which will run deeper than my Berkut 5, depending on the settings.The Aka Sorex pro is impressive at times as well and easier to run than other two Aka machines.Good luck with whatever you decide to use and many finds to follow.I regretted posting on Steve G's thread as not wanting to tae anything from his post, he will do well with the CTX,it'll all click with a bit of time, target trace is helpful as anything, Rattlehead helped me tremendously in his posting of info.Bill S.(dirtfishing) and Brandon N. was helpful from the youtube videos they posted.

Aka Berkut 5 1939 mercury dime at 13.5" deep, id positive as dime or deep wheatback as the id on wheats will often climb slightly with depth. It just may be that I haven't ran across one that deep before or since, usually 9-10" depth range. I'm not here to bash CTX, I don't regret owning one. My Berkut is a older 2013 machine. There is a new Berkut 7 coming out soon but I'll not get one for I own a Aka Signum MFT which will run deeper than my Berkut 5, depending on the settings.The Aka Sorex pro is impressive at times as well and easier to run than other two Aka machines.Good luck with whatever you decide to use and many finds to follow.I regretted posting on Steve G's thread as not wanting to tae anything from his post, he will do well with the CTX,it'll all click with a bit of time, target trace is helpful as anything, Rattlehead helped me tremendously in his posting of info.Bill S.(dirtfishing) and Brandon N. was helpful from the youtube videos they posted.

I didn’t think you meant any disrespect on his thread I was just curious is all. Thanks for the info.

Congratulations on the upgrade. The more you swing it the more you will trust in what it says. You will become one with it and find some amazing stuff.

Bibelot...I will preface this post by saying that this is meant to put genuine,repeatable, and documented information into the world of real detector users. When I saw so many people posting that their “this or that” will do fantastical things,I thought that it was a good idea to film what I was doing,if I was going to say at all what the CTXs capabilities were. I didn’t think it was a good idea to just say”Hey,this thing finds coins really deep with stuff in the hole with it” and not have a way to have people see it. As the saying goes...”Seeing is believing”! While I have heard that the AKA branded machines are good hunters,I do not believe that ANY machine ANYWHERE made by ANYONE will see a 13” silver dime with good I.D. in turf. “Good I.D.” means the number is one or two off an air test or the icon is correct,perhaps blipping to the next or previous.
I do not think it would be reasonable to expect ANYONE to take the claim of a 13.5” silver dime with good I.D. at face value. I hunt every day if I can. I’ve found some deep coins with the Explorer and larger coils at higher levels of Manual Sensitivity and the CTX and largest coil. There are MANY guys here who have done the same. For MANY years! I will be willing to bet that NONE of them will claim to have found such a deep silver dime in turf with ANY machine. WHY? Because today’s physics just don’t allow it. By the time you reach that depth in normal dirt,the ground signal has taken over. The brand doesn’t matter.
I’ve seen this thing play out before,and in one of my videos I said so,because quite frankly,I’m tired of it. If I am to believe the extraordinary,I need to see extraordinary evidence. I’m sure there are many on this thread who will heartily,and silently,agree. I’m not that guy. I want YOU to show ME that the AKA is capable of what is claimed. Again....WHY? Because if you can show me through a video of you SWEEPING the target and DIGGING the target and it’s more than 12”, I’m going to purchase a Berkut IMMEDIATELY! I would LOVE to have that kind of capability in turf! But until it’s on film then it’s all heresy,and I don’t want to take anything away from the worlds number one coin hunting machine,the CTX,and just say,”Well,I guess it’s not that good”. Because it is.
Make the video. I will eat crow afterwards with no complaints.

Great post on the CTX Steve. I've owned two 3030's and loved them both.
Nice score on the Sac! I got my first one the other day at the beach.
Good luck with the new toy.
BH

Back
Top Bottom