Detector sling.

hoser

Forum Supporter
Last year when we went to my daughters home in NH, I turned her loose with my DFX and her comment was it was very heavy. So she bought me a sling for it for christmas. I have never used one before, and was wondering how effective they are, and what others think of them. Do they help, or hinder your hunting?

I don't like them but they are a must with some machines (DFX O.K. for me but when they start getting heavier !!!) Minelab's P.I.'s would be impossible for me to use without something to take the weight.
I wore out my arm/wrist joints and its better to avoid the surgery.
Its just a case of picking a design that works for you (and suits the machine) and then sticking with it till you get over the awkward feeling.

Hoser,

I thought about trying one to stop my PI from floating away, but then said only old people use them ;)

I'm not sure what style of harness you are using,but I can tell you this.Those jokers work for long outings.I was on a battle site once and had only one day to do what I could do.So after 3or4 hours my shoulder felt as it was going to explode.I retrieved a dog leash from the truck and jack legged a harness out of it.Man what a difference.I kept on swinging for maybe 6 more hours after putting on the strap.Since then I;ve made a couple improvments to the original leash/strap/harness,and I use it every time I pick up the detector.It may be an Old thang,but I'm not all that old and in pretty good shape.I also like the fact I can use both hands digging and not have to lay the detector down.So in my humble opinion the harness is worth a shot.If you dont like it you could donate it to someone that would use it!hummmmm maybe me?

Well Hoser if you don't like it or use it send it to me and not Hermit, he already made one and didn't post a pic of it either, at least I'll offer to pay the postage and being that it's for old people I won't mind wearing it either!

If I didn't have to wear a coat in the winter time I guess I could just rig mine up on the suspenders I have to wear to keep my britches up :lol:

OK, I am old. Where can you get them? Have 3 heavy detectors.
pop

I made my own (tho' I don't use it... unless maybe, I put the DD-1400 coil on) out of that wide, flat nylon strapping that they put in couches an' chairs for weight support. I jus' thread my belt through the loop that's on one end of it in the small of my back, throw it over my shoulder, and it clips onto the machine at the fulcrum point for good "swivelability".

Poptop.I think you can get them from most any place that sells detectors.
I just made a loop from a dog leash.Then attached it to the detector with
a piece of 2 sided velcro(like the cable tie velcro deal)it holds great.I wear
it like a paperboy bag.I also like Kroms idea.Sounds like that method may
work also.Although I'm already used to the cross strap method.I think what I like the best is.you can swivel the detector back and use both hands to work with the detector still being secure but out of the way.

I also made one from an old rifle sling. From my belt in back over the shoulder and hook onto a plastic tie on the MD.

Lots of people use them over here in the UK. There is a someone who makes them to order, and does quite a brisk trade.

Like Krom, I made my own up, using an old belt slung diagonally over my shoulder, and a flexible luggage strap.

I got the "swing thingy" from Doc's.  It's a bungee cord type deal with harness.  I only use it at the beach where I do a lot more swinging than digging and tend to get arm weary after a couple of hours.  It's also a good safety line so I don't drop my ExpII in the water ;)  Works well; definitely takes the weight off. Guess I'm old :lol:

Used mine for really the first time yesterday on the ski hill. After I figured out how to out fumble the bungee cord, it made things a lot easier. Had no arm fatigue at all.

How does the E-Z Swing compare to the Swingy-Thingy? It about twice as expensive. Thanks.

HH

ZL

I am not sure ZL, I myself do not use one, I just stumbled upon this while I was reasearching pinpointers about 6 mos. back and thought I would share it. HH

You know what works really well?, a bicycle inner tube. I wrap it around the display support post on my DFX and loop it around my neck. To adjust the length I pinch off part of the tube with a squeeze type paper fastner. On parts of the swing there is know weight or effort at all. :shock:

nice Idea!!! But does that get real hot in the summer sun being black rubber?

Back
Top Bottom